The Beer
I Love It When A Plan Comes Together
Premium Member
join:2001-07-24
Lincoln, NE

The Beer

Premium Member

Caps & Grandfathered Plans...

My internet is awesome and I don't want to break it... let me start there.

I am in some funky grandfathered/promo plan that is supposed to be 50/5 @ $59/mo. but my promo has to be running out soon. In reality I have 150/20 with a 3TB cap.
Based on the summer of kids at home I am averaging 650-700GB/mo

I have DirecTV and my contract is up so I kinda want to move everything to MC but I am worried about breaking my current completely awesome internet package and ending up with a 250-500.

Anyone have a list of the caps on the "new" tiers?
Anyway I can bundle without breaking what I already have?
Any ideas on cost once my promo is up?

I will not lose sleep over the speed... but I don't want to kill myself on the cap.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by The Beer:

Anyone have a list of the caps on the "new" tiers?
Anyway I can bundle without breaking what I already have?
Any ideas on cost once my promo is up?

they all ways point me to »mediacomcable.com/site/i ··· net.html for speeds. prices youl need to call and hope they will tell you, more often than not they wont because they dont know what it will be in six months, let alone a year from now and they dont want some one to say "well you said it would be X but because of these rate hikes its now Y"

as for bundling with out breaking, nope. and i doubt your grandfathered they didnt grandfather any one, its one reason i now have a cap instead of unlimited (i made no changes to my service and got hit with the cap like every one else) chances are your just on a promo.

that said, theyl have some one "reach out to you" (call you) because apparently they cant answer these questions online any more. one reason im sticking with what i have, i cant handle phone reps (severe social anxiety disorder, i only call to verify what was talked about in email, if i cant do that the only call ill make is when i cancel, but thats a different topic)

since youd technically be a new tv customer, im sure theres a promo for you. until it expires, at which point good luck.

edit: i really should start reading my posts and fix typos before i hit submit
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

1 recommendation

GLIMMER

there tv is over priced. you wont get a better deal than DTV and if you call DTV they will give you a new discount and new equipment.

The Beer
Premium Member
Lincoln, NE

The Beer

Premium Member

We called DTV today and they offered new equipment and the "Xtra" package 3 TV's for $93/mo. Plus our current promo price from MC internet would be $163/mo (I was off above by $10/mo)... but when that MC promo ends next month I am sure that will go up.

Looks like MC has a whole home Tivo promo for $99/mo +$20 after the first year which would be a good value but the internet is "Prime Plus" with a 350GB cap.

Guess I need to call and find out exactly what happens when my promo ends

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by The Beer:

Guess I need to call and find out exactly what happens when my promo ends

dont forget to ask them about the rental fees and service fees they tend to leave out of the promo quote. example, im paying $30/mo for basic tv, that does not include the $2/per box fee (for the mandatory boxes to decrypt the signal).

im sure theres probably a per box fee for those tivos. last time i compared their "expanded basic" with dvr to directv, directv won by nearly $50.. id need exact prices from mediacom to compare them again, good luck with that. i can get them from directv easy enough, in fact i was surprised how easy that was to do online (no forced call ins)

which is one reason ill be ditching mediacom for tv soon. i have no choice for internet sadly.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to The Beer

Premium Member

to The Beer
I can make it a bit easier if you can send me a PM with exactly what you want. I'll get with sales, communicate exactly what you want to them and find the best price for you. Once I get that done, I can have someone call you and run through the details with you to make this less confusing and easier. If you want me to do that, just send me a PM!
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

as for bundling with out breaking, nope. and i doubt your grandfathered they didnt grandfather any one, its one reason i now have a cap instead of unlimited (i made no changes to my service and got hit with the cap like every one else) chances are your just on a promo.

I believe the original grandfathered customers who did not have caps and then were given caps about a year later were given higher caps than non grandfathered customers. And yes, I believe Mediacom will try to eliminate that higher grandfathered cap if they can.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

me to!

thats why im not changing my service period.
v12dock
join:2011-05-21
Chillicothe, IL

v12dock to The Beer

to The Beer
I use an incredible amount of bandwidth I used 90% my 350gb cap in 10 days. But I was able to upgrade to 2TB for an extra $10 a month. If you are worried about bandwidth just buy more.

The Beer
Premium Member
Lincoln, NE

The Beer

Premium Member

Chad and I talked and I got a call from Mediacom and unfortunately it did not meet my needs. I had talked to someone about a month ago and it all sounded good but I wanted clarification on the current "promo" I was on.

I have this feeling we will be joining the "Cord Cutters" as I can't justify $95/mo for internet and $85/mo for cable. We have like 4 shows we want to watch on cable and I can't justify $1000/yr for that. It's going to get interesting as people just decide they have had enough and stop paying for the insanity this has all become.

10 years ago HSI was like $39 and cable the same. Sure I am getting "more speed" but all the gas has been taken out of the tank. I could totally live on 3mb... but not the 150mb cap.

I can also live without Lifetime 4 for Tweens (And lifetime 3 for Teens)... but they are gonna make me buy it. Blarg

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I was briefed on the conversation and the offer that was presented. These offers change monthly so don't get too discouraged, there may be something better around the corner.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to The Beer

to The Beer
said by The Beer:

I got a call from Mediacom and unfortunately it did not meet my needs.

I am in almost the exact situation as you are. My Directv contract is over and I wanted to combine Mediacom Internet with MC TV service in the hopes of saving a few $$$. Last week I asked for help figuring out prices on the Official Mediacom Forum. The MC Rep (not Chad) sent me a promo package price. No surprise, the MC promo was no savings and I would be giving up many Directv channels and better Directv DVRS in the Mediacom Promo deals. I wanted the MC Tivo Elite promo but was told I could not get that because I am a Internet customer. I have never been a MC TV customer, mainly because they do not seem to be competitive in TV service prices.

My experience with MC the last few years seems to indicate that the MC promo deals seem to vary wildly depending on whom you are communicating with.