spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

1 edit

bluepoint to pshifrin

to pshifrin

Re: FIOS horrible Apple download speeds.

The new iOS 8.0.2 took seconds.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to pshifrin

to pshifrin
I added the google DNS entries to the actiontec router. Re started any devices I had, and iOS updates now downloading like they should.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to Smith6612

MVM

to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

You're looking at a ton of variables here that can make or break the transfer rate. Routing, CDN selection and failover, software variables that can go on forever, peak vs non-peak traffic, on-network caching, and so on. Apple is using their own CDN along with Akamai and Limelight. There's only so much capacity to spread around both in terms of transit, and in terms of how much server capacity each CDN can spare while keeping the SLAs of their other customers in mind (many of these CDNs also deliver mission-critical video. If those streams stop, that's a revenue loss). The CDN providers all have their own proprietary means of shifting traffic across hosts real-time, but it can only do so good. When the CDN has to handle existing traffic on top of 2-3x the traffic coming at it, any algorithm is going to start breaking down by the limit of physical hardware. If Apple didn't pay the CDNs enough money (passive notification of "You're about to get crushed, bro") in advance on top of beefing up their own CDN infrastructure, then things are going to get crushed.

The sheer fact that I have seen troubles even at work, where Verizon has absolutely nothing to do with anything going on should be the proof to the pudding.

Thanks for posting this fact based summary of the exact issue at hand. I was trying to state something similar without sounding like I work for Verizon......:)

CeeZee
join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA

CeeZee to frankpf3

to frankpf3
said by frankpf3:

I added the google DNS entries to the actiontec router. Re started any devices I had, and iOS updates now downloading like they should.

I had to restart all my devices before they would download quickly.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs to jdmass

to jdmass
said by jdmass :

It is performing better here, too -- It looks like they fixed it by resolving to an akamai address (63.217.211.x) rather than the apple one (17.253.x.x).

They Flipped over to Akamai CDN's instead of their own, so no DNS changes should be necessary if that's the case. but if you're still slow on Akamai cdn, then you can try the alternate DNS's

Tinkster
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster to pshifrin

Premium Member

to pshifrin
I had the same issue from the beginning of the IOS8 updates. They did something since then I downloaded the 8.0.2 with out issue yesterday and even upgraded another phone to 8 from 7 without an issue.

I have yet to get my apple TV to update but haven't tried in a while testing it out tonight.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to nycdave

MVM

to nycdave
Click for full size
Welcome Here's a screenshot from this afternoon at work. Nice and fast. Whatever was changed, improved things overall.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Here is my predicament.

Currently via iTunes, it says that iOS 8.0 is available to download. I do not have enough space on my phone, but I do have enough space on my tablet to Download over the air.

However, on my iPad, it says 8.0.2 is ready to download.

My question is: since iTunes says 8.0 is available, and if I download it, will there be 8.0.2 available right after I download 8.0? LR will I be stuck at 8.0?

Thanks

I know it is a weird question, lol.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

It would be better to ask this in our ATA forum as it's not about Verizon:

»Apple
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09