All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robr
join:2005-04-16

robr

[Caps] Business plan caps

We currently have Comcast Business at the office, our servers are colocated and I need to set up a quick and cheap offsite backup solution, so was considering backing up our servers to the 30TB NAS we have at the office. I read the very vague info Comcast has posted about caps on their business plans and am wondering if anybody has any actual experience with dealing with whatever these caps are. I could be moving several TB a month, I'm not quite sure how much yet, sort of depends on the backup schema which is TBD, but was hoping for a general idea of how far I could go without risking hitting cap limits. Thanks!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

If you use enough data that Comcast cares on a BCI plan then they'll call to sell a higher tier plan, IE there are no overages.

You should be fine, worst case they try to sell you the enterprise plan which if you can afford it I hear is great.
robr

robr

That's great news, thanks. I was planning on upgrading to the highest tier anyway. The faster the better.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well the Enterprise plans are a bit far and above the BCI plans.

The enterprise ones are fiber to the premises and have a high install fee.
robr

robr

Ah ..... Probably not an option where I am, I was looking at the 150/20.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Still on the BCI (IE business coax) plans you shouldn't need worry as I said worst case you'll get a call strongly urging you to upgrade.

and based on what some forum users have said you'd have to use well over 10TB in a month for them to take note.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to robr

MVM

to robr
Found this section in the Comcast Business Services High-Speed Internet service's Acceptable Use Policy page (»business.comcast.com/cus ··· e-policy ):
quote:
IV. Data Consumption

Are there restrictions on data consumption that apply to the Service?

The Service is for commercial use only in a small, medium, or large business as determined by the applicable Business Services Agreement. Therefore, Comcast reserves the right to suspend or terminate Service accounts where data consumption is not characteristic of a typical commercial user of the Service as determined by the company in its sole discretion, or where it exceeds published data consumption limitations. Common activities that may cause excessive data consumption in violation of this Policy include, but are not limited to, numerous or continuous bulk transfers of files and other high capacity traffic using (i) file transfer protocol ("FTP"), (ii) peer-to-peer applications, and (iii) user generated content sites. Your business must also ensure that its use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or degrade any other person's use of the Service, nor represent (as determined by Comcast in its sole discretion) an overly large burden on the network. In addition, your business must ensure that its use of the Service does not limit or interfere with Comcast's ability to deliver and monitor the Service or any part of its network. If your business uses the Service in violation of the restrictions referenced above, that is a violation of this Policy. In these cases, Comcast may, in its sole discretion, suspend or terminate your business' Service account or request that it subscribe to a different version of the Service if it wishes to continue to use the Service at higher data consumption levels. Comcast may also provide versions of the Service with different speed and data consumption limitations, among other characteristics, subject to applicable Business Services Agreements. Comcast's determination of the data consumption for Service accounts is final.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to robr

to robr
If you use too much on BCI, IE: many Terrabytes per month, they might ask you to go to EDI (Ethernet Dedicated Internet over a dedicated fiber line) which is an enterprise class service... I can tell you this mich.. 10Mb/10Mb costs about $800 a month, 100/100 is about $1300 a month this is symmetrical service with a lot better SLA so it will cost a bit more

For us it as a LOT cheaper then bonding T-1's... our 5 T-1's were costing us over $4k a month and that only got us about 7Mbit symmetrical

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to robr

to robr
I will say that we have used an average of ~1-3TB a month for close to 2 years on BCI, and have received no notices about data usage. We are subscribed to 100/20, the fastest tier available in our area.

GotNoRice
Internet Cynic
join:2001-12-04
Lakeport, CA

1 edit

GotNoRice to robr

to robr
Yeah as others have said, there really aren't any caps on Business. In that context, they don't care how much you use, even if your connection is pegged 24/7 for the whole month.

When they usually start to care is when there is an issue on your node. It might be totally unrelated to anything involving you, but in the process of them conducting diagnostics, your usage will be something of a red flag, and it will be awfully tempting for them to assume it is part of the problem. Or, obviously, if the issue with the node is that it's overcrowded, they will gladly attempt to boot heavy users before they actually try to upgrade any hardware on their end.