Milkster
Whitby, Ontario
join:2003-02-12
Whitby, ON
Linksys WRT54GL

Milkster

[DSL] Help troubleshoot Netflix

Click for full size

I'm trying to figure out why I can't stream anything on Netflix that is better than 480p.

Here is my setup:
DSL 15/1 plan
Speedtouch 516 modem with a Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT
Trying to watch Netflix on PS3 which is hooked up by ethernet cable directly to the router

My DSL stats and speedtest are attached....

What should I check next?
How do I know what video quality i'm being shown on Netflix? On the PS3 controller I press the select button, is this the correct way to check?
Is the PS3 capable of playing 1080p Netflix movies?

Any help is appreciated.

KPaul
join:2007-02-08

KPaul

tried checking on your netflix account on your pc and setting it higher?

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to Milkster

to Milkster
Yes I agree I would be looking at the netflix settings under your account netflix.com

I know the ps3 can stream in HD I have done it before with your same setup. Can you stream a HD video from your PC to the ps3? Does that run smooth?

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to Milkster

to Milkster
Run the netflix test video which should display the bitrate as it plays. It's called Example Short 23.976

hw
@205.150.9.x

hw to Milkster

Anon

to Milkster
Netflix has an SD-only plan and an HD plan. The SD-only plan maxes out as 480p. Maybe the OP is on the SD-only plan and doesn't realize it.
Milkster
Whitby, Ontario
Whitby, ON
Linksys WRT54GL

Milkster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I have checked the plan and i'm on the 8.99 plan which is for 2 devices + HD video.
The playback settings were set to Auto, I've changed it to HIGH

When playing the Example Short movie on my PC using the latest version of Chrome and Firefox I get:
Bitrate: 1050 kbps
Res: 640x480
Par: 4:3

Playing the Example movie on the PS3 gives me the same results as above.

So what gives?
Gab
Premium Member
join:2012-03-23
Quebec, QC

Gab

Premium Member

Hi,

on Netflix on PC, you could also use the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+D menu where it shows what is the "Last Bandwith Measurement". Normally, on 15/1 with Teksavvy, it should be quite high (usually over 8000+). It is in kbps too. Also, the shortcut doesn't work in fullscreen.
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to Milkster

to Milkster
said by Milkster:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I have checked the plan and i'm on the 8.99 plan which is for 2 devices + HD video.
The playback settings were set to Auto, I've changed it to HIGH

When playing the Example Short movie on my PC using the latest version of Chrome and Firefox I get:
Bitrate: 1050 kbps
Res: 640x480
Par: 4:3

Playing the Example movie on the PS3 gives me the same results as above.

So what gives?

There's also a SD plan at the same price.

Also, you're sure nobody else is already streaming somewhere in HD ?

And is everything on Netflix HD ?
Milkster
Whitby, Ontario
Whitby, ON
Linksys WRT54GL

Milkster

playback stats
Click for full size
Plan i'm on

Playback settings
I took some screen captures of what I see.
lowping

lowping

And what's your TV or monitor ?
Milkster
Whitby, Ontario
Whitby, ON

Milkster

All capable of 1080p video.
lowping

lowping

said by Milkster:

All capable of 1080p video.

To me it seems like it depends what movie. And also weird thing, Chrome doesn't show you the HD logo at the bottom.

Movie - The wanted seems to be working HD for me.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to Milkster

Premium Member

to Milkster
My wife has called Netflix in the past about show episode order and subtitle issues. She felt they were pretty helpful. Get the number here: »help.netflix.com/help . If you click "call us" it gives you a reference code which apparently gets you faster service. The website says call wait time is less than one minute. Hopefully they will be helpful to you too.

Gandalfgray
@142.21.253.x

Gandalfgray

Anon

Hi,

did you try de-activate all your devices in Netflix account screen and reactivate your PS3?
redeye95
join:2014-01-22
Mississauga, ON

redeye95 to Milkster

to Milkster
Are you on wireless?... It does make a difference compared to a wired connection.
Also on a PlayStation 3, pressing the display button on the remote displays the resolution bitrate etc. I think it is also the options button on the controller...

Wow, I am on the 11.99 plan, because I also use unblock-us, and profiles on Netflix and I didn't want the Canadian profile (meaning watch preferences) on disappear when I watch the US Netflix content (i am probably wrong...) But in any cause I just noticed that you need the 11.99 plan for the ultra HD or 4K video. Extra bonus!... Still need the 4K T.V. Though.
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

2 edits

BrianON to Milkster

to Milkster
CTRL-ALT-LEFTSHIFT brings up a menu as well. Select stream manager and see what it is streaming at and what the max is. It can take a while to change what it is playing at if much has been buffered at a different streaming rate.