uniqs
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

What does "Expanded Service" mean?

I looked all over the Cox website but I can't find anywhere an explanation of what the term "expanded service" actually means. I see it on my bill so I am paying for it but I have no idea what it is.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

You can find information about channels in your area and package requirements by visiting »www.cox.com/channels.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Omaha's is labeled TV Essential, but on the the bill still says expanded service. Omaha's is 28-70

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
thats the best service you can get without having to have a set top box.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to CoxTech1

Premium Member

to CoxTech1
CoxTech1,
Yes, I looked there. But no where on there does it say "expanded service". I called customer service and the person told me that expanded service is the service you get on other TVs in your house that don't have a cable box. This makes no sense to me.

ajwees41,
On my channel line up there is a group called essential, but on my bill it does not say essential. It does however say expanded service.

dvd536,
So the CS rep was right then? If I drop the expanded service then the TVs in my house that do not have a STB will get fewer channels? How do they do that if there is no STB to connect to? Aren't the "open" channels just running down the wire unencrypted? That's how my other TVs are getting them now with no STB.
signcarver
join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

1 recommendation

signcarver to Sentinel

to Sentinel
Expanded Service goes back to analog cable where one would have Basic (Starter) typically channels 2-18, give or take, and Expanded(Essential) which would be the others up to around 70. (Generally the terms Starter and Essential replaced Basic/Expanded and are digital packages that includes the analog and may also include some digital channels that may or may not require a STB) With regular digital service (Advanced), you would get all those channels but they just break the bill down to include the expanded (on my bill there is no "price" for expanded as it is included in Advanced). Recently Cox has offered an Economy digital service which would then get a filter on your line that would block the analog channels that are part of Expanded and you would then get a subset of those in digital form that would require a set top box, cablecard tuner, or DTA. Typically this tier lacks ESPN and such.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
if you drop expanded that'll take you to broadcast basic which is channels 02 - 23 most are garbage and locals[no box necessary]
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
what city are you in? the essential tier is the expanded. Like signcarver posted it channels below 100 that are not digital, or 28-100 whatever your last channel number before 100
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to signcarver

Premium Member

to signcarver
Ah, OK. I think I got it. Just a confusing mistake in terminology on their part. Their website says "essentials" but the bill says "expanded". But, in essence, essentials is expanded.

But the part I don't get is that right now my TVs with no STB do get the essentials (at least most of them). So it seems what you are saying is that if I downgrade to the economy package then only the TV with the STB will get everything but they are going to somehow stop my other TVs from getting them. And they going to do this by means of coming to my house and placing a filter on my line to block those channels? Because, as I said, right now my TVs that don't have a STB are getting them.

And I am in Gainesville/Ocala, FL market by the way.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

1 recommendation

CoxTech1

TV Economy is a digital only service. Analog channels beyond limited basic are trapped at the tap.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

OK, I think I am starting to get this. So right now I have Advanced which is digital and analog so TVs with no STB can see the channels that are not encrypted and the TV with the box can see all. If I go to economy then a TAP is placed on my line someplace that blocks all those analog channels. And this done by a physical thing being placed on my line at my house or out on the street in front of my house or back at the office?

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

1 recommendation

CoxTech1

Analog channels have to be trapped at the tap servicing your home. Digital services can be provisioned from the office.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Got it. Thank you.