Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

[Firmware] E4200v2 updated to the Linksys Smart WiFi GUI by itself

I don't know when this happened, but I've had my E4200v2 for over 2 years. When Linksys/Cisco introduced their Smart WiFi a while ago, I never updated to it. Instead, I kept the original setup pages.

This morning I typed in 192.168.1.1 and got a whole new GUI for Linksys Smart WiFi. I still did not sign up for it, but instead, just signed into the router pages. They are pretty cool now, and my firmware was automatically updated, however, how did it update itself all of a sudden? I haven't signed in to the setup pages for about a month, so it happened recently. Any ideas?

Thanks

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

1 recommendation

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

While I am not sure the exact details, but I can only tell you what I know.

I point to »kb.linksys.com/Linksys/u ··· id=25856 and to »kb.linksys.com/Linksys/G ··· verted=0

#1 As noted at those URLs, if Upgrade Automatically is checked the router Automatically checks and Upgrades the router.

#2 Also the router has default settings.

So if your router you have Upgrade Automatically unchecked and if someone resets the router back to the default settings, then after they reset the router Upgrade Automatically will be checked.

#3 Also if you want to go back to the classic firmware, at those URLs it tells you how to.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 recommendation

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thank you.....I believe that Upgrade Automatically was checked, so that must be why it updated to the Linksys Smart WiFi.

I'm currently saving my pennies for the WRT1900AC. From looking at youtube videos, the interface on the WRT1900AC is very similar if not the same.

I'll leave it the way it is for now and see how it performs. Firmware was updated too, so maybe it will solve a few issues that I have.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by lordpuffer:

So maybe it will solve a few issues that I have..

Like what issues?

Thank you

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I bought the E4200v2 when it first came out. About a year after having it, it stopped working all together. Linksys sent me the refurb E4200v2 that I currently have over a year ago.

I am on a 70/6 plan with my ISP. I have a PC wired to the E4200v2, and a Mac and a PC wireless (along with a phone, tablet and Roku).

My iMac is the main machine that I use. I use it on the 5GHz band. When it's working properly, I get around 70/6. However, it slows up drastically by itself almost 4-5 times per week (it doesn't lose connection though), and the only way to get back to around 70/6 is by turning my iMac's WiFi off and then on again. I had the same issue with a PC (on the 2.4GHz band) that I used to have wireless. I had to constantly disconnect and then connect again to get a decent speed.

The same thing happens with the current wireless PC. Also, the 2.4GHz is pitiful, as no matter what I set it at, the most I can get is around 30/6. I've adjusted the wireless setting many times to no avail.

Finally, a similar thing happens to the wired PC. Except that I have to reboot it at times to get around 70/6.

Maybe with the new firmware that I just automatically received, these issues will be helped. I'm going to check it out the next few days. If these issues are not fixed, I have my eye on the WRT1900AC.

Sorry for the long explanation

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

That is not the answer. WRT1900AC has its own fair share of issues. Personally. I have not had any problems with mine. But many many others have. And the firmware. Releases are extremely slow. Especially to fix remaining bugs. It has been over 2 1/2 months since a new release. I just asked a few days ago about a new release. Here is what Linksys had to say. Furthermore. If you planned on using 3rd party firmware with this router as advertised. Its not happening any time soon if ever.

Hi Brent,

Our apologies for the inconvenience but like you, we are also anticipating for the release of the new firmware. No worries, as soon as we hear a feedback that it's out, we will contact you back personally. For now, let us know the challenge that you are having with the device. Our relevant team may have a workaround for it.

We will wait for your reply and again, our sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

We truly appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Linksys Support
»support.linksys.com

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I know about the 3rd party firmware issue for that was why everyone was waiting for the router to come out. That's pretty messed up on Linksys' part. I was thinking of a variety of ASUS routers, but they seem to have their own share of stock firmware problems (I'm not a big adventurer of 3rd party firmware; would just stick with the stock firmware no matter what I get).

I rarely hear of a router with no or very little issues. So I thought that the WRT1900AC would be my router of lesser evil. I'll see how my new firmware goes and take into consideration your input.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

2 recommendations

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

No problem. Regardless. I am still very pleased with mine and have no regrets at all. I certainly had a chance to take it back as well. I got it at Best Buy and they have a 15 day return policy. My last router was the Linksys E4200 v1. Used it for a little over 3 years. Replaced it only because of age. I also used 3rd party Tomato firmware on it. Extremely solid. Even the stock firmware was. Btw. Release notes for the new firmware you received. They fixed a lot of things.

Linksys Products

Product: E4200

Hardware Version: 2

Classification: Firmware Release History

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT:
- This firmware is compatible ONLY with E4200 hardware version 2.
- The safest way to perform the firmware upgrade is to use a wired computer.
- DO NOT power cycle the Router during the firmware upgrade process.

===========================================================================
Release Date: July 31, 2014
Firmware version: 2.1.41 (Build 162351)

Note: If running Setup again after this firmware update, please use the latest version of Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Setup from support.linksys.com. Older versions of Setup are not compatible with this newer version of firmware.

Many bug fixes and improvements included since previous version. Highlights:

- Local login UI more closely matches cloud login UI. New product name is Linksys Smart Wi-Fi.
- Added an option to Device List to allow clean up and rediscovery of all devices that user has not previously customized with a new name or icon.
- Internet Explorer 11 now supported for local login.
- Support for local UI login using Safari on iPads with iOS version 7 or 8.
- Improved device discovery to discover more device models and reduce likelihood of duplicate devices appearing.
- Text localization improved in many areas.
- Local login allows for editing of Guest network SSID without modifying main network SSID. Note: this will trigger a router reboot in order to allow the new SSID to be broadcast.
- Security fixes.
- USB Storage layout improved and renamed as External Storage.
- Default SSID changes when in factory reset state to LinksysXXXXX naming convention.
- Security turned on by default when FTP feature enabled.
- Improved URL blocking behavior in Parental Controls.
- Fixed an issue where media files on a USB drive may be converted to folders.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks for the Release Notes. I didn't even think of looking at it. The first line explains the new UI.

I'll give it a ride around the park and see how it now behaves.