North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to pshifrin

MVM

to pshifrin

Re: FIOS horrible Apple download speeds.

Click for full size
I don't believe this is a Verizon issue at all. The attached screenshot is from work, on a 1Gbps connection to the Internet (datacenter) and with no dependence on Verizon. The download didn't stall, but was trickling in steadily at a few bytes a second. I had to restart this download a few times for the user to get acceptable speeds.

I'm quite certain this lays with Apple's new CDN. Some people have been complaining about poor performance from the App Store on many providers, which utilizes the same CDN setup

freshmanjs
@157.191.2.x

freshmanjs

Anon

ok...but it's hard to understand, then, why i can connect to vpn at home and download it very fast. disconnect from VPN and it is 30+ hours and stalls out. i can reproduce this repeatedly (both the fast download over VPN and the slow download without VPN). all of this is on the same wifi router via the same FIOS pipe to my house.

Chuck_D
@95.130.15.x

Chuck_D to BillT

Anon

to BillT
said by BillT :

Hi,
I tried changing DNS to level3, google, and others...none work. Very frustrating! Even the updates via the app store are slow now.

When you change DNS, you're just redirected to another alpha quality Apple CDN node, also broken. That is why the null routing idea makes sense, it will cause you to fail back to Akamai, an industry leading CDN who has experience delivering big software updates at blazing speeds.

You can do this on most home routers also by placing a static route (in Advanced Settings) to 17.253.0.0/16, with a next-hop of 127.0.0.1.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to ptb42

Premium Member

to ptb42
said by ptb42:

You can us this webpage whether Apple will still sign a previous version:

»api.ineal.me/tss/status

Thanks for this! Would've helped me tons in the past, bookmarked.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to pshifrin

Mod

to pshifrin
Apple's CDN was running at 3tb/s.

»www.macrumors.com/2014/0 ··· n-ios-8/
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

I am not even going to try to get iOS updates yet.

However, is this still why I can not receive Apple TV update to 7.0?

It keeps saying : The download can not be installed at this time.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

1 recommendation

tito79 to pshifrin

to pshifrin
Something is wrong between fios and apple severs i have used cablevision at my friends house via wifi 2 mins my ios 8 update was downloaded.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Mike

Mod

maybe apple should pay verizon access to the pipes like they hit up netflix
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

said by Mike:

maybe apple should pay verizon access to the pipes like they hit up netflix

I've seen the trace routes. From what I've seen they are direct peering in a lot of locales
Cee Bee
join:2014-09-23

Cee Bee to pshifrin

to pshifrin
This is my first post on DSLReports, but I wanted to add my story about the Apple/FIOS problems. I couldn't download IOS 8 either. I tried through iTunes, then the direct download links I found on a Google search, and finally directly to the iPad. All methods either timed out, or failed, and download speeds were about 27k/sec.

I started reading this thread. I was leery about changing DNS, etc., but decided to give the VPN idea a try. Googled "free VPN service", read an article on PCMag.com listing best free VPNs. Downloaded one of the recommended choices, opened it, and the download speed went up to 475k/sec when I tested the direct download link. I was able to download through iTunes, and the entire process took just over 3 hours.

I have no clue if the problem lies with Apple or FIOS. I just know that the VPN solution worked for me, and may help others who are disinclined to make some of the other suggested changes.

jdmass
@108.7.196.x

jdmass to Chuck_D

Anon

to Chuck_D
said by BillT :

You can do this on most home routers also by placing a static route (in Advanced Settings) to 17.253.0.0/16, with a next-hop of 127.0.0.1.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.

I can't seem to get null routing to work.

I tried to do this on my Macbook Pro. I entered:
sudo route add 17.253.0.0/16 127.0.0.1
It adds the route successfully, but when I try to download an iOS 8 image from appldnld.apple.com it never connects (just sits waiting for the webpage to load).
I also tried adding -blackhole to the above, with the same results.

When I delete the route, I'm once again able to download at the typical, excruciatingly slow speed.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

It looks like Apple's DNS servers might only be returning the Apple CDN IP addresses at this point. I checked Google, Level3, Optimum Online, and my school's DNS servers - they all return 17.253.0.0/16 addresses. None on Akamai.

You can try setting the IP manually in /etc/hosts (need sudo) to see if maybe some servers are faster than others:

I found these all from the various DNS servers. There's probably many more.
wispalord
join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO

wispalord to Springbok

to Springbok
correct apple prolly has multiple peers just like any other isp and the one that just happens to feed VZW is loaded more than the rest causing congestion this works both ways like I have 2 connections out my office one cable and dsl and I route lower priority traffic out the slower link because its not business critical same type of thing here

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to pshifrin

Premium Member

to pshifrin
I upgraded two devices to iOS8 yesterday. For the first one (my iPad), it took about, oh...15 minutes total, but I wasn't really paying much attention. This was early afternoon. For the second one (my iPhone), the first few attempts were showing estimated download times of 30+ hours with a tethered upgrade. That was late afternoon and I aborted for convenience purposes...I needed to use my phone. My subsequent attempt at about 5:30p brought a 4 minute download and the whole upgrade was done in about 10 minutes total. So that's quite a spread of anticipated/real download times!

CeeZee
join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA

CeeZee to webcobbler

to webcobbler
I am still having this problem. That is, I can't update my Apple TV.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

For giggles have you disconnected the atv from the wifi and reconnected?

Try with an ethernet cable and DHCP it?

Turn the router thing off, let it sit for a few minutes, turn back on?

Reset the atv?
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs to CeeZee

to CeeZee
Correct me if I'm wrong but apple TV and iTunes are still routed through akamai and Level 3 so the issue might be similar in general but not specific to the experience that is happening with the iOS update.
JimR013
join:2014-03-13
USA

JimR013 to CeeZee

to CeeZee
I have tried Open DNS, Google DNS to no avail for IOS 8
keeps timing out
but i just did my Apple TV it took about 5 Min
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by PJL:

I'm in Long Beach, California. I just downloaded the update for my iPhone via WiFi (I disabled cell system data before I began the download to ensure a WiFi download) and it download in just under nine minutes (which was the initial estimated time). Did I see something out of the ordinary?

I'm reposting this in hopes someone can respond.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

Many had better luck then others. Depends on the route Apple's CDN picked to your connection. You got a good route, and reached a server that was not oversaturated.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

gadgetboyj, thanks for the reply. From it I infer that Apple's CDN can pick better routes and servers than they are for those experiencing the download issues.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

Yes, that's why as some experienced earlier in the thread, people had unusable speeds, and then cancelled and restarted the download a few times to get fast speeds.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

It took me 4 hours to download the 10.9.5 update this morning. This on 150/150 FIOS. Wow. Something is eff'd up.
kingspud
join:2006-01-18
Massapequa, NY

kingspud to pshifrin

to pshifrin
Here we go, iOS 8.0.1 just released. 72 MB for iPhone 5s. How long does it say to download your update? Mine is starting at 14 minutes. Now up to 21 and climbing
pshifrin
join:2000-08-11
White Plains, NY

pshifrin

DON'T DOWNLOAD!!! It's bricking phones!!!!
kingspud
join:2006-01-18
Massapequa, NY

kingspud

Thanks for that. Here is a link to verify: »www.macrumors.com/2014/0 ··· s-8-0-1/

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

1 recommendation

matcarl

Premium Member

Wow, since when did the Verizon techs get a job at Apple?
Just kidding

CeeZee
join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA

CeeZee to Mike

to Mike
said by Mike:

For giggles have you disconnected the atv from the wifi and reconnected?

Try with an ethernet cable and DHCP it?

Turn the router thing off, let it sit for a few minutes, turn back on?

Reset the atv?

Finally got it to start. Tried two things: disconnected the power and then went directly into Setting>General>software update. It did start after about 5 minutes or at so Waiting For Update Server. It now says About 5 hours remaining. Joy. Oh, now says 8 hours. No Netflix for us tonight.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to Mike

to Mike
I have it connected via Ethernet. I have tried Restarting it, etc.

I am not that sophisticated to try DHCP.

I just figure that it is all due to the massive congestion of the network. EVEN AFTER A WEEK! lol

But IDK if it is because of VZ or Apple, or both.

I also can not remember an Apple Update cycle being this bad. IN the past, I only had to wait 2 or 3 days max to get an update that had a fast connection, and downloaded in no time.
webcobbler

webcobbler to CeeZee

to CeeZee
If I am lucky, it says 4 Hours, but then times out.

However, after a couple tries, my 720p Apple TV downloaded that update a couple days ago in about 15 minutes.