KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
join:2012-07-26
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

[DSL] tDSL 50Mbps

Now that the upload issues with the 25Mbps package have been resolved is there any date for the new tarrifs to be set for the tDSL 50Mbps package?
SirMaple
join:2011-01-26
Calgary, AB

SirMaple

I second this inquiry!

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
Not to knock you, but isn't my original thread (that keeps being updated) the same question?
»TSI West: Anything (sCable & TDSL) coming down the pike Marc?

Marc hasn't answered anything about a 50Mb tDSL tier, so I doubt TSI wants to offer it.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

The original response was they can offer it but the tarriffs had not yet been set so they didn't want to offer it until they were finalized so they had a price to work with and didn't have to jack up the prices if it was set higher than expected.

EDIT:
@bbbc yes I guess it is the same question, figured since yours is more general as it is asking for Shaw updates as well this might get someone from Teksavvy to respond as it is a direct response vs when will it be available.
Luca
join:2002-08-31
Delta, BC

Luca to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

Not to knock you, but isn't my original thread (that keeps being updated) the same question?
»TSI West: Anything (sCable & TDSL) coming down the pike Marc?

Marc hasn't answered anything about a 50Mb tDSL tier, so I doubt TSI wants to offer it.

Actually, this question was asked even earlier (»[DSL] Telus Upload speed increase),
and I think deserves its own thread:

I for one have switched back to telus, since they are capable of offering 50/10 in my area (and have for almost 2 years now). Last I heard TS was still waiting on a CRTC decision.
alphaz18
join:2005-02-26
CANADA

alphaz18 to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
all I can say about this is LOL at this point.
goes much farther back than that. almost all the threads that I have ever msged in teksavvy forum of dslreports is probabaly related to this, going back years :\

so I won't say anything further for the risk of repeating myself , blabla, no good reason not to offer it, blabla they just don't want to offer it blabla.. if you want a 3rd party 50 dsl in Calgary, or "west" just go with one of the other few isps that offer it. teksavvy has no REAL interest in expanding in the west.. if they wanted to expand they would need a branch maybe in Vancouver or Calgary or somewhere in the west to take care of it, because they are located in the east, sorry but in a general sense you always "take care of your own before others" to them their own is Ontario and by extension qc.
Luca
Delta, BC

Luca

The reason TS has not been particularly prompt in matching telus' speeds in the West may well have to do with what you're saying, though the last we heard from them they were waiting for the CRTC. Either way, it would sure be nice to hear an update on the matter straight from TS.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

That is why I am looking for an update, I know Telus has been offering it for a while and they are starting to offer 100/20 although this is for FTTH deployments only currently.
bluenote73
join:2009-02-17
Canada

bluenote73 to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
If you are seriously waiting for 50Mbps you may as well go with one of the providers that has it now. Nucleus, Lightspeed, AEBC, uniserve, to name a few.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

Only problem is none of them offer a static IP's except on Business packages which don't have the 50Mbps package.
Luca
Delta, BC

Luca to bluenote73

to bluenote73
It's more than lack of static IPs... This is what I found out, for instance, as what service would available at my address from the companies you mentioned (please note that I currently have 50/10 bonded with telus):

Nucleus: they don't offer any unlimited plans, haven't bothered past that
Lightspeed: max speed offered 15 Mbps + modem ($70) + dry loop fee
AEBC: max speed available 15/1 + modem ($125) + dry loop fee
Uniserve: max speed 25/5 + modem (?) + dry loop fee - they might be able to provide bonded service but only if you go with a business service

So it turns out all these alternative providers are not really an alternative to my current telus service, at least in my case. I find interesting that at least 2 of these providers don't think I qualify for anything over 15, while I had 25 on a single line, first with telus and then teksavvy for many years.
bluenote73
Canada

1 edit

bluenote73

What does telus' website say if you check your address for availability?
(I don't think I need to tell you that their website is notorious for incorrect results, moreso in the past though)

Oh, and btw, some of those ISP's listed don't charge a dry loop fee so what you see is what you get.

I'm qualified for 50 from all of them that have a online qualifier.
Luca
Delta, BC

1 edit

Luca

I just checked. It seems that "TELUS Internet is not available where you live".

Re alternative providers: On the websites, I also had no problem with "qualifying" for 50 down, but once I emailed their support, and started asking for a quote I had to provide my address. Based on that, I posted the max speed they were actually offering. They were between 15/1 (?) and 25/5. Not sure what are they using for assessing the lines.
bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73

I used postal code or address and my results match what telus says on their website for my location. Some of them didn't really have a proper qualification though.
Luca
Delta, BC

Luca

OK, take lighspeed, for instance. On their online website, inputting postal code, I "qualify" for 50 (though is not specified if they offer bonded or just single line).

After emailing them with my full address, I got this back:
quote:
We can provide ADSL at speeds from 6 and 15 Mbps.
Naked ADSL pricing (per month):
ADSL Connection (6 Mbps):$29.95
Modem Options:
Ovislink OV303R6 Modem only: $ 49.95.
Ovislink OV504WN Wireless router-modem: $ 69.99.

If you have your own hardware, you may be able to use it, but we cannot guarantee it will be compatible with our service.
One time fees:
ADSL Setup fee: $ 0.00
Modem shipment: $ 10.00

Upgrade of service (Price added to 6Mbps service):
15.0 Mbps upgrade: $10.00 per month if available at your location.
It looks very different than 50, doesn't it? It maybe just in my case, I don't know.
Do you have service with one of these guys?
bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73

I don't, but I plan to switch soon and I'm deciding which one. (And also whether to go 25/5 or 50/10)
The difference for me is, I already know I qualify up to 50 because telus told me. Ive been in contact with most of them, but if Im being truthful I don't remember if I did or not give my full address to confirm outside of their tools.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
If and when TSI decides to offer 50Mb, it might be for nothing. If I'm not mistaken, if Telus upgrades brownfields to fibre, won't TekSavvy be locked out of the areas for good?

Metro Vancouver brownfields upgrading to fibre:
»[BC] FTTH being deployed in BC brownfield locations?

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

Possibly however I am not sure if they are just overbuilding or actually replacing the copper.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

If they are doing what bell is doing, brownfields are generally over builds, leaving the copper in place for wholesale ISPs
dolomike
join:2005-10-07
Langley, BC

dolomike

From what I could gather form the Telus door-knocker, they are doing builds but it seems some areas don't have capacity for it. Some contractors were out pulling new line a few years ago outside my place and they were having a hell of a time. I don't see how they could get much more in place without replacing the copper. I guess each area is different.
btech805
Canada

btech805

Are you talking about in apartment and condo buildings? Because in that case I've witnessed a couple brownfield condos have the copper ripped out and fibre ran up the existing riser conduits.

I believe this would require some research on behalf of Bell or Telus beforehand as I'd imagine there would be some legal implications of ripping out copper for a wholesale customer and then not being able ti service them any longer.

But outside of apartments or condos, I cant see how there would be "no room" it's simply put higher or lower on the poles or new conduit down the ditches or run parallel through manholes
dolomike
join:2005-10-07
Langley, BC

dolomike to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
I'm talking about my area specifically which is single family homes and all underground services. Telus has 3" conduit on the right-of-way and in the junction box outside of my place, the 3" is pretty full already. That's why I stated "no-room" because I can't see how they could pull new fiber lines while maintaining the copper.

So there aren't any poles (which would be easy of course), no ditches to run new lines, and I can't see them doing any major construction because the cost factor would be too high. So they would have to replace all the copper, add additional cabinets to reduce conduit usage, or maybe they some sort of trick to handle this. It'll be interesting to see what they do. I'm sure a few people in my neighbourhood will decide to give it a try.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

So I am going to bump this again, it appears Telus is starting to offer 100Mbps over bonded DSL. I am sure this is still going to be limited but it does bring up the point are we ever going to see 50Mbps on the Teksavvy side of things?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Andre

Premium Member

A decision was recently made at the CRTC in regards to the pricing of the 50Mbps service. That being said, we will start looking at this very soon.

I don't have an ETA however we tend to move decently fast on these types of things. (based on previous changes)

Cheers,

Andre
btech805
Canada

btech805 to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
The reason tek doesn't offer 50mbps had more to do with the usage tariffs than the speed itself. The incumbents have to provider the same copper speed to wholesale Dsl as they do to their 1st party customers, however it is up to the wholesale provider themselves whether they choose to offer all those speed tiers.

I haven't read the city decision to which Andre is referring, however previously, 50mbps tiers had the potential to be huge money losers for companies like Teksavvy

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

Hi Andre

That is great news, hopefully Teksavvy will be able to start offering this soon. I want my 100Mbps MLPPP connection!
KaylaIT

KaylaIT to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
I know that is the reason but it has been more than a year since Telus offered it and Teksavvy has been waiting on the CRTC for around the same amount of time with little to no progress from our point of view. Althought it seems that is finally sorted out.
SirMaple
join:2011-01-26
Calgary, AB

SirMaple to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
This is great news!
SirMaple

1 edit

SirMaple to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
Found a copy of the Telecom Order »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· -537.htm

They start talking about pricing in point 34.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

So it looks like we will be seeing about the same cost on the Teksavvy side as what Telus charges?