uniqs

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Revisiting old titles

To go along with the other thread I made about what's old, I got the urge to revisit an old PS2 game (series) .HACK.

.Hack is a 4 part series, where you play a virtual MMORPG called "The World" - things are going crazy in The World, with viruses spreading and putting players into comas. You play the hero, Kite, who is given a special bracelet that allows you to "Data Drain" infected enemies, and stop the virus.

The game came out in 2003, starting with Infection, (Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine being the other 3) each game is a stand alone RPG, but the nice thing is you import your data from the previous game(s) to have a better footing. The 4 released over the course of a year. You would finish one, and basically be "capped" on levels, but you could still hunt and collect money and items to sell for the next chapter, which was cool. There was also plenty to explore/do while you waited once the main storyline was finished. It does a great job of making you feel like you're actually playing an online game. It's not perfect, but for the time, it was something else. The music, the controls, it all goes well together. The dungeon crawling can be tedious and repetitive, and often times the game can be very unforgiving. If you die, that's it, no respawn, you go back to your last save point, so save often.

Been playing it since Sat and it's caught me again like it did when I bought it new in 2003, it's just entertaining. For those that know the anime, .hack SIGN, the characters from that appear in the game in volume 3. That was a neat tie-in.

Each game also came with a DVD for .hack Luminality, a short OAV series.

So what was the last "old" game that called out to you to be replayed?
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan

Premium Member

I never played any of the .hack games, but I always sort of wanted to. Sadly, they are so expensive to get now though

I really like the .hack universe, I've seen/read most everything except for .hack//Sign (couldn't get into it), .hack//Cell book 2 (just never finished it), the rest of .hack//Link because Tokyopop went under and stopped subbing it), and the rest of .hack//Roots (couldn't get into it...). I also think I finished .hack//Liminality, but I'm not sure

I haven't revisited too many old games lately. If I did though, they would probably be PS2 or GCN games played on the computer. I like ripping my own discs and playing them on the emulator, higher graphics, and all that good stuff.

Noiche
Premium Member
join:2013-06-17
Apo, AP

1 recommendation

Noiche

Premium Member

I recently picked up Legend of the Dragoon (ps1) and want to replay Crono Trigger right now.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

LoD was a great RPG, but the only thing that annoyed me over time, just like the super attacks in FF games, is it gets VERY repetitive. The first couple of times you unleash badass blast on an enemy, you think "Hey that looks AWESOME!" then after about the 300th time, you're begging to be able to SKIP them, but you can't.

That game was the first multi disc RPG I made myself finish, because I didn't want to have to start over again and again like I usually did with FF games. I wouldn't let myself play another game until I finished that sucker. The final battle was long and tough, and gave me a good feeling of accomplishment when I finished it and watched the credits.