Search similar:

uniqs

JeffinKenner
@72.200.24.x

JeffinKenner

Anon

[LA] Cable modem life

How long does a cable modem last? I have had my Model Name: SB6121
Vendor Name: Motorola for 2 years and I'm happy with it. It barely gets warm to the touch.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

Beezel

It can last for a few minutes to many many years. There really isn't a given time span. Different factors apply.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to JeffinKenner

MVM

to JeffinKenner
FWIW I have been running my current Motorola SB5101U since April 2010. It's working just fine on my Preferred tier service. No complaints...
round_toit
Premium Member
join:2005-02-01
Pensacola, FL

1 recommendation

round_toit to JeffinKenner

Premium Member

to JeffinKenner
I had one last about 3 weeks. Lightning got it.
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

1 recommendation

Sentinel to JeffinKenner

Premium Member

to JeffinKenner
I have mine on a battery back up and it has lasted a few years so far. I have never had one go bad. Only 3 in 10yrs. I have the Cisco right now and it runs very very hot so I don't know how much longer it will last.
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

1 recommendation

bchandler02 to JeffinKenner

to JeffinKenner
Had my 51xx for about 8 years, no issues. Then I upgraded to my DPC3010 in 2011 (i think) and no issues there either.

Mine is on a large UPS with the rest of my office.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

1 recommendation

m8trix to JeffinKenner

to JeffinKenner
as for how long a modem will physically run I have seen 1- 10 years, but avg life span is a combination of how long it takes to physically fail and how long before its outdated(which is the most common reason to replace). the avg life span for a modem is about 3 years from the time the model comes out
round_toit
Premium Member
join:2005-02-01
Pensacola, FL

1 recommendation

round_toit to JeffinKenner

Premium Member

to JeffinKenner
Since several have mentioned UPS, all my computers have750W gold PFC Active power supplies supplied by Seasonic, protected by »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 42102134

However, cox does not recommend running the coax through the UPS, the lightning that hit me, came in through the cable, through the modem, router, and nic.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

2 recommendations

CoxTech1

On the matter of coax through the UPS your mileage will vary. If you try it and don't have issues there's nothing wrong with it however for many this setup will cause signal problems.
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

1 recommendation

Sentinel

Premium Member

I guess this depends on the quality of your UPS/surge protector. I tried it on mine and the signal loss was noticeable so I stopped it.

johnburns
join:2004-10-14
Oklahoma City, OK

1 recommendation

johnburns to JeffinKenner

to JeffinKenner
My Motorola SP5101 which I just replaced lasted 6 years - was still working, but intermittently.

JeffinKenner
@72.200.24.x

JeffinKenner to CoxTech1

Anon

to CoxTech1
I have an APC 15 min backup but don't have the coax hooked to it. I don't want to risk noise.