Search similar:

uniqs

bryank
join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

1 edit

bryank

Build Me a Computer for $350-$400

Ok, so I am not up on the latest and greatest hardware, so I need some help in picking the right parts (I still know how to build them Here is some information that may help:

- Buying everything from Newegg.com
- Price range is $350 - $400 shipped
- Need motherboard, processor, cpu fan, memory, video card
- Video card needs to support dual DVI monitors
- Current case size is ATX
- Plays World of Warcraft, work from home using terminal server & RDP
- Intel & ATI preference
- Cant remember power supply wattage
- Fastest & Best within budget

OK GO!
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

I'll put this out as an initial idea, subject to change with more information.

Intel pentium dual 3258:
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 19117374

asrock H97 motherboard:
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 13157564

ram will choose if build moves forward 4GB

graphics 265 radeon:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14150719

We really need more information about the brand/model of your power supply so we know whether that is an issue.

Also what cpu and graphics do you presently have? It would be good if we have an idea of where you are now.

Mentat
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Houston, TX

Mentat to bryank

Premium Member

to bryank
I'm assuming that you meant a CPU cooler when you said fan; if not, subtract $30 and use the stock cooler.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $403.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 09:57 EDT-0400

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to asdfdfdfdfdf

to asdfdfdfdfdf
said by asdfdfdfdfdf:

Also what cpu and graphics do you presently have? It would be good if we have an idea of where you are now.

I realize this is boilerplate for you, but how does that matter here? He never said he was upgrading or that he was unhappy with what he has now. He may be building for a friend with these requirements who's never even gamed before.

Also, with this tight of a budget and the request being "fastest & best" in budget, I again fail to see why we need this.

+1 to Mentat's build. A solid build right at budget. When your aftermarket cooler is 10% of your budget build, I sometimes question it because it's something you get free with your CPU, but it's not like it isn't nice to have if that's where you want to spend your money.

bryank
Plainfield, IL

bryank

This build is for my wife, who says her computer is getting slow, which I built maybe 5 years ago. The power supply I can upgrade if need be; so dont let that factor in too much. I failed to remember that the video card I think is still good and can may be salvaged? Should I go with a SSD?

Here are her current specs on the machine:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale Dual-Core 3.0GHz LGA 775
ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
4 gigs of ram
AMD Radeon HD 5670
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

2 recommendations

asdfdfdfdfdf to Raible

Premium Member

to Raible
"how does that matter here?"

It always matters because I have seen situations where what we can offer isn't much of an advance over what the person has. I don't want to see anyone spend money doing something pointless. That is why I always ask.
asdfdfdfdfdf

asdfdfdfdfdf to bryank

Premium Member

to bryank
With your budget I wouldn't look for an ssd.

If you are wanting to overclock then the z87 mentat chose and the 3rd party cooler would be better than what I chose. If you aren't going to overclock then either approach should be fine.

You'll need to replace the 5670 card. If world of warcraft frame rates are the primary problem (and not something specific like raiding) then you might just try upgrading the graphics and seeing if it solves the problem. If it doesn't then you can upgrade the rest and you haven't lost anything. World of warcraft wants cpu but, with an old 5670, the graphics card may still be the biggest thing holding it back.

If you decide to replace the 8400 and are interested in overclocking you might try overclocking your present cpu a bit. Although the haswell based pentium is certainly significantly better than a wolfdale I'm not exactly thrillled about recommending a dual core pentium to replace a core 2 dual core setup but a quad can't be squeezed in.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

4 edits

norwegian to bryank

Premium Member

to bryank
What about something like this kit and throw a video card in it?

»www.newegg.com/Product/C ··· .1665024
quote:
1x GIGABYTE G1.Sniper B5 LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (Model:G1.Sniper B5)
$99.79
1x Intel Core i3-4130 Haswell Dual-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400 BX80646I34130 (Model:BX80646I34130)
$119.99
1x CORSAIR XMS 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M1A1600C11 (Model:CMX8GX3M1A1600C11)
$94.99
Video:
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· orebbr=1
ASUS R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon R7 260X 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready
$104.99, after $20 rebate.

Total:
$384.98

Mind you stepping up to the 270 for the gpu would be better.
So you could say this setup not quite where Mentat sits, that has better graphics at the slight cost in processor, but also a newer motherboard and using the latest technology, where as the selection I have is last gen and will still do fine for your needs.
You can always look at a second stick of 8gb ram and an SSD later.

More games specific and later technology versus mutli-task rig, last gen is how I'd look at Mentat's versus mine if that helps?
However Mnr and asdfdfdfdfdf have very valid comments.
Discussion on a later GPU, SSD, more memory might help get the extra juice at a lower cost or the same funds and look for the right specials and get as much power/features per dollar you can get for the older rig.

bryank
Plainfield, IL

bryank to asdfdfdfdfdf

to asdfdfdfdfdf
said by asdfdfdfdfdf:

world of warcraft frame rates are the primary problem (and not something specific like raiding) then you might just try upgrading the graphics and seeing if it solves the problem. If it doesn't then you can upgrade the rest and you haven't lost anything. World of warcraft wants cpu but, with an old 5670, the graphics card may still be the biggest thing holding it back.

She complains that even when working she is having longer processing times between apps. However, she runs just about everything at once, even WoW while working. So I know for a fact more memory than the current 4gb is needed. I figured having more processing power couldn't hurt either, but if you think the graphics card is somewhat of a bottle neck as well, then it might need to be changed. Another question to ponder (if even possible) can this motherboard be reused with a new CPU and gain a little more horsepower that way?
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

If she isn't complaining about world of warcraft performance then the graphics card isn't likely a fruitful place to focus.

If the system has become slower I would first do a thorough malware check or maybe reinstall the OS. Also check to see if the cpu heat sink and case is stuffed up with dust.

If she is running everything at once then more ram should help. Your saying that makes me more hesitant to recommend a dual core cpu.

As far as the possibility of upgrading what you have, you may be able to move to a quad core core2 chip but per core performance is still going to be quite far behind a recent chip. This could help if the primary complaint is wanting to run more apps at once.

Could you have her sit down and make a careful specific list of what her performance complaints are and rank them in order of importance? The budget is pretty tight and I'm not sure how much weight to give to cpu vs graphics.

MnR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-27
Iron Mountain, MI

1 edit

MnR to bryank

Premium Member

to bryank
Hi,

Sure you can upgrade it. You can use a core2 quad 9650 or like mine quad 8200 same socket. Up the ram to 8gb(4x2gb sticks) and a SSD (crucial mx100 512gb or a Mushkin 480gb). either SSD runs great. Just remember DO NOT DEFRAG a SSD.

Good luck with whatever way you go...:)
MnR
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

asdfdfdfdfdf to bryank

Premium Member

to bryank
Warlords of Draenor requirements have recently been released and the company is apparently recommending a quad core cpu, though a dual remains on the minimum list.

bryank
Plainfield, IL

bryank

So here is where I am starting at for now...you guys have helped point me in the right direction. The video card I am going to reuse and see how it goes. She doesn't complain about FPS only that it's older than whats currently out. WTF.. With these items, it puts me right at $350 before shipping. If you think a different cpu or motherboard would be better around the same price, let me know. Thanks again.

Intel Core i5-3330 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53330

GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2PV(R2.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR XMS 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M1A1600C11

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Ivy Bridge is the generation before my selection.
Grab Haswell as a minimum.
That selection of mine via newegg took ages to match your price.

PC-Partpickers only down fall is it will not provide the correct pricing due to being outdated price info.
Great tool for choosing builds, not so great on live links to real pricing.

bryank
Plainfield, IL

bryank

I was looking to go quad core...you linked dual core. Big difference?
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

asdfdfdfdfdf to bryank

Premium Member

to bryank
I would feel more comfortable with the quad core build that you listed.

This haswell build is newer and has a bit better performance but your build is fine also:
4460:
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 19117302

GA-H81M-HD2:
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 13128687

If you need pci slots for some reason there is also the h81-d3 which is only slightly more expensive.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to bryank

Premium Member

to bryank
Yes, if asdfdfdfdfdf says your pick is fine, then it will be fine.
His knowledge over the time I've been here has been top notch.

bryank
Plainfield, IL

1 edit

bryank

I may just get that haswell quad core...have to wait and see.
bryank

1 recommendation

bryank

So I went with the Haswell i5, 8gigs of memory, Gigabyte Motherboard, then bought a new Western Digital 6gbs SATA harddrive, put it together running Windows 8.1 (free upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out! ), and the wife loves it! She says playing Warcraft is so much more responsive and no lag. Computer boots in about 10-15 seconds. We'll see how it is when she starts working from home with it tomorrow. Thanks again for all the advice!
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

asdfdfdfdfdf to bryank

Premium Member

to bryank
Thank you for the update on results.