spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pshifrin
join:2000-08-11
White Plains, NY

pshifrin

FIOS horrible Apple download speeds.

In Westchester County NY FIOS is having absolutely horrible download speeds downloading iOS 8 and other Apple software updates. We have 2 offices and multiple employees all reporting the same thing from their home connections, I'm talking dial-up speeds.

Our one office with Optimum online is seeing super fast downloads from Apple. I know it's a busy time on Apple's end but the FIOS speeds are ludicrously slow. This is in different towns too.

rollinraver
join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

rollinraver

Experiencing the same thing here. My iPad keeps going from 6 hours remaining to 8 hours remaining... My iphone, connected via iTunes, actually TIMED OUT Saying 320 hours remaining. UGH!!!
gorony
join:2014-08-11
USA

gorony

I don't think it's just FIOS. Everyone's having speed issues downloading IOS8 according to the news this morning.

rollinraver
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

rollinraver to pshifrin

to pshifrin
and of course TS just told me they can trouble shoot the network from my house, but the issue is ONLY with getting the update from Apple. I attribute this more to a "Netflix-like" scenario with peering more than anything else. Tier 1 just isn't trained for it, and frankly I didn't want to argue to get to tier 2.
pshifrin
White Plains, NY

1 recommendation

pshifrin

You are absolutely correct, it's peering. I connected to a VPN i occasionally use to watch BBC iPlayer and the speed increased significantly.
nickfie
join:1999-11-23
Wynnewood, PA

nickfie to pshifrin

to pshifrin
I agree on the frustration. 75 Mbps bandwidth, nearly all downloads come screaming down. Except when it's for an iDevice I use all the time. Then I have to leave it alone for 8 - 11 hours.

Note to FiOS marketing - standing between a customer and the technology they need earns a lot of customer hate not love.

Unless this is different than earlier iOS updates, FiOS doesn't need to throttle the download to preserve Internet peering bandwidth. On the first download from Apple they could cache the update file on the appropriate number of proxy web cache servers on their network.

iOS updates usually come in a finite number of versions:
- a version for each mobile carrier, plus wi-fi only
- a type for each iOS device type - iPod, iPhone, iPad
- a generation for each eligible hardware generation

Multiplying the dimensions, it's several dozen files, each downloaded once from Apple. Then carried on Verizon's ample internal bandwidth.

My employer has a robust set of web proxy servers, with caching. We were worried the first time Apple had an iOS update after we had gone big with iDevices, then realized the web cache servers reduced our network stress.

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

norm

said by nickfie:

Unless this is different than earlier iOS updates, FiOS doesn't need to throttle the download to preserve Internet peering bandwidth. On the first download from Apple they could cache the update file on the appropriate number of proxy web cache servers on their network.

I am seeing a lot of reports that unlike iOS7, iOS8 cannot be cached. Either way, it's not like the announcement of iOS8 was unexpected. Verizon delivers yet again in the world of crap peering.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

In regards to iOS8 download, the slowness are the results of overwhelmed apple servers. These are to be expected in the first hours, days of the iOS release since everyone globally wants it. I've anticipated the release time correctly this time when I checked it 10 minutes before 1pm eastern time yesterday. My OTA download took only 8 minutes through FIOS.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

2 recommendations

Thinkdiff

MVM,

It's not solely Apple's servers. There were multiple people on FiOS reporting exorbitant download times, but had no issues when connected via a US-based VPN or other local ISP.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

This is true for other ISP's also, it's not FIOS sole experience. What's common is the time it happens.

gerard143
@198.228.200.x

1 recommendation

gerard143 to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff
Syracuse ny

Worse then 2400 baud modem for ios8 update. At first thought it was apple. Then I asked around and everyone updated fine. Then I put two and two together and realized it was Verizon's end

What a bunch of bs. Saying peace to verizon over this
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to pshifrin

to pshifrin
I know it doesn't make sense but I switched my DNS servers to Google's DNS and downloads from Apple instantly went back to what they should be.
jankm
join:2005-08-16
Lansdale, PA

jankm

said by kes601:

I know it doesn't make sense but I switched my DNS servers to Google's DNS and downloads from Apple instantly went back to what they should be.

Thanks for this! I was stuck at 30 hour downloads the past 2 days. I changed to the Google DNS, rebooted, and the download took about 7 minutes.

rollinraver
Buffalo, NY

rollinraver

Ditto!!! Just changed off of vz's default dns to google and BAM! 7 mins remaining instead of 100 HOURS!!!

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to jankm

MVM

to jankm
Yes, this makes no sense - but I tried Google's DNS without rebooting and I'm also downloading in less than 5 minutes....
andyboy
join:2011-11-28
New Rochelle, NY

andyboy to pshifrin

to pshifrin
WOW. I have 75/75 in VHO 5 and I went from 21 hours download time for iOS 8 on my iPad Air to 8 minutes when I switched from FiOS to my VZW jetpack 4G. I had been at 18-21 hours on FiOS download time for 2 and 1/2 hours. Crazy.
rextilleon
join:2003-12-28
Pleasantville, NY

1 recommendation

rextilleon

The iOS problems aside, Westchesters download rates from 7-11 at night are halved or less. Very disappointing and Verizon seems to have no answers.

pderosa
join:2000-08-29
Kearny, NJ

pderosa to kes601

to kes601
Changing the DNS worked like a charm. Thanks for the info.
nickfie
join:1999-11-23
Wynnewood, PA

nickfie to kes601

to kes601
Thank you, worked for me too. Frustration is that while I configured my Actiontec "Home/Office" network with Google DNS, it doesn't distribute those DNS IPs via DHCP.

phillyPA
@108.16.62.x

phillyPA

Anon

Help! Maybe I am missing something. I am stuck at 18kb (yes, freaking 18kb on a supposed 35/35 mbs connection) but only for apple software updates, including ios8, 10.9.5, and beta 3 for 10.10. I changed the DNS in the router to goggle DNS, but either this isn't working, or I missed a setting or something.
I changed it in the network connection settings for both broadband connection (coax) and Network (home/office).

I'm using an airport base station in bridge mode which may be complicating things. Can anyone help direct me to the right places to make the change so they take affect (or that I can check that it worked and I'm still screwed?) Going on two days of the complete B.S.

What really gets me is the tech on the phone today was not only useless, but wouldn't acknowledge that they have an issue when I told him I can pull a signal from the xfinity wifi public access router in the area and get the updates at 1.2 mb/s. Blamed Apple. Wow.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Put the DNS server's IP directly into your settings on each device to make sure it's working.

On OS X: System Preferences > Network > Select Ethernet or WiFi > Press Advanced > Go to DNS and add the google DNS server there.

On iOS: Settings > WiFi > tap on the "i" icon next to your current network > Tap in the DNS box and change the address.

PhillyPA
@108.16.62.x

-1 recommendation

PhillyPA

Anon

Wow. Thanks for the fast reply Thinkdiff. Unfortunately this didn't work. Still stuck around 28-118 kb/s. Changed the settings everywhere I could find. Router, mac, airport base station, ethernet, wifi. Sigh.

Anyone know the best level/department to contact at apple so we can let them know about this? I swore I would never go back to the evil that is Comcast. But this is insane if I can't ever update software---and this isn't the first time this has happened.

At least with have the FCC on our ... oh, wait.
RJW1678
join:2003-01-15
Wilmington, DE

4 edits

RJW1678 to pshifrin

to pshifrin
I am having the same problem with the iOS 8 update to a Verizon 4G-LTE iPad 4th gen. I tried putting in the Google DNS Servers and the download speed did not improve. The download speeds are slightly better than dial-up. Then I tried using my iPad as a usb hot spot(with WiFi turned off and cellular turn on) and downloading the iOS 8 update to my MacBook iTunes and the download took less than 25 minutes. So the download thru FiOS was going to take 30+ hours and it only took less than 25 minutes thru Verizon 4G LTE. The download speed problems is not an Apple problem - it was a FiOS problem for me(the Apple updates were the only slow downloads - everything else was fast)! Since my Verizon 4G LTE is a metered plan with overages, there is no throttling.

Later
Bob W.
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to pshifrin

to pshifrin
It's not VZ, it's the big demand on the Apple servers. Downloaded my iPad this morning in less than 15 minutes at around 8am Central, whereas last night it projected 10 hours.

(Forgot to say I tethered via iTunes and FIOS, not the Cellular network)
pshifrin
White Plains, NY

1 recommendation

pshifrin

It absolutely IS Verizon and a peering issue. I have a 50mb Fios connection and was getting less than 1mb down. I turned on a VPN connection and was back up to 50mb down. Turned it off and back down to 1. Verified at home and at one of our offices with Fios.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to PhillyPA

to PhillyPA
said by PhillyPA :

At least with have the FCC on our ... oh, wait.

Meant to +1 you and mis-clicked.
said by pshifrin:

It absolutely IS Verizon and a peering issue. I have a 50mb Fios connection and was getting less than 1mb down. I turned on a VPN connection and was back up to 50mb down. Turned it off and back down to 1. Verified at home and at one of our offices with Fios.

If Apple had overloaded servers people across the board from multiple ISPs would suffer crap download speeds. Though this seems to be happening the most on Verizon. I wonder why that is?
RJW1678
join:2003-01-15
Wilmington, DE

RJW1678 to Springbok

to Springbok
Apple updates download fast thru Verizon Wireless and slow thru Verizon FiOS for me. So for me it is a Verizon FiOS issue and it is not a Verizon Wireless issue. Also thru Verizon FiOS the Apple updates were the only slow downloads.

Later
Bob
said by Springbok:

It's not VZ, it's the big demand on the Apple servers. Downloaded my iPad this morning in less than 15 minutes at around 8am Central, whereas last night it projected 10 hours.

(Forgot to say I tethered via iTunes and FIOS, not the Cellular network)

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I had this problem last night too. My daughter's iPhone said it had an update. It originally said it would take 3 hours. Two hours later, instead of saying there was one hour left, it said nine hours were left! Then about a half hour after that, it said an error had occured and the download was stopped. WTF?

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to pshifrin

to pshifrin
That does not mean it's peering because you're not making an Oranges to Oranges comparison. CDNs try and figure out where you are and direct you to the closet DC to deliver your content. If all of the FiOS users are hitting a site in New York that's saturated and your VPN directs you to one based in London that's not then you will get a faster download.

AlanPNJ
@98.109.222.x

AlanPNJ to kes601

Anon

to kes601
You are a freakin' genius! 36 hours to 4 minutes... using DNS 8.8.8.8. Verizon Tech Support were no help at all. Thanks!