uniqs
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Puffy package of Jim Beam Pulled Chicken

Bought something like this: »www.samsclub.com/sams/jb ··· abAskAns with three sealed packages. Used the first two pretty quickly, but a few weeks later noticed the 3rd one had completely puffed up like a balloon. It is well within the expiration date by at least 5 weeks.

Any ideas of why the package blew up like this? Is it still safe to eat?

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

Have you opened the package to look at it?
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Not yet. It's clear, so I can see through it and it looks normal if that's what you were wondering.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

OK, thanks

I was thinking of some expensive cold cut that I bought from Costco. Put it in the freezer for a couple of months and when I took it out and opened it all I saw was what looked like cotton fluff.

Not good.

The choice is yours, bbear2 but I'd still like you around in case I have another 2Wire problem.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
If it wasn't puffed up before and is now, I'd toss it. If it was puffed up before, I'd probably still toss it.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to bbear2

MVM

to bbear2
Better safe then sorry as the saying goes?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
Why take a chance.

Bring it back to Sam's. You still have a few weeks to bring it back.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 recommendation

HarryH3 to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
Is there a customer service number on the package? If so, give them a call and ask. They will probably tell you NOT to eat it and send you some coupons for a free replacement.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
I agree with HarryH3 and PX Eliezer. Get a refund and maybe some coupons. The package might have been left to thaw or get too warm by mistake and somebody just put it in the cooler or freezer case anyway. Yes, it sometimes happens. The other that I have experienced is a extremely tiny hole gets put in the cover. There is a buildup of almost invisible rot that reseals the hole. The rot continues to build gases that puff out the cover. Open that cover and prepare to smell bad gases.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

2 recommendations

runnoft to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
A swollen food package is a warning sign of possible contamination with Clostridium botulinum which can lead to botulism poisoning according to the CDC. This is not something you want to roll the dice with. The package should not be opened let alone eaten:

"Don't open or puncture any unopened cans, commercial or home-canned, if you suspect contamination. Suspect contamination if the container is leaking, bulging or swollen..."

»www.cdc.gov/nczved/divis ··· ers.html
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Thanks for all the good ideas (as usual from dslreports). I did call the number on the package and gave them the particulars; now waiting for a call back. They did say not to eat it.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
Second the opinion to not eat it as it's a surefire sign that the food is not safe.

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium Member
join:2000-08-08
Alfred, ME

bewhole to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
As the saying goes "When in doubt throw it out" or if you can return it all the better.