Search similar:

uniqs
rhaines
join:2014-09-16
US

rhaines

Tower inspections

Good morning everyone,
I run a WISP in Texas and am currently in the process of expanding into another area. I have negotiated the contract with the fire department and everything seems in order, but they have come back with they want me to have the 100ft communication tower inspected before I put up my equipment and also maintain the tower. This is the first time that someone has come back with this kind of request. Does anyone have a ballpark of what this maintenance includes and how often it needs to be done? I'm also looking for an inspector if anyone knows of one.
Thanks,
Ryo
jimbouse
join:2011-10-01
Bryan, TX

1 recommendation

jimbouse

Howdy Ryo,

I would see what they want to see as an inspection. A tower climber can climb and look for rust/problems. If that is all they want, you should be able to find someone to do it pretty easily. If they need an engineer to "sign off" on it, you may be hard pressed to find someone to do it for what I suspect you are willing to pay (at least what I'd be willing to pay).

A Rohn tower can last many, many years without issue. Guy wires could need to be re-clamped or replaced. I'd look into what their concerns are.

Jim

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 edit

John Galt6 to rhaines

Premium Member

to rhaines
New tower or existing...?

Since this is a public safety system, expect the requirements to be more stringent than normal services.

A tower inspection will reveal any structural defects an/or corrosion issues for the main structure and guys, verify proper selection and assembly consistent with the manufacturers specifications, verify proper grounding and power, verify that the base installation is consistent and appropriate for the soil type, verify antenna loading and placement, so on and so forth.

To expedite the process, make sure that you have all of the documents associated with the tower and currently installed equipment and future expansion plans, and ask the FD for the documents for their proposed installation. The inspection company will need to see those also so they are fully informed.

Not to worry...just price the inspection into the tower rental. The FD pays for the inspection and you use that as a selling point to other service providers in the future, if that is the direction you are headed.

EDIT: Oh, doh! Re-reading I see you are going to install on their tower. I'd question why they want you to maintain their tower...don't they have the primary responsibility??

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to rhaines

MVM

to rhaines
inspections cover everything from checking proper tension on guides to the condition of the concrete at the base/anchors to checking for loose/missing hardware. welded tower sections are easier to check out than bolt togethers, but the time/cost of any inspection all depends on the tower and the scope of work in the order. I would call around to a few reputable crews in about a 200 mile radius, you will find the pricing varies greatly and in no case will it be dirt cheap.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to rhaines

to rhaines
I'd say their want for an inspection was an after thought, compared to any serious concerns about the tower's current integrity. Ask what they expect before suggesting an itemized list of things that need to be checked. Above all, look out for your own safety.
rhaines
US

rhaines

Great points, thanks everyone.
I know there is some rust at the bottom of the tower where the frame bolts down to the concrete, (big metal plate) otherwise the guy wires were tight and it seemed structurally sound. I think the rust is their major concern and want to make sure that my equipment is not going to overstress their tower in any way. It's about 100ft tall and the base is about 6x6. It is a small VFD in a small community so I wouldn't think they have anybody there to do that, so that may just fall on me for the use of their tower. Still cheaper than putting up my own I guess.

I'll have to see if I can find someone in the area that can perform those type of inspections. Anyone know of anyone in the Texas region, Jim?

I'm thinking maybe once every couple of years? I have some rohn towers that would probably be good to have inspected also. Just might be a good practice, for the safety of everyone involved...
jimbouse
join:2011-10-01
Bryan, TX

jimbouse

Royce Tower Service is in Port Bolivar. They would be who I call first. They mainly deal with big towers but they may be willing to send a guy out to look it over.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM

davidg to rhaines

MVM

to rhaines
what part of TX, I have worked with a few crews out there.
rhaines
US

rhaines

Brazoria county

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM

davidg

MVM

ok, the crews I have used are all from west of Dallas not gonna be economical to get them down there.