uniqs
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Guspaz

to Guspaz

Re: IOS 8 is out

said by Guspaz:

Hey Siri is also neat. It only works when the phone is plugged in to power, but I tried it out last night. I was lying in bed, facing away from the phone in the dock, and said "Hey siri, is it going to rain tomorrow?", and sure enough, the phone woke up and Siri gave an answer.

Do you find though that it has to be really quiet wherever you are for Hey Siri to actually work?

At home or in the office Hey Siri works at about a 99% success rate (It'll glitch rarely) but in a noisier environment it drops to about 50% if that (at least for me using an iPhone 5)

NefCanuck

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I find it that it refuses to stop listening when its a noisy environment, like if you have the TV on or radio playing, or just background noise...

Anyway its a gimmick, i have it turned off.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to droidman4

MVM

to droidman4
I don't know, as I've only used Hey Siri at home. I use Siri a lot, but I'm self-conscious about using it in public, so I've only tried Hey Siri in a quiet environment.

I can say that most of the performance issues I'm having with iOS 8 are not apparent on my iPhone 6. I can't say if the keyboard lag is solved, since I haven't loaded any apps on the 6 yet, but definitely all the hitching and freezing and lag is gone for regular web browsing.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

I try siri with each major upgrade. Then I turn Siri off yet again. Voice dial still works without Siri, nothing else it does it useful to me.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to droidman4

to droidman4
Is there a data usage monitor or warning system like on Android or BlackBerry 10.3?

I know some people who are going nuts trying to figure out data usage on iPhones and don't know what to do. Is their an app they can use or is it in iOS 8? They haven't loaded it yet due to the 5.8GB required, but will if it includes a data monitor (cellular data).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to droidman4

MVM

to droidman4
iOS has tracked data usage for years. I want to say that it always did, but all I can tell you is that it has supported it since I got my 3GS in 2009, I think it was.

One of the more recent updates of iOS (I think it was iOS 6 or 7) added per-app usage tracking, where in addition to being told the total data usage (or rather, on-phone cellular data versus tethered cellular data), you are told the total and the per-app data usage (with tethering usage showing up under the "personal hotspot" app).

I'm not aware of there being a warning system, but it does track your usage, and that's a very old feature.

EDIT: Apple split overall data usage from tethering data usage in iOS 3.1 (which called "iPhone OS" back then rather than iOS), which was released in 2009 shortly after the 3GS. So iOS tracking your data usage was likely supported since the original 2G iPhone launched.

EDIT 2: iOS 7 and 8 track data usage under Settings -> Cellular, while older versions tracked it under Settings -> General -> Usage.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

Thanks! It worked. Can't believe I didn't find out about this sooner.

Too bad they don't put a warning system in place though.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to droidman4

MVM

to droidman4
As a warning, you'll want to reset the usage tracker once a month on your billing date. Me, I set a thing on my calendar that fires off at noon every billing day to remind me to go into the usage tracker page in the settings and reset it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

One of the more recent updates of iOS (I think it was iOS 6 or 7) added per-app usage tracking, where in addition to being told the total data usage (or rather, on-phone cellular data versus tethered cellular data), you are told the total and the per-app data usage (with tethering usage showing up under the "personal hotspot" app).

You mean like Android?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to droidman4

MVM

to droidman4
iOS was tracking bandwidth usage for something like a year and a half before Android even existed. What's your point?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Fanbois?
IOS 6 tracked overall data usage , which was Sept 2012
IOS 7 tracked app data usage a year later

And since Android hit the market (mainstream) in 2007, i find your assertions quite hilarious.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

iOS tracked general data usage when I got my first iPhone 3G, which was on iOS2. App tracking became available in iOS7 like elwood said. It also appears to show tethering data usage separate from overall usage, but I dont know when that came out.

However whats stupid is that you still have to reset it manually every month (I have a monthly reminder to do so) and there is no warning threshold that you can set.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

However whats stupid is that you still have to reset it manually every month (I have a monthly reminder to do so) and there is no warning threshold that you can set.

In Android you can pick a time period, and whether it's cell data or WIFI and see the usage on a per app basis.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

And since Android hit the market (mainstream) in 2007, i find your assertions quite hilarious.

The very first Android phone, the HTC G1, was released on October 22, 2008. Please explain how Android was mainstream a year and a half before the first Android device came out.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to droidman4

to droidman4
I am really suffering without a jailbreak. I find it painful to deal with the ads on small mobile devices. iOS is implementing a ton of jailbreak tweaks as part of the OS, but Apple will never allow ad blocking. A jailbreak can't come soon enough.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

ios8 finally allows devs to use the faster JS engine with UIWebkit, so right now there's nothing really stopping anyone from making a browser with adblocking and running at full speed.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to droidman4

MVM

to droidman4
Javascript performance wasn't relevant to providing adblock before, I don't see why letting third-party apps use Nitro would make a difference now.

Existing browsers are already doing things that would technically let them block ads. Google Chrome has the option to run everything through a Google proxy for acceleration: they could be filtering ads out as the traffic goes through Google's servers. Opera's browsers actually do the *rendering* on the server-side (more or less, they convert it to their own markup), and they could equally be doing ad-blocking.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
You're right , sorry I misread

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz :

Existing browsers are already doing things that would technically let them block ads. Google Chrome has the option to run everything through a Google proxy for acceleration: they could be filtering ads out as the traffic goes through Google's servers.

We know this isn't going to happen. I thought I read that Google removed ad blocking apps from the Play Store. Thank god rooting exists in the Android world.

Opera's browsers actually do the *rendering* on the server-side (more or less, they convert it to their own markup), and they could equally be doing ad-blocking.

I love Opera's browser and how it conserves data usage. I have a feeling Opera would get a veto from the App Store if it added ad blocking.

Other than my new 6 Plus, nothing in my Apple ecosystem is going to iOS 8 until a jailbreak and the installation of AdBlocker from Cydia.

I tried to use SpeedMeUp, »www.speedmeup.net , through Wi-Fi, but it doesn't seem to work worth a shit.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i wouldn't be too surprised if we see safari extensions in a future IOS release with the way things are going.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
You don't have to root, at least not on my nexus,I got adblock directly from the adblock site. I just checked the option to allow installation from other than the play store.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to droidman4

MVM

to droidman4
There are already various adblocking solutions on iOS. The app "Weblock" works globally on wifi by using a custom proxy script (the limitation is iOS only allows proxy scripts when connected by wifi) to redirect requests to ad servers to an IP that immediately closes the connection. The app "AdBlock for iOS" and other similar apps are custom web browsers that filter stuff within their own app only.