spc
Search similar:

uniqs
droidman4
join:2005-12-12
Ottawa, ON

droidman4

IOS 8 is out

Let's all watch to see if the internet tanks.....

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

LOL my boss just checked his phone and the update says it needs 5.8gb of space on his 16gb iphone 5s. lol...
resare
join:2012-11-07
Greenfield Park, QC

resare to droidman4

to droidman4
downloading it right now (4S) I had to agree to a blank text (No EULA text)....funny

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to droidman4

Premium Member

to droidman4
Release the hounds!
resare
join:2012-11-07
Greenfield Park, QC

resare to droidman4

to droidman4
download time is increasing (started at 30 min remaining.....now 10 minutes later: 40 min remaining......the hounds are released IMHO

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to droidman4

Premium Member

to droidman4
Downloading mine too. Coincidence that google crashes at the same time. (at least it did in Ontario)

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by TSI Andre:

Downloading mine too. Coincidence that google crashes at the same time.

Google crashed first. Though not for me, work and personal gmail never went down.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to droidman4

Premium Member

to droidman4
My boss deleted some junk on his phone and it downloaded in 5 minutes... its preparing update now.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Seems that issue between google and Torix

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to droidman4

to droidman4
Unless I buy a new iOS device, no update goes on my stuff without a jailbreak.

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

Downloading mine too. Coincidence that google crashes at the same time. (at least it did in Ontario)

Google didn't "crash" in Ontario - just had issues at one of their Toronto locations (151 Front). Other locations they have in Toronto and other regions were fine. The issue was routing related.
pstewart

pstewart to droidman4

Premium Member

to droidman4
Got my IPad and IPhone upgraded ... no issues.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to droidman4

to droidman4
My gf just did her update, it looks even more like Android now.

fuapple
@135.23.195.x

fuapple to droidman4

Anon

to droidman4
Downloaded the update an now my phone is broken ... cannot call ...cannot use data ...cannot install the update as it needs data connection !!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to droidman4

Premium Member

to droidman4
I'll let you suckers beta test it, I have no intention of installing till 8.1 comes out

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to droidman4

to droidman4
wondering when Rogers will implement the iOS8 wifi calling feature now that it's released. they were quick to jump on the feature being supported on their network (and one of the first) but haven't done it yet through all the developer builds unlike T-Mobile in the US.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

So to anyone who upgraded to iOS8, is iRadio available yet in Canada?

If not, what a flop by Apple, still US only...

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Where does one find iRadio?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I believe it would be a "Radio" button on the bottom of the Music app.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

One moment caller, please hold the line. Your call is important to us. An agent will be with you shortly.

No button.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

So to anyone who upgraded to iOS8, is iRadio available yet in Canada?

If not, what a flop by Apple, still US only...

It's a rights issue thing, until Apple agrees to pay the appropriate rans^H^H^H "licensing fees" to the royalty agencies in Canada, iRadio will not happen here.

NefCanuck

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck to HiVolt

to HiVolt
the iTunes radio stuff has been out since iOS7 has been released, but as others have mentioned it's a rights/money issue with Canadian music industry holding it back.

you should know there's no geolocation preventing it from working in Canada tho, you simply need to create a US iTunes account with another email address and on your iPhone in settings -> app store set your account to the US one.

i'm not sure how easy it is to make a US account without a credit card, but years ago i made one because Skype wasn't available in Canada in the app store (only US).

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to NefCanuck

Premium Member

to NefCanuck
Yeah I know, i played around with it on my old iphone 4 with a us account... problem is, i have all my apps on my canadian account, so its not feasible to switch back & forth.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

well the apps will still update with whatever account you used to download them with. you only need to switch back if you decide to download another app again (of course you could just start getting all your free apps with the US one).

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

nah, too much of a hassle. I stream just fine from regular streams with Tune in Radio Pro. Apple stuff isn't all that special.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to droidman4

MVM

to droidman4
I upgraded to iOS 8 last night, and I'm really loving some of the new features. Like the custom keyboards, where I've got SwiftKey loaded. What I'm not loving is that it takes 2-3 seconds to load the keyboard every time I enter a text field. As in, I click in a text field, and instead of the keyboard loading immediately, I have to wait 2-3 seconds before it loads.

Hey Siri is also neat. It only works when the phone is plugged in to power, but I tried it out last night. I was lying in bed, facing away from the phone in the dock, and said "Hey siri, is it going to rain tomorrow?", and sure enough, the phone woke up and Siri gave an answer.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

I upgraded to iOS 8 last night, and I'm really loving some of the new features. Like the custom keyboards, where I've got SwiftKey loaded. What I'm not loving is that it takes 2-3 seconds to load the keyboard every time I enter a text field. As in, I click in a text field, and instead of the keyboard loading immediately, I have to wait 2-3 seconds before it loads.

Really? What iOS device are you using?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to droidman4

MVM

to droidman4
iPhone 4S.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

iPhone 4S.

Ah, well that does not surprise me then... latest iOS versions always run like crap on the oldest supported hardware.

But it could also mean that the keyboard makers need to make their code better, or that Apple just doesn't give 3rd party keyboards priority in the OS like they do their own...

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Probably a bit of both. For example, swiftkey doesn't support swiping on iPads, only on iPhone. They said it's because they couldn't fit it into the memory limitations that Apple placed on keyboards. The one on the iPad is larger so naturally it would require more memory.

The time it takes to load the keyboard differs, though. I'm typing this with swiftkey in chrome on my 4S and this time it only took about a second to load.

EDIT: the reason is probably that the stock keyboard is permanently loaded in ram while third party keyboards might need to load each time. They really ought to cache them, but the 4S only has 512mb of ram, so maybe they do cache them on 1gb devices.