spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jstory
join:2011-02-05
New Westminster, BC

jstory

[Cable] Cautionary note on technical support

For those thinking about going with TekSavvy for internet, it is important to be aware of limitations in its ability to resolve issues.

I had thought that TekSavvy was weak only in areas that were handled by the incumbent, but it is now clear that it also has limited knowledge in handling problems with its own equipment. I have a problem where the dhcp server provides the IP address, gateway address, and even DNS domain suffix, but nothing gets past the gateway. Since the gateway is TekSavvy's, it seems trivial to me for someone to check that the gateway is up, but for the better part of a day this has been beyond the capabilities of the tech people. I could be wrong, but I believe that this sort of thing is even doable by tier one folk in more organized companies. For TekSavvy, however, tier one support has been utterly ineffectual.

I have been a customer for years, but this technical "balls up" has made me aware of just how intolerable a lengthy loss of service is. It is extremely disappointing to learn that TekSavvy has done nothing to increase its technical support capability.

Charlee
Premium Member
join:2013-09-05
canada

Charlee

Premium Member

From what your saying with nothing getting past the gateway,but having a valid IP it sounds like your having a routing issue. This is normally something that troubleshooting, and a ticket is required to have looked into.

Sometimes that requires trace routes, or ns looksups to see if anything is connected or where the issue would be.
said by jstory:

I believe that this sort of thing is even doable by tier one folk in more organized companies

By more "organized" do you mean the incumbents? If so, they do have much different tools, and more access to see through to customers connections. Unfortunately these tools aren't always provided to the TPIAs to use....
said by jstory:

It is extremely disappointing to learn that TekSavvy has done nothing to increase its technical support capability.

Yikes... If you look up different posts from their CEO Marc, hes really trying to get more access through, going to the CRTC fighting for the access for all TPIAs. Its a struggle they are VERY aware of, but they are definitely trying...

Hopefully this fight goes well so that all the TPIAs can benefit from it.

We have to keep supporting these TPIAs to get the rules changed and not just let the incumbents take over and win... Lets keep up the support for the little guys

Calero27
join:2014-01-13
Chatham, ON

Calero27 to jstory

to jstory
It sounds like a routing issue and in most case what is happening is the router before the hand off into the Teksavvy network is not sending anything to that router, in most cases is because the path was not configured by the vendor.

Routing issue's are the worst to deal with as the vendor requires lots of testing before they even look at the issue.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.