spc
Search similar:

uniqs
iil888
join:2014-09-17
Spain

iil888

Big laptop recommendation

I need to change my old laptop an I an thinking on a big tablet or a big screen laptop.

In relation to the laptop I need it mainly to use at home.

But I would like the biggest screen possible.

I do not mind the time of use of battery, because I will use it mostly at home.

The weight or size are not a problem because it is going to stay at home, and only travel on vacation couple of times a year.

What would be a smart purchase?

Thanks a lot!!
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

A laptop and a separate monitor.
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith to iil888

Premium Member

to iil888
I'd get a decent home system, that may not be a laptop, and a cheap tablet. Are you *really* planning on using your PC while on vacation for much more than surfing or e-mail? Are you sure you want to be carrying your entire repository of documents, pictures, etc around with you?

Set up a decent home system, learn how to use "the cloud" to your advantage, then how to use the tablet (or a small notebook if you prefer) to access the stuff you *really* need from the cloud remotely.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but that's what I tell the various "old timers" I deal with; who are most likely to resist this sort of paradigm change; and they *always* come to appreciate the simplicity & security.
iil888
Spain

iil888

b_p_smith,

Thanks,
I agree with your comments.
I use the cloud for my documents. I did not explained myself. For me, on vacation is to go for a couple of weeks to the beach with my family, and keep on working. And as I am old enough, working with a little screen laptop is a sin. That is the reason why I was looking for a "big screen" laptop.

Thanks
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

1 recommendation

b_p_smith to iil888

Premium Member

to iil888
If you own the vacation destination (ie. your own beach house), then I'd get a decent "normal" notebook and catch a sale to get two big-ass monitors. Leave one at home, and one at the beach house. That's what my Dad does.
If that's not an option, then the second monitor may not be the best approach because packing both a monitor *and* notebook into the car for the voyage will be problematic.
Unfortunately, the trend is towards smaller notebooks, because most people care about weight & battery life & whatnot.
iil888
Spain

iil888

b_p_smith,

That is a very good idea I had not thought.

Thanks a lot!!

liht
Acryllicht
join:2000-07-11
Tucson, AZ
Asus RT-AC68
ARRIS CM8200

liht to iil888

to iil888
I had a similar situation.

I ended up getting a Malibal laptop, which is a Clevo P150EM. 15 inches of 1080 goodness, and then hooked it up to two 23 inch monitors.

For travel, I ended up using my previous laptop which is a 14 inch asus. Works great.

But at least I have an option of taking my work laptop with me if I have to.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp to iil888

to iil888
Check out the Lenovo laptops. Best keyboard I've used. They have very large laptops too. or use an external monitor.

And leave the laptop at home while on vacation! Working while on vacation is an oxymoron!
benthomas
join:2015-02-02

benthomas

I recommend HP pavilion DV7, 17.3"
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to iil888

Premium Member

to iil888
an avenue to research is gaming laptops too. Even if not a gamer they will be where you tend to find the big screens and big processing power. If you do go the gaming laptop route do your research so you do not fall into shady brands. the Asus laptops get good reviews.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to iil888

Premium Member

to iil888
So what did you end up doing?

Bizrusonline
join:2015-09-13

Bizrusonline to iil888

to iil888
You may go for Panasonic toughpad 4k tablet.
kamienZen
join:2015-12-01
poland

kamienZen to iil888

to iil888
Can I ask you about your choice?

hsingiboxer
join:2016-01-02
USA

hsingiboxer to iil888

to iil888
Well, I actually owned a few Alienware laptops. They're really big and I used them for gaming. I'd look into those if you want a powerful laptop with a big screen.