Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2

Premium Member

US Steel (former Stelco) files for bankruptcy

U.S. Steel Canada files for bankruptcy protection

----------------------------
In announcing the move, the company's American parent said the Hamilton and Nanticoke plants have lost more than $2.4 billion over the last five years and the bleeding has to stop.

»www.thespec.com/news-sto ··· tection/
-----------------------------

Want more good news?

-------------------
The H.J. Heinz Co. will resume food production in Pittsburgh for the first time since 2002, when the ketchup giant sold its production plant to Del Monte Foods.

Heinz officials say they're scheduled to begin making jarred baby food. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports the baby food will be shipped to Canada.

That's happening because Del Monte several years ago sold its baby food and soup business to TreeHouse Foods, of Oak Brook, Illinois, which has continued to make soup at the former Heinz plant on the city's North Side.

Now, Heinz is contracting with Bay Valley Foods — a TreeHouse subsidiary — to make jarred baby food at the plant under the Heinz name.

The baby food that will be produced in Pittsburgh had been manufactured at a Heinz plant in Leamington, Ontario.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/w ··· .2768903
------------------------

With friends like the US, who needs enemies?

PS: Good luck growing those tomatoes in California...

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

1 edit

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by sm5w2:

In announcing the move, the company's American parent said the Hamilton and Nanticoke plants have lost more than $2.4 billion over the last five years and the bleeding has to stop.

this is hardly "news"...the writing has been on the wall for a few years now...it's simple, it is just too costly to produce steel here now...just another example of great jobs being pissed away because of a mismanaged Provincial Government.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
If they could clear up all that mess around the harbour it would really clean up the appearance of Hamilton. Think of the number of condos they could build up on that property.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
Once again your political bias kicks in, either the globe or post had the real explanation.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

I'm guessing the real reason it's all harpers doing?

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by sm5w2:

this is hardly "news"...the writing has been on the wall for a few years now...it's simple, it is just too costly to produce steel here now...just another example of great jobs being pissed away because of a mismanaged Provincial Government.

So you're happy that your money was thrown into this operation then?

I know I'm not. But what are you going to do, right?

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Once again your political bias kicks in, either the globe or post had the real explanation.

what political bias.

if it was economically feasible to produce steel here, it would be made here...the fact several of the plants have shut down and gone south is no secret, nor is it rocket science for why...you think your house uses a lot of power??...you can't even fathom the amount of power a steel plant uses...it is astronomical...and when the price for said power is equally astronomical, it becomes unfeasible to operate, as we have been witnessing the last 5-10 years.

kind of funny how several steel mills have been built (the one in Calvert, AL cost almost $4 Billion to build) in the last few years, despite the ones up here closing...that should give you an idea as to the money involved.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

....The baby food that will be produced in Pittsburgh had been manufactured at a Heinz plant in Leamington, Ontario....

With friends like the US, who needs enemies?

Story is more complicated.

H.J. Heinz Co. is closing its plant in Leamington, Ont., a move that will cost 740 jobs and end more than a century of ketchup making in the Southern Ontario town.

The move is part of a major cost-cutting effort by Heinz’s new owners, Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. and Brazilian hedge fund 3G Capital, which bought the company in June for $28-billion (U.S.).

Heinz is also closing two other factories, in Florence, S.C., and Pocatello, Idaho, shedding a further 610 jobs as it moves production of ketchup and sauces to fewer plants....

Some other facilities will gain from the three closures. Heinz has three plants in Canada – the Leamington ketchup factory, a salad dressing plant in St. Marys, Ont., and a plant in Toronto. Mr. Mullen said production will shift to St. Marys and U.S plants, where a total of 470 jobs will be added.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 5442338/

The production coming to Pittsburgh had been handled at the Heinz plant in Leamington, Ontario.

Heinz sold that Leamington plant earlier this year to a Canadian co-packer that is expected to make some products for the Pittsburgh company.

Mr. Mullen said only jarred baby food products will be made (in Pittsburgh).

“Many Heinz baby food varieties will continue to be made in Canada, including fruit varieties sold in plastic tubs and pouches, Heinz Infant Cereals, and Heinz Little Kids snack items.”

»www.post-gazette.com/bus ··· 09160068

So the benefits AND the cuts, each involve both countries.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Leamington is not closing , Canada only allows ketchup to be made from whole tomatoes, the UD allows it to be made from paste.

I'm waiting for the NAFTA challenge.
elwoodblues

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0

The biggest problem at U.S. Steel is its management, said Charles Bradford, co-founder and principal at Metals Industries Advisory Group in New York.
"[U.S. Steel's] mismanagement in Canada wasted hundreds of millions of dollars."
And the multiple lockouts %u2014 for which the union is also partly responsible %u2014 have alienated customers, he said.

»www.financialpost.com/m/ ··· 14-09-18

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71 to sm5w2

to sm5w2
Didn't US Steel originally buy the Canadian Mills because they were the competition, and to basically shut them down? What happened to the old Dofasco mill? Are no steel Mills operating in Hamilton anymore?
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

The Microsoft/Google school of business management: if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to kingb71

Premium Member

to kingb71
said by kingb71:

Didn't US Steel originally buy the Canadian Mills because they were the competition, and to basically shut them down? What happened to the old Dofasco mill? Are no steel Mills operating in Hamilton anymore?

Dofasco is still operating in Hamilton . It is a subsidiary of Arcelor Mittal. Parts of Stelco operate in Hamilton and Nanticoke under US Steel but the main steel production plant furnaces is not.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

US Steel has only been making coke(sp?) here in Hamilton for some time now.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to kingb71

Premium Member

to kingb71
said by kingb71:

Stelco and Dofasco are owned by two completely different companies. Dofasco is doing fine and is very profitable. Stelco obviously is not.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

What irks me, is the Feds let them take over based on certain promises for output and employment. They didn't meet those obligations, and then when they promised to spend another $x the feds dropped the court case.

Now that they've applied for bankruptcy protection, I wonder what the next move will be?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Now that they've applied for bankruptcy protection, I wonder what the next move will be?

Political campaign contributions.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Leamington is not closing

But it did close. Part of the factor was reopened with a fraction of the staff (at a fraction of their old wages) now run by different company. Smaller cheaper and bound to fail if that requirement is dropped (and you are right, I imagine it will be if this new company starts taking market share away from the dominate US manufactures).

I am happy its now Canadian, and hope they can expand into canning other fruits such as peaches because the only stuff for sale on the grocery stores shelves these days is from China (YUK wood texture, no flavour) Greece (looks good but has no taste) or the US (or parts unknown). I would like to see some of the Niagara fruit orchards stay operational, they have enough bloody winery start-ups and don't need more. I would tolerate a place that makes Perry but even that still takes land away from the fruit producers (the pears uses in perry are not the sort you would want to eat raw).
said by kingb71:

Didn't US Steel originally buy the Canadian Mills because they were the competition, and to basically shut them down?

Acquire and KILL!, Kraft did the same thing with many of Ontario's smaller dairies and creameries.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

The biggest problem at U.S. Steel is its management, said Charles Bradford, co-founder and principal at Metals Industries Advisory Group in New York.
"[U.S. Steel's] mismanagement in Canada wasted hundreds of millions of dollars."
And the multiple lockouts %u2014 for which the union is also partly responsible %u2014 have alienated customers, he said.

»www.financialpost.com/m/ ··· 14-09-18

think long and hard why US Steel isn't here...the answers are obvious.
dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

What irks me, is the Feds let them take over based on certain promises for output and employment. They didn't meet those obligations, and then when they promised to spend another $x the feds dropped the court case.

broken promises do suck...however, i'm surprised (not really) that you made no mention of the $150 Million loan the Provincial Government (Liberals) gave them that we can basically kiss goodbye.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Not to mention the amount we taxpayers will be on the hook for the pension liability.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by mr weather:

Not to mention the amount we taxpayers will be on the hook for the pension liability.

we won't be on the hook for the pension liability...if there is one, the workers are the ones who will lose out on it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
Didn't know about the loan,but its another reason I hate corporate welfare

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Didn't know about the loan,but its another reason I hate corporate welfare

that was the nice thing about Hudak's platform in the last election...create a better business environment for all businesses, so there would be no need for "corporate welfare".

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member

koira to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by mr weather:

we won't be on the hook for the pension liability...if there is one, the workers are the ones who will lose out on it.

potential taxpayer bailout is $400 million
»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 0649825/
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj

How could we have let this purchase be made under an umbrella corporation, that can file for bankruptcy, and not the parent US Steel?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
The problem is was the though cutting taxes was going to fix the problem, but all it does is enrich the coprorations, as we've seen from the federal side of things.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to booj

Premium Member

to booj
said by booj:

How could we have let this purchase be made under an umbrella corporation, that can file for bankruptcy, and not the parent US Steel?

because as i've stated before, you need to have a Canadian "corporate office"...so, in this case, US Steel Canada...it is duplicity (adds to cost), and in this case, allows this type of thing to happen.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to koira

Premium Member

to koira
said by koira:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by mr weather:

potential taxpayer bailout is $400 million
»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 0649825/

taxpayer bailout should be zero.

the union should bail them out, since it was part of their bargaining process over the years...seize the company assets and sell them off with the proceeds going to the pension.

i shouldn't have to pay for their pension...that deal is between the company, the union and the employees...they should have to figure it out themselves.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member

koira

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

taxpayer bailout should be zero.

the union should bail them out, since it was part of their bargaining process over the years...seize the company assets and sell them off with the proceeds going to the pension.

i shouldn't have to pay for their pension...that deal is between the company, the union and the employees...they should have to figure it out themselves.

sorry thats reality Sherlock