All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

The unintended consequences of political posturing...

So in essence, he's going to leave a lot of rural folks wanting, with no service other than satellite.

Most of the rural fixed-wireless ISPs I've seen have no chance of supporting 10Mbps, and they're not cheap, even with subsidy.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

DeLiver3

Premium Member

That is how it read to me also.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

1 recommendation

linicx to elray

Premium Member

to elray
I don't know that this is a 100% accurate statement. My town has a phone duopoly which serves the same residents DSL over copper, or cable, bundled with Internet. Cable 4/1 is the same price as my 10/1 DSL, but 15/2 from cable is twice the price of 10/1 ADSL.

Friends in small towns in a neighbor county served by AT&T receive 6/1 bundled. The local WiSP sells 5/1 for $45. I don't know what Comcast delivers but I expect it to be the same or similar to AT&T basic. It is the same in the other small towns around. Small is less than 3000. The enclaves are small too at 50-200 residents

The hop from the main plant to the small plants aleo degrade speed due to he 20-30 miles between plants. .

Once out of the "last mile" rule the speed of DSL degrades slightly every 1/8th mile to less than 1.5Mbps despite the fact our telcos share a 100 Tbps fiber at the plant. There is also "dark fiber" in the state that is available for security reasons.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Your locations referenced support a duopoly and a Wisp - no subsidy required, so the Chair's remarks aren't relevant.