uniqs

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to AlanPNJ

Premium Member

to AlanPNJ

Re: FIOS horrible Apple download speeds.

I had to cancel another download tonight. The iCloud had an update and got stuck after 30 minutes, so I stopped it. It normally takles less than 1 minute to update. This better get fixed soon.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

If all of the FiOS users are hitting a site in New York that's saturated and your VPN directs you to one based in London that's not then you will get a faster download.

Except other customers from other ISPs don't have this bad of a problem as everyone on FIOS. Massive coincidence I'm sure...

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by serge87:

Except other customers from other ISPs don't have this bad of a problem as everyone on FIOS. Massive coincidence I'm sure...

Everyone, one way or another suffer as bad as FIOS. Here are some.
»www.techvoid.com/2014/09 ··· install/

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to serge87

to serge87
Get over it. It's not some conspiracy to keep you from being the first one on the block to get IOS 8. It's like every video game release where everyone is whining that they had to wait on their update.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

1 recommendation

matcarl

Premium Member

Don't tell him to get over it. This never happened before, something is definitely wrong and this forum is to point out problems that we are experiencing.
serge87
New York

serge87 to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

Get over it. It's not some conspiracy to keep you from being the first one on the block to get IOS 8.

You don't have to apologize for Verizon's shit peering practices(unless you're paid to)...it's well known industry-wide.
But go ahead and stick your head back in the sand

jdmass
@108.7.196.x

jdmass

Anon

This is a truly infuriating problem! Like others, when I tried to download iOS 8 at home on my (supposedly) 75/75Mb FIOS network, I initially thought that the slowness was on Apple's end.

However after not seeing any complaints on the Mac forums, I decided to download using my phone's AT&T cellular data network (in tethered mode, as Apple requires the download over wi-fi) and was shocked to see it perform orders of magnitude better than FIOS (26 minutes via cellular vs. estimates of 1.2 DAYS on FIOS).

I discovered this thread and tried changing DNS address (as some recommended) with no improvement. I then decided to try downloading through my company's VPN and bingo! The speed to download iOS 8 to my computer was 7mb/sec via VPN on my home network versus 11-12 kb/sec(!) over non-VPN. Totally ridiculous!

Who can we complain to at Verizon? I really am reluctant to call their tech support and go thru their level 1 BS.

CeeZee
join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA

1 edit

CeeZee

Yesterday at home with fios I got the dreaded 29 hour download estimate. Checked download speeds via Speedtest and they were fine. Changed DNS first to Google's and then to Opendns with no help. Walked over to my neighbor who has Comcast, logged onto his network, and it immediately switched to 8 minutes, which was accurate.

This is truly a fios issue.

Edit: today I'm having the same problem trying to download a voice (Alex) for text to speech in Accessibility. Less than a gig and it's been over an hour so far. Like you I really don't want to deal with their tech support.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to pshifrin

Premium Member

to pshifrin
If this problem can truly be fixed by changing DNS servers then this does not sound like intentionally congested peering ports. Accidentally congested perhaps.

Sounds like a flaw in Apple's CDN which actually wouldn't be the least bit surprising. They are still fairly new to the CDN world.

Bill Alex
@108.15.126.x

Bill Alex to pshifrin

Anon

to pshifrin
Absolutely a FIOS issue for me. I live NE of DC in MD. Changed the DNS to 8.8.4.4 and speeds went from barely crawling, with a 20 hour estimate, to downloading the iOS 8 update in less than 5 minutes.

Drmac8
@24.199.120.x

Drmac8 to CeeZee

Anon

to CeeZee
FIOS is throttling iOS 8 downloads.

I've been trying to download iOS 8 for the last 5 hours. iTunes's estimate is that of 23 hours on my super fast Verizon FIOS connection 75MB. I disconnect from FIOS and connect to a neighboring restaurant's WIFI that uses TimeWarner (according to owner), and I'm suddenly looking at a 15 minute download.

What is going on here? Every other download works fine. Except for APPLE's.
serge87
New York

serge87

said by Drmac8 :

FIOS is throttling iOS 8 downloads.

I've been trying to download iOS 8 for the last 5 hours. iTunes's estimate is that of 23 hours on my super fast Verizon FIOS connection 75MB. I disconnect from FIOS and connect to a neighboring restaurant's WIFI that uses TimeWarner (according to owner), and I'm suddenly looking at a 15 minute download.

What is going on here? Every other download works fine. Except for APPLE's.

Are you saying your neighbor's Time Warner cable connection was perfectly fine downloading at full speed from Apple servers, BUT on your Verizon FIOS connection it is crawling slower than dirt? This is simply not possible, FIOS is a superior technology and Verizon has the best network in the whole wide world, donchaknow?? /s

If customers on other ISPs have little problem downloading from Apple, this should indicate it's a problem between Verizon and Apple, not Apple's supposed delivery problems.

First Netflix, now Apple...

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Motorola MB8611

1 recommendation

Chris123NT to pshifrin

to pshifrin
Saw the issue here last night as well. I guess Verizon is letting peering links go to crap across the board instead of just netflix. I am actually on a VPN now so I can download a game at decent speed from uplay. Without the VPN I was getting less than 300KB/s, with I am getting 9 MB/s.

battleop

battleop to serge87

to serge87
I'm sick and tired of arm chair admins diagnosing network issues between companies why they don't have a bit of proof to back up their claims. There is absolutely no way possible you have the acces to either network to say for sure who's at fault.

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Motorola MB8611

1 recommendation

Chris123NT

said by battleop:

I'm sick and tired of arm chair admins diagnosing network issues between companies why they don't have a bit of proof to back up their claims. There is absolutely no way possible you have the acces to either network to say for sure who's at fault.

No we don't, but simple logic states that when there are problems with MULTIPLE content providers and the only people having problems with speeds are the ones on FiOS, usually FiOS is where the problem lies.

battleop

battleop

All that we know is ther is a problem between Apple's CDN provider and Verizon.

TeenW0lf
@91.213.8.x

TeenW0lf

Anon

Definitely a problem with Apple's CDN. You should try the fix suggested on the NANOG list: »permalink.gmane.org/gman ··· g/124173

I did and it made my downloads about 1000x as fast, no joke
said by battleop:

All that we know is ther is a problem between Apple's CDN provider and Verizon.

serge87
New York

serge87 to Chris123NT

to Chris123NT
said by Chris123NT:

Saw the issue here last night as well. I guess Verizon is letting peering links go to crap across the board instead of just netflix.

Looks that way. Time for Apple to pay up!

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

birdfeedr

MVM

Pay up, or pay for akamai to deliver. Apple bit off more than they could chew trying to deliver ios8 themselves.

Idiotbee
@74.111.34.x

Idiotbee to gerard143

Anon

to gerard143
FIOS customer in Syracuse as well, going on four days since iOS 8 was released and I still cannot get it to download. Download begins and essentially stops after downloading a few mb. About a half hour later I get an error message. Switching to the google DNS servers did nothing at all. My iTunes update on my desktop also will not download. I had Time Warner for years before I switched to FIOS a month ago. Never had any problem updating anything Apple related in all those years. I'm beginning to regret my decision to switch.

Felo
@74.102.103.x

Felo

Anon

If the Google DNS servers are not working for you--they didn't for me either--try applying some of the following until your download time drops.

»pcsupport.about.com/od/t ··· vers.htm

I simply kept my download active and started alternating between the list, until the download ETA dropped from 30+ hours to 50 minutes. (Don't forget to apply the changes though. Simply typing it down won't do the trick.) It's still not the desired speed I pay for, but I got the download done nevertheless. If you have patience, maybe you can keep on trying different DNS servers until it drops to 15 mins or so as others' have.

Good luck!

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

1 recommendation

matcarl

Premium Member

The average person shouldn't have to go through all this trouble and wouldn't even know how to. The fact is we are paying Verizon to do this for us, and there is a major problem here.
fios joe
join:2007-10-14
Toms River, NJ

fios joe to pshifrin

to pshifrin
No issues here in VHO7. Downloaded iOS8 on 50/50 Fios connection for 2 iphone 5c's, 2 iPad2's,& iPad mini in 30 min.

My .02
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to matcarl

to matcarl
No, you're paying Apple to do it. Apple is fully in control of which server you're pointed to when downloading the update, and whoever is operating the CDN (whether Apple, Akamai, or someone else) is in control of what route it takes from there to your ISP. If Apple points you at an overloaded server there's nothing Verizon can do to fix that.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to fios joe

to fios joe
said by fios joe:

No issues here in VHO7. Downloaded iOS8 on 50/50 Fios connection for 2 iphone 5c's, 2 iPad2's,& iPad mini in 30 min.

My .02

fios joe,

How are the iPad 2's handling iOS 8? I hear that they become very slow and clumsy with it, compared to iOS7. According to some articles I read, they said stay away from it, basically. Plus people on the Apple Support Forums actually reverted back to 7.

Thanks
wprowe
join:2014-09-21

wprowe to pshifrin

to pshifrin
I changed the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 on an iPad mini that the was continually failing. It then downloaded and updated in less than 10 minutes. I did the same on an Apple TV and got the same response.
fios joe
join:2007-10-14
Toms River, NJ

fios joe to webcobbler

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

said by fios joe:

My .02

fios joe,

How are the iPad 2's handling iOS 8? I hear that they become very slow and clumsy with it, compared to iOS7. According to some articles I read, they said stay away from it, basically. Plus people on the Apple Support Forums actually reverted back to 7.

Thanks

I must agree the iPad 2 has become alittle slower
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

1 edit

hubrisnxs to pshifrin

to pshifrin
said by pshifrin:

It absolutely IS Verizon and a peering issue. I have a 50mb Fios connection and was getting less than 1mb down. I turned on a VPN connection and was back up to 50mb down. Turned it off and back down to 1. Verified at home and at one of our offices with Fios.

Here's a quote that is instructive.
"The only way you could draw that conclusion is if you guaranteed [traffic] came from the same path and server but that somehow the VPN made it look different," Bowman said. "If you could VPN to the same server you were getting the streaming from, using exactly the same path and then it behaves better, that would be pretty conclusive proof."

In your case, you have no idea which apple CDN you were getting to in either scenario.

It's not a FiOS issue, you're just hitting a CDN that doesn't have as much traffic.

Bowman goes on to give an example of why a VPN "may" perform better, that really should make sense.

"Imagine you're in the US and that you are on a carrier that existed in multiple states and time zones, you can VPN to the West Coast from the East Coast and end up getting the idle servers that are there, just sitting and waiting for people to get out of school and off work and so on," Bowman said.

Also remember, Verizon doesn't choose how apple sends YOU the IOS update.

That's apples choice.

He also notes "There's no guarantee that using a VPN will improve things—it could even make them worse. But if you're desperate, it may be worth a try."
RJW1678
join:2003-01-15
Wilmington, DE

1 edit

RJW1678

said by hubrisnxs:

said by pshifrin:

It absolutely IS Verizon and a peering issue. I have a 50mb Fios connection and was getting less than 1mb down. I turned on a VPN connection and was back up to 50mb down. Turned it off and back down to 1. Verified at home and at one of our offices with Fios.

Here's a quote that is instructive.
"The only way you could draw that conclusion is if you guaranteed [traffic] came from the same path and server but that somehow the VPN made it look different," Bowman said. "If you could VPN to the same server you were getting the streaming from, using exactly the same path and then it behaves better, that would be pretty conclusive proof."

In your case, you have no idea which apple CDN you were getting to in either scenario.

It's not a FiOS issue, you're just hitting a CDN that doesn't have as much traffic.

Bowman goes on to give an example of why a VPN "may" perform better, that really should make sense.

"Imagine you're in the US and that you are on a carrier that existed in multiple states and time zones, you can VPN to the West Coast from the East Coast and end up getting the idle servers that are there, just sitting and waiting for people to get out of school and off work and so on," Bowman said.

Also remember, Verizon doesn't choose how apple sends YOU the IOS update.

That's apples choice.

Since you are explaining about VPN's vs. not using a VPN, please explain to me why Verizon FiOS takes 30+ hours and Verizon Wireless takes less than 25 minutes - I tried this at my house. My problem was Verizon FiOS, not Verizon Wireless or Apple. I will never think that it is Apple's problem!

Later
Bob
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to fios joe

to fios joe
Would you say that upgrading the iPad2's are still worth it?