spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BKayrac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29

BKayrac

Premium Member

[HVAC] Gas furnace always sounds like it's running.

Alright, so my googlefu has failed me on this one.

This is a Duomatic Olsen Ultramax II furnace, my guess is, quite old.

I rent the bottom half of a house, we have a furnace in the basement that provides central heat(I guess you would call it that, through vents etc). Gas furnace.

Recently I've noticed that the furnace always sounds like it's running, when heat is required, it produces heat normally, blows normally etc.

I took the panel off there is a small white press/pull button that when pressed in(manual) runs the blower and it pushes un-heated air throughout the house. When pulled out(auto) no air is moved unless heat is required. This works normally.

As you can tell my experience is limited, however I don't 'think' that without the blower running, the furnace should sound like something is running? or am I mistaken in this?

If any other information would help, let me know and I'll get it, or do my best to try and get it :P

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

[HVAC] Re: Gas furnace always sounds like it's running.

I'm not sure I quite understand your description. You say when you pull the white button, the blower runs and when you push in the white button the blower doesn't run, right? So, if it's pushed in (like it should normally be), what is this sound you're hearing that makes you think the furnace is running?

BKayrac
Premium Member

1 edit

BKayrac

Premium Member

said by Tex:

I'm not sure I quite understand your description. You say when you pull the white button, the blower runs and when you push in the white button the blower doesn't run, right? So, if it's pushed in (like it should normally be), what is this sound you're hearing that makes you think the furnace is running?

It sounds like the blower is running, but a little more faint.

When I push the button in for manual, it gets a slight bit louder, and air is then pushed through the vents.

Would it help if I went downstairs and made a video so you can hear the sounds?

Edit, made a video showing what I mean. Waiting for google to process it now.
BKayrac

BKayrac

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 3IWNTTy8

Man, I forgot to hold the phone the proper way. My apologies.

However you can tell there is quite a bit of noise when the furnace should be idle. The button was always pulled out(auto mode) so the blower should only come on when the heat is required. But you can really tell the difference at the end when I pull the button back out, from when I pushed it in, I almost think it's just the noise from the air movement, and the blowers always on but not moving air?

I dunno perhaps I'm crazy, but I wanted to check to see if this was normal.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
said by BKayrac:

I don't 'think' that without the blower running, the furnace should sound like something is running? or am I mistaken in this?

Perhaps it is the pilot flame you are hearing? It burns all the time in older furnaces.

When thermostat asks for heat, the pilot flame lights the big gas burners, and after 30-60 seconds delay, the blower fan starts running.

My son likes to watch the whole sequence on our 1989 York furnace after pushing the up button on the thermostat.

BKayrac
Premium Member

BKayrac

Premium Member

said by lutful:

said by BKayrac:

I don't 'think' that without the blower running, the furnace should sound like something is running? or am I mistaken in this?

Perhaps it is the pilot flame you are hearing? It burns all the time in older furnaces.

When thermostat asks for heat, the pilot flame lights the big gas burners, and after 30-60 seconds delay, the blower fan starts running.

My son likes to watch the whole sequence on our 1989 York furnace after pushing the up button on the thermostat.

I thought I read something mentioning about the flame always burning in older ones.

I actually posted a video above of what I am talking about (the noise), hopefully that can help you guys in figuring out if I am crazy or not :P
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

Yes, it does sound like a fan is running continuously at low speed. Do you feel some air coming out of the vents? If not, it could be the 24V transformer or some relay buzzing.

P.S. The pilot flame only makes a hissing noise.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
Yeah, the other poster will get it solved for you. He's the resident expert on matters such as this. Good luck!

BKayrac
Premium Member

BKayrac to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
said by lutful:

Yes, it does sound like a fan is running continuously at low speed. Do you feel some air coming out of the vents? If not, it could be the 24V transformer or some relay buzzing.

P.S. The pilot flame only makes a hissing noise.

There is no air movement when the button is pulled out in auto mode(which is what it was in when I moved in)

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
Inducer motor stuck on?

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
Maybe it has a draft inducer that's stuck on?

Our furnace makes a noise like that for a few seconds after there's a call for heat before the blower fan kicks up.

*Edit*, Mackey beat me to it, LOL.

BKayrac
Premium Member

BKayrac

Premium Member

said by djrobx:

Maybe it has a draft inducer that's stuck on?

Our furnace makes a noise like that for a few seconds after there's a call for heat before the blower fan kicks up.

*Edit*, Mackey beat me to it, LOL.

:)

Alright, well is there a way for someone that has very limited knowledge of anything furnace to verify this?

Ultimately I rent, so I can give the landlord a call, but he literally just replaced our water heater yesterday, because hot water could barely last a shower, so I would feel bad if something else went wrong
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

I think that is the draft inducer in bottom/right corner - check if it is running.

BKayrac
Premium Member

BKayrac

Premium Member

said by lutful:

I think that is the draft inducer in bottom/right corner - check if it is running.

That part is in fact running, I noticed it when I took the cover off, placing my hand on it there is heat and vibration(from it running)
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
a) the relay which controls the draft inducer is faulty

OR

b) the relay is OK but some problem related to thermostat or 24V side is causing it to stay on

You can eliminate b) if the thermostat has not been changed recently.

BKayrac
Premium Member

BKayrac

Premium Member

said by lutful:

a) the relay which controls the draft inducer is faulty

OR

b) the relay is OK but some problem related to thermostat or 24V side is causing it to stay on

You can eliminate b) if the thermostat has not been changed recently.

Well, it's old, the previous tenants I believe was a group of kids that did god knows what(there were locks on the inside of the basement door, inside of every bedroom) etc. The landlord is really cool, but he can't fix things he doesn't know about. So I am going to assume it's probably A.

However, I appreciate the help greatly, I will be giving the landlord a call shortly, and when he gets someone out here to fix it, I will give an update as to exactly what it is if I remember.

Thank you again guys, you all are an invaluable resource for someone such as myself
BKayrac

BKayrac

Premium Member

So, I talked to my landlord, he said about 3 years ago they had the draft inducer replaced, and ever since then it's been running. So he said he thought that was how they set it up, to always run......Note he's a smart guy, he knew exactly what I meant when I said draft inducer, and he said he also thought it was supposed to turn on ~30 seconds before heating started, and run through the heating cycle. But that was how it was when it was replaced, so he thought the guy installed it to be always on.

Is that a possibility that it was installed to always run?

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

Possible? Yes, just wire it right to the power. Correct? No, it should not be wired that way.

/M

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix to BKayrac

to BKayrac
Never heard of one that always runs... it's wired wrong.
mix

mix

Or a relay is stuck on...

BKayrac
Premium Member

BKayrac

Premium Member

Thanks guys, thats what I thought as well from my basic research.

He said he's gonna call them and have them come out, so it'll get fixed at some point here

Although other than using extra electricity, not sure what it always running could cause, but mine as well get it done right :P

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

It's constantly pumping out conditioned air and drawing in unconditioned air (costing you $$).
It might be pumping out 150 CFM or more.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

Not to mention unnecessary wear and tear on the motor.

BKayrac
Premium Member

BKayrac

Premium Member

said by djrobx:

Not to mention unnecessary wear and tear on the motor.

Thats why I let the landlord know, and leave it to him to decide if he cares about the wear and tear

@nunya
As far as the conditioned air, isn't it only moving air from the basement as the blower isn't actually running?

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

stormbow

Premium Member

said by BKayrac:

As far as the conditioned air, isn't it only moving air from the basement as the blower isn't actually running?

Ultimately it needs to balance the outflow with inflow. If it can't get enough through leaks/openings in the basement it will pull conditioned air under/around the door or any other opening.

BKayrac
Premium Member

BKayrac

Premium Member

Re: [HVAC] Gas furnace always sounds like it's running.

Just an update, guy came that monday after I posted this, replaced a little black box(assuming the relay)

So you guys were spot on

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

Glad it's fixed

BKayrac
Premium Member

BKayrac

Premium Member

said by mackey:

Glad it's fixed

Yup, seems to work normally now , Although I cannot be sure exactly what was fixed, 'a little black box' is girlfriend terminology, as I was at work :P