ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

[Carpentry] Cutting logs level.....

So this is not exactly home improvement but though you all could help me out. My wife has me making some birch tree candle holders, basically cutting the birch logs to different lengths and drilling holes in the top for the candles. My question is that I find it tough to get a level cut using my compound miter saw. Even though I make a line with a level and the saw has a laser I find it difficult to make even cuts on both ends so the finished product is flat. Any suggestions?
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

[Carpentry] Re: Cutting logs level.....

get close and sand
eagleknight
join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH

1 recommendation

eagleknight to ptrowski

to ptrowski
Miter saw is the easiest thing to use for the cut. Other options is use a band saw or do it by hand. Logs aren't perfectly round to start with so you aren't going to get a 90 degree cut exactly without milling the wood and at that point it won't look like a branch or log. I think that is what you are going for.
psiu
join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

psiu to ptrowski

to ptrowski
Or make the tops *distinctly* not level...

Or uneven, to enhance showing the bark off...

Cut one side (bottom) to flat, then base the top off that?

Good luck, and show some pictures.

Do you get a cut when she sells them on Etsy? :P

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

stevek1949 to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Make a close cut, then use a power plane to plane them to make them smooth. Since a log is not even on any side, using a band saw to cut them in half will not get you a smooth surface, even using a guide fence. The band saw will get you close, though. Still a little bit of work to do, though.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to psiu

Premium Member

to psiu
Ha! She actually does have an Etsy shop. Buy stuff!
ptrowski

4 recommendations

ptrowski to stevek1949

Premium Member

to stevek1949
Click for full size
Here is the first set I made.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin to ptrowski

Mod

to ptrowski
If the birch tapers you will need to shim it so the center line is level and square to the saw blade. Make one cut. Then turn it over or move it and set for approximate length. Now I would use something solid (like a solid piece of 4x4) cut square and place it next to the cut end. You will want to make sure the cut is in solid contact with the 4x4 by shimming, etc. Now make the second cut. It should be parallel with the first

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
I thought you were making horizontal candle holders, a la Christmas candle holders.! Sorry if I was mistaken. Good luck with them.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

No worries! I know the ones you mean, I should have been more descriptive.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

dandelion to ptrowski

MVM

to ptrowski
Very nice.. Amazon has those birch tea candle logs for about $36 for the set of 3 FYI

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski

Premium Member

$20 here. We get the wood donated from my brother in law, the trees fall on his property so we are not cutting them down.
eakes
join:2000-10-20
Richardson, TX

3 recommendations

eakes to ptrowski

to ptrowski
Use a jig such as a hand mitre box to clamp the log in place (shim as necessary). Place the box against the fence and make a cut, slide the box to the other side of the blade and cut to desire length. The two cuts may not be exactly true to the axis of the log but will be true to each other.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
I would take 2 boards, shorter than the logs will be after cutting.

Nail the edges together to make a 90.

Set the log in the 'cradle' and put one side of the cradle side next to saw backstop with log wedged into cradle -
cut one end then slide the whole shebang without moving log in cradle over to cut other end.
maybe wrap it with packing tape if afraid it will move during cutting/moving.

Ends ought to be parallel that way.

burnt
@50.138.50.x

burnt to ptrowski

Anon

to ptrowski
if you can put the logs into a lathe, with any kind of centering on either end, both ends supported, you can use a thin chisel tool or a thin blade tool to cut both endings. guaranteed parallel. but you will need to do some fussing about centering.

not mentioned yet, I can imagine all sorts of fires and burnt houses, and giant liability for you, if the candle burns down and the wick is still lit, and the birch catches fire too. so perhaps insist on the inclusion of some thick glued metal insert cup to prevent the wick fire from getting to the birch wood.

and like they say, don't ask me how I know, the hard way, 3 times, about possible burnt houses from candles....

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

They only fit tea light candles, not regular candles.
walta
join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO

walta to ptrowski

to ptrowski
I like your idea.
Did you try putting the round in a V block to make the cut?

You do understand this wood is green and full of water at this point in time. Over the next 4 years it will dry and equalize with its new surroundings. The outer ring of the wood will shrink 7-15% since the wood in the center shrinks less and gets in the way of the outer ring. That means the outer ring will crack and split.

It is likely this is branch wood and under internal stress and will likely change shape as it dries and take a lean in some direction.

If you are making them to sell you should get business insurance. If not and some idiot finds a way burn down his house you may get to buy him a new one.
This candle will fit the hole in your stand and may set it on fire.

»www.generalwax.com/beesw ··· 5PW.html
»www.potterybarn.com/prod ··· 919736-2

Walta

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

There is no cure for stupid sometimes. We sell them through the local farmers market, my wife does have a corporation. When they are on display and sold they have the tea light candles in them, we contemplated buying some cheap LED candles for them. If someone wants to use them outside their intended use then they can do so at their own risk.