spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Emmanuel A
@207.237.49.x

Emmanuel A

Anon

[Satellite] DirecTV picture Quality??

Hey guy i just had direct tv installed today i had Verizon FIOS and the picture quiality looks fuzzy ... it looks good but compare to FIOS the picture looks sorta grainy not as clear like on ESPN on the side FIOS was nice and clear DIrectv i see the grain and its not as sharp i made sure its at 1080i or the best it can be and still looks meh any reason why? Thanks guys
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Signal compression. An FTTH installation like FiOS has enormous capacity to handle lots of bits per second. A satellite system has less capacity, so the signal is compressed by removing some of the bits deemed less important. Extremely important sporting events are allocated the most bits per second by satellite companies, the other events may get reduced to balance this out.

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3 to Emmanuel A

Anon

to Emmanuel A
FIOS is fiber optics, DirecTV is sat, fiber optics has more bandwidth in a single strand than every satellite in space combined. DirecTV has to use high levels of compression to cram all the data in their tiny amount of bandwidth.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp to Emmanuel A

Premium Member

to Emmanuel A
DirecTV does not use high levels of compression and sends out some of the best PQ out there. Fios has admitted also to compressing picture now also due to bandwidth issues. ESPN is a bad example to compare on providers as there PQ sucks all the time.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Emmanuel A

Premium Member

to Emmanuel A
Keep in mind, ESPN is a Disney property. They (Disney) settled on 720p. So the box (or your TV) is upscaling to 1080i.

You may want to check out a channel that is native 1080i (or find a PPV to watch at 1080p).

When I switched back to DirecTV from TWC I couldn't believe how sucky TWC's PQ was. Night and day difference.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Emmanuel A

MVM

to Emmanuel A
Make sure your tuned into an HD channel on DirecTV. HD looks great on DirecTV. However if your tuned into an SD channel, it is overcompressed and looks worse than any other cable or fiber provider.

If you just had an HD system installed, then likely you do have the default option in the guide setup to "Hide SD Duplicates". If that is the case, if you tune to channel 206 ESPN, it should be displaying the HD version of ESPN.

Is it connected via HDMI?

What about other channels? How do they look? HGTV, DIY, USA, TNT, TBS, etc... ?

Is the DirecTV connected to a different input on your TV than the FIOS box? Most TV's video setings are per input. Perhaps on HDMI1, the contract, color and sharpness were set at one thing, and on HDMI2 they are set to a different setting or preset?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

An FTTH installation like FiOS has enormous capacity

Just because they have the capacity doesn't mean they use it.

I've heard of FIOS being more compressed than DTV.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Would the earlier BPON installations have something to do with that, compared to the later GPON installations?
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

No

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

Would the earlier BPON installations have something to do with that, compared to the later GPON installations?

Its a layer 8 thing.