FTTB
Premium Member
join:2012-07-26
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc

Re: [DSL] tDSL 50Mbps

Well at least we have a date to look forward too.
alphaz18
join:2005-02-26
CANADA

alphaz18

if you want speed or reliability in alberta, go with shaw or telus.. or to a lesser extent nucleus or lightspeed, but if you want.. i'm not quite sure what in alberta... go with teksavvy... i dunno why i keep advocating for teksavvy anymore.. at least back in the east, i used to have decent competitive service from teksavvy.. but in the west telus has 100mbit bonded now, shaw has 100mbit.. lightspeed has 50mbit using telus stuff.. teksavvy has... none of the above, is not particularly cheap .. their 100mbit cable package costs 50% more than shaws own 100mbit package at retail full price.. like what? how can you tell me that teksavvy cares about the west.. there is absolutely no evidence of this.. i'm not sure about BC, but at least in alberta, this is the landscape.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

They got screwed with the tarrifs on Shaw which is why 50 and up are so high. There is no one other than Telus offering 100Mbps which is only available if you have two lines capable of 50Mbps or are on fiber. The only thing they don't offer is 50Mbps on the Telus side which will hopefully come soon. As for Shaw I am sure they will drop the prices once the tarrifs are adjusted in the future.
alphaz18
join:2005-02-26
CANADA

alphaz18

everything in your statement is true. I never said anything to the contrary. but my statements are still true. whether or not there is a reason for it, is irrelevant, its been like that for years. so in light of these facts, how can I justify going with teksavvy RandalIT ?

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

I guess it really comes down to what you want to achieve, I am with Teksavvy because I can do MLPPP but more so that I can get a static block of IP's for much less than Telus and Shaw will offer. I have had issues when dealing with problems like jumpers being pulled at the crossconnects where I live but it really does come down to what you want and what you can deal with.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by KaylaIT:

I can do MLPPP but more so that I can get a static block of IP's for much less than Telus and Shaw will offer

This is why I keep waiting for 50/10 as well... Still hesitating on 2x25/5, rather than having to buy a new bonding modem and new activation fee in an (unknown) period f time.

I am on a grandfathered rate for my /29 with Shaw, but it shows on my bill as $74.75, and then credited back, and I don't even control the /29, their CMTS has the first usable as the default gateway, so I can't do ACL's properly

Overall, going to go with Teksavvy for the routed static blocks, MLPPP if/when wanted, and faster upload compared to my current provider.

Was really hoping to be setup before the latest price increase

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

Any updates?
KaylaIT

KaylaIT to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
Hi Marc

Any updates? Just noticed Telus has put up the 100Mbps package on their website, can't get it but still would at least like to get the 50Mbps through Teksavvy.
jacobhuh
join:2012-10-15
Calgary, AB

jacobhuh to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
Please add me to pool of people interested in this. If it was available I'd take it in a heart beat!

Jacob

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

bump

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to KaylaIT

Premium Member

to KaylaIT
said by KaylaIT:

Hi Marc

Any updates? Just noticed Telus has put up the 100Mbps package on their website, can't get it but still would at least like to get the 50Mbps through Teksavvy.

100/20? Is this bonded VDSL2 or are they just selling a VDSL2 connection and giving you whatever speeds it can sync at?

Does Telus use vectoring out west?

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

It is bonded VDSL with 2 50Mbps lines or if you have FTTH you can get it as well. If you don't have FTTH and you can't get two lines that can handle 50Mbps then you can't order it. I am not sure if vectoring is currently in use yet.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by KaylaIT:

It is bonded VDSL with 2 50Mbps lines or if you have FTTH you can get it as well. If you don't have FTTH and you can't get two lines that can handle 50Mbps then you can't order it. I am not sure if vectoring is currently in use yet.

Nice. Hopefully Bell in Ont/Quebec gets their act together on this as well. 50Mbps max service right now and only if you can get that on a single VDSL2 line with no bonding. If they started offering bonded service for internet access only they could get all the 25/10 people up to 50 and those of us on 50 up to 100. Would be nice.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
said by RandalIT :

It is bonded VDSL with 2 50Mbps lines

I've wondered how this is handled with dry loop, one fee or two? It's sad Telus' dry loop fees haven't been reexamined by the CRTC since even in urban areas, they're commanding high fees from one neighborhood to the next.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

Since no TISP's offer it I doubt it is an issue but would follow the same guidelines as bonded 50 where I believe it is 1 fee per service not per line. Although it is usually a 1:1 as only tbe 50 and 100 services would be using it.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

I've wondered how this is handled with dry loop, one fee or two?

When I was reading the CRTC document, there are two different dry-loop fees, one rate for if you can get 50/10 with one pair, and another rate if you need two pairs. From my understanding (which I admit is limited), TSI was trying to get a blended rate for the same price to cover both
slidebite
join:2012-12-07
t1n3n5

slidebite to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
Lightspeed seems to be offering 50/10 at a decent price for Alberta (unlimited for $83). I would really hope Teksavvy could do something comparable more sooner than later.
»www.lightspeed.ca/person ··· ml#table

Not familiar with them at all so I'm a little uneasy and to be fair, Teksavvy has been very reliable for me so that counts for something.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
Can we get any update on this from Teksavvy?
KaylaIT

KaylaIT

Premium Member

Anything?

danf
join:2005-11-10
Abbotsford, BC

danf to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
Is there a list or something I can subscribe to? So that when it's available I can get emailed or something?

I'm curious about this too.
slidebite
join:2012-12-07
t1n3n5

slidebite to KaylaIT

to KaylaIT
It is interesting that the is a ton of interest but basically deafening silence from Teksavvy. Come on guys, take my money!

digiwth
join:2012-09-21

1 recommendation

digiwth

If it was as easy as just saying "Lets sell 50Mbps service on Telus", I think Marc would have done it months ago

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

that's correct hehe

that being said though.. it's due. we're working on it.. lots of competing priorities. Plus Shaw clearly has changes on the way... may end up doing things once we get a tariff notice from them. which I'm guessing should be very soon.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

I just hope we are not waiting on them for this unless they have a deadline to meet.
bluenote73
join:2009-02-17
Canada

bluenote73

said by KaylaIT:

I just hope we are not waiting on them for this unless they have a deadline to meet.

You're not. I think it's pretty clear that just like always you're actually waiting on Teksavvy.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

nah man. The CRTC released their decision late last year on Telus 50.

Shaw announced to their own retail customers that changes were happening in the new year. If they change speeds to their retail, there is a speed matching requirement.. they will have to issue new tariffs.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Right, but how does Shaw possibly changing things, affect tDSL 50 service?

Even some details would be nice, like which modem to look for?

Estimated timeframe? Q1 2015? Q2? Q4 2016?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Its all very soon. A month or two tops.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to kevinds

Premium Member

to kevinds
and, it doesn't change much other than I would prefer to look at all things west at the same time and do it all at once. It involves many changes internally and re-training and stuff like that. so doing the exercise is non-trivial. Doing it twice, once for Telus and then once for Shaw is not ideal.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Its all very soon. A month or two tops.

Thank you,

At least we'll stop pestering people for updates for the time being... haha

Plus it is something to look forward to