chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to bjf123

Premium Member

to bjf123

Re: [iPhone] OS 8

I can't do it ever I still have a old iPod touch I still use all the time.
chip89

chip89 to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
nope not all... Really stupid thing to do...
chip89

chip89 to gadawg

Premium Member

to gadawg
YES! Me to! I don't have the time to go in to itunes and fix it...

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by chip89:

YES! Me to! I don't have the time to go in to itunes and fix it...

Can you quote on your replies. Six pages and I have no idea what you're talking about when you post.

chip89
Premium Member
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to NefCanuck

Premium Member

to NefCanuck
I've seen dictation do that to. On in my Ford escape while linked to SYNC.
chip89

chip89 to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
That's how siri works it dials up apple servers to work.
chip89

chip89 to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
yeah...
chip89

chip89 to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
You know there's links at the top to what I'm replying to.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to chip89

MVM,

to chip89
Not sure if serious.....

chip89
Premium Member
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

OH come on now we all know siri needs internet to work because it uses apple servers.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
That's um...ah yeah...

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
I'm curious to the default encryption on iOS 8 devices. What's the mandated password/key/etc. that you have to select to open the device? Does the option for a simple "slide to unlock" still exist? (kinda defeats the point of full encryption, but still curious)

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

You are not required to use a passcode, although it is strongly suggested when you setup the phone. The device is still encrypted, but its somewhat pointless as you mentioned.

The passcode can be as simple as a 4-digit pin, a full alphanumeric password, or a 4-digit pin + Touch ID.

More information about iOS security than you'd probably ever want to know:
»www.apple.com/ipad/busin ··· ity.html
»www.apple.com/ipad/busin ··· eb14.pdf

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to mityfowl

to mityfowl
Even though they brought back full screen caller ID photo, if you have a low resolution photo, the ID will show up as it did in iOS7...'dime sized'.

Carrollton
@71.170.239.x

Carrollton to RogueMonk

Anon

to RogueMonk
My 4s is noticeably slower with OS8 and it took up so much storage I can't perform a backup

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

GuruGuy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

Even though they brought back full screen caller ID photo, if you have a low resolution photo, the ID will show up as it did in iOS7...'dime sized'.

I had high resolution photos that were "optimized" by ios 7 and they are still dime sized in ios 8. Wonder if they need to be deleted and then added back in order for them to go full size again on the caller id.

On 2nd thought, how can you have a high resolution photo in ios. It "optimizes" all pics, which I believe is compressing them for the device.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by GuruGuy:

On 2nd thought, how can you have a high resolution photo in ios. It "optimizes" all pics, which I believe is compressing them for the device.

I guess it's a photo that I took with iPhone and added it to Contact.
The 'dime sized' one was a very small image.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

said by GuruGuy:

I tried that with ios 7 and they still appeared very small. Still look that way with ios 8. A pic shouldn't have to be taken on the phone's camera to appear the same resolution as a camera phone pic does on a contact. Even a very small photo should be upsized to the correct contact pic size. Is the phone not smart enough to adjust pics to fit contacts
GuruGuy

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by GuruGuy:

said by haroldo:

said by GuruGuy:

I tried that with ios 7 and they still appeared very small. Still look that way with ios 8. A pic shouldn't have to be taken on the phone's camera to appear the same resolution as a camera phone pic does on a contact. Even a very small photo should be upsized to the correct contact pic size. Is the phone not smart enough to adjust pics to fit contacts

Found this:
»apps-reviewed.blogspot.c ··· -to.html

From the comments:
"If you set up the picture with your Iphone: It works
If you set up the picture from an external application: it doen't work (ie: in outlook/exchange w ActiveSync)"

So basically I had already done it from the phone before, but needs to be done again with the new ios? How very effing stupid!

Does anyone else see full contact pics showing up right now that weren't before and you haven't done anything to those contacts?
GuruGuy

GuruGuy to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
Didn't want to quote my long post above, but just tried to edit contact pic on phone. Clicked edit on the pic and nothing.....nothing.......just will not let you edit the pic. Tried a couple of others and same result. Can't edit an existing contact pic.

Tried on two other ios8 iphone 5s
Same result. Can't edit an existing contact pic.

Edit: spoke to soon. You tap on the pic, not the "edit" link under the pic.
GuruGuy

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by GuruGuy:

Didn't want to quote my long post above, but just tried to edit contact pic on phone. Clicked edit on the pic and nothing.....nothing.......just will not let you edit the pic. Tried a couple of others and same result. Can't edit an existing contact pic.

Tried on two other ios8 iphone 5s
Same result. Can't edit an existing contact pic.

Edit: spoke to soon. You tap on the pic, not the "edit" link under the pic.

Ok, I can confirm that deleting the pic from the phone, then adding it back solved the problem and made them full screen again.
Clicked edit, delete.
Then clicked add photo and chose same pic from photo library.
Called the phone and that contact was now full size. Synced with iTunes (and Outlook contacts) and tested it again and pics remained full size.

Guess I need to do that to ALL of my contacts that have a pic assigned. Who effed this up?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to GuruGuy

MVM

to GuruGuy
said by GuruGuy:

Found this:
»apps-reviewed.blogspot.c ··· -to.html

From the comments:
"If you set up the picture with your Iphone: It works
If you set up the picture from an external application: it doen't work (ie: in outlook/exchange w ActiveSync)"

Yep, that's been a long-standing issue.

haroldo
USA

2 edits

haroldo to mityfowl

to mityfowl
Not sure if this was new in iOS 8, or if it existed earlier, but in App Store/Updates/Purchased/My Purchases (EDITED the path) you are presented a list of every app you ever downloaded, including many that you will never want to re download. Slide panel to left reveals an option to hide.

EDIT it only works temporarily, when you leave page and come back, the hidden items return to the top of the list. Bug or a phenomenally poor design flaw?

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

Not sure if this was new in iOS 8, or if it existed earlier, but in App Store/Purchases you are presented a list of every app you ever downloaded, including many that you will never want to re download. Slide panel to left reveals an option to hide.

EDIT it only works temporarily, when you leave page and come back, the hidden items return to the top of the list. Bug or a phenomenally poor design flaw?

I'm not seeing the same behavior. I can leave the page and/or the app and come back and it's the same. When you say hidden items, you mean the ones with the cloud next to them to download again, right?

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Yes, I slid 20 apps they disappeared (yeah!)
I came back to the page and they were there

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

Yes, I slid 20 apps they disappeared (yeah!)
I came back to the page and they were there

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with that behavior. That is your purchases page. At the top you have "all" and "on this ...". Once you've purchased something, I think you should always be able to download it again whether it is on the device or not. Why would you not want to ever see it again?

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by GuruGuy:

....Why would you not want to ever see it again?

When I got the iPad, I installed a lot of things, such as games. I looked at it for three seconds and deleted them.
I believe the items will still appear in the main part of the store, so it's not like I'm never going to see it ever...but, honestly, I can live a long and happy life without ever seeing some of those games clutter up my list.
When I install as new, I have to re-download all apps. I'd rather look through 40-50 apps...rather than 100-200.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

said by GuruGuy:

....Why would you not want to ever see it again?

When I got the iPad, I installed a lot of things, such as games. I looked at it for three seconds and deleted them.
I believe the items will still appear in the main part of the store, so it's not like I'm never going to see it ever...but, honestly, I can live a long and happy life without ever seeing some of those games clutter up my list.
When I install as new, I have to re-download all apps. I'd rather look through 40-50 apps...rather than 100-200.

Maybe there's some way to permanently remove them from the list via iTunes.

edit: I just tried on my iTunes and it looks like it will only "hide" them. A message box pops up telling you that you can always unhide purchases from your account information page.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Unfortunately, the purchase history is just that, your entire history of items you've downloaded from the App store.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Sure, but hide is (should be) a workaround.
I submitted it to bug reporter