spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

1 edit

Bob61571

This Connecticut example REALLY reflects badly on AT&T!!

"Another spoke of his international company's struggle to obtain a Gig from AT&T. They were initially promised one within six weeks, but it took almost 10 months — even though they were prepared to pay whatever the cost. The manager had trouble explaining this delay to his French headquarters, where they easily accessed Gigabit service. The only other place his company could not get a Gig was in a rural village in Mexico. "

If I were Randall Stephenson, I would be kicking some tail and taking names on this one.

Why would AT&T drag their feet(and break a promise) with a customer WILLING TO PAY WHATEVER IT COST TO GET a GIG !!!!! This is a failure in AT&T's process in serving its customers!! And, if AT&T could not keep the 6 week promise, they should have been talking to the customer, with a detailed explanation, and a timetable for expected completion. If I were the customer, I would have been working hard to find vendors, other than AT&T.I can't believe that they were the only choice available.

From a Midwest perspective, it's hard to believe that a densely populated state like Connecticut(so close to NYC and in the Boston/NYC corridor) should have so much time delay obtaining Gig broadband from ANY VENDOR, let alone AT&T. Has AT&T downsized or had too many retirements in its business services department in the Northeast? How about some input from some AT&T folks on this?
jorcmg
join:2002-10-24
USA

jorcmg

Could have easily been the government delaying construction waiting for permits/settling easements.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

3 recommendations

firephoto

Premium Member

said by jorcmg:

Could have easily been the government delaying construction waiting for permits/settling easements.

A local telco with cable hanging on the poles and running under ground doesn't need more permits for cables to hang off a pole and to run under ground.

But yes, lets blame the government for getting in the way of these poor struggling businesses that have a standing offer to buy their entire network in some states.

bluefox8
join:2014-08-20

bluefox8

said by firephoto:

A local telco with cable hanging on the poles and running under ground doesn't need more permits for cables to hang off a pole and to run under ground.

But yes, lets blame the government for getting in the way of these poor struggling businesses that have a standing offer to buy their entire network in some states.

+1

"Could have" been is a useless argument that doesn't add anything useful to the discussion.

"Could have" even been an ET sending radio waves into people's skulls. Anything "could have" been.

fiosultimate
join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

fiosultimate to firephoto

to firephoto
I blame Obama too and also I blame him for dead puppies kicked by little kids
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to Bob61571

Premium Member

to Bob61571
That's not surprising. If they have to run fiber...

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to Bob61571

Premium Member

to Bob61571
said by Bob61571:

Why would AT&T drag their feet

They're THE phone company. They'll take however long they feel like.

/M
jorcmg
join:2002-10-24
USA

jorcmg to bluefox8

to bluefox8
I'll change it for you then to "most likely was".
jorcmg

jorcmg to firephoto

to firephoto
If you think ATT has fiber hanging off every pole then I dont know what else to say to you...

bluefox8
join:2014-08-20

1 recommendation

bluefox8 to jorcmg

to jorcmg
Lol. Don't change it for me. Read the article. No mention of government delays that you speak of. Maybe drink a little less kool-aid?

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to Bob61571

to Bob61571
This doesn't reflect bad on anyone, if Connecticut does it right AT&T can come in and present their options. To do it right Connecticut forms a group and comes up with parameters and specifics for their Broadband Network. Then they could invite all the Providers including AT&T and Google to present their options and cost. Connecticut then picks the Provider of their choice.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to jorcmg

Premium Member

to jorcmg

AT&T should have known whether or not they had fiber in place before AT&T promised the six-week deadline.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to Bob61571

to Bob61571
Outside 3 maybe 4 areas, Conn is quite suburban/rural and has a midevil infrastructure. Fairfield/Orange, Hartford, Danbury, YNH. That is about it. It takes forever to get connectivity there. The problem is that it was SNET and when SBC/ATT took them over they made relatively minor investment. And I jest you not last year T lines still go for four figures.

So now you have the go getter Frontier, and bet that they are going to use that copper until it corrodes or have the trucks hauling it for scrap. They are the anti-investment company. To Frontier fiber is something you eat for roughage.

Conn is a poster child for ctrl-alt-delete their infrastructure.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to camper

Premium Member

to camper
I think this is honestly a more important factor in that case. They should have known if they had the goods before promise of an order.

On a side note even if CT built a large ftth network you can net that the Danbury area would fall to the bottom of the list. My experience from 27 years I lived in ct is that Hartford barely knew the Danbury area existed.
Kommie2 (banned)
join:2003-05-13
united state

Kommie2 (banned) to jorcmg

to jorcmg
They do in CT. 25% of the State has had HFC deployed at one point by SNET till SBC killed it.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

ieolus to jorcmg

to jorcmg
Some times I wish we had a down vote option...

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to camper

to camper
said by camper:

AT&T should have known whether or not they had fiber in place before AT&T promised the six-week deadline.

No Company just throws around Fiber, and then hopes someone will buy it so they can connect them. The Old Days of competition when a Company came in and offered their Service at the lowest price, are gone. With GigaBit Fiber there has to be a plan for deployment, and everyone has to be on-board. That's why even Google has a $300 Installation Fee, and it use to be around $2500 with other Providers. So you guys have to face the fact if you want Fiber in your Community or City, everyone has to pay and want it too.