robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Jack in VA

Mod

to Jack in VA

Re: [Tools] New Husqvarna Battery-Powered OPE

Jack -- say whatever you want. I posted my personal experience and then backed up what I have experienced with knowledge from the oil industry. If your personal experience is different than mine then post your experience. Once again -- in my experience, higher octane fuel stores better than lower octane. Perhaps it is because it can loose a little octane and still be in the range required by the engine. I have a lot of expensive, pro quality equipment and running the higher octane eliminates fuel problems for me. Fuel problems cost time which is money.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Jack -- I have a lot of expensive, pro quality equipment and running the higher octane eliminates fuel problems for me. Fuel problems cost time which is money.

I have a 2014 $50,000+ Auto that the dealer says it's fine to run regular ethanol gas in. That's all the info I need.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I never thought of going to my auto dealer to discuss the care of my professional lawn equipment. I save that for the lawn equipment shop. Do you even to your own lawn maintenance?

Jack in VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

I have my lawn equipment dealer service my equipment. I only put gas in them. Their recommendation is not to leave ethanol gas in them or use non-ethanol gas. Nothing what-so-ever about regular or premium.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Click for full size
Well, SwedishRider, I have to say I am quite happy with this little Husky. It cleared my grandmother's entire lawn in very fast time. I usually just mulch the leaves in with the mower, but I figured there was no better time to give this thing a work out.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

In my state, you can't buy ethanol free gasoline. It must have at least 10% ethanol content to be sold. The only way around that for OPE is to buy something like TruFuel which is 95 octane (with no ethanol).

Which state do you live in? pure-gas.org has almost all of them listed.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

1 edit

StillLearn to toby

Premium Member

to toby
said by toby:

Higher octane petrol is a rip off, people who use it can not be convinced not to use it, it is a religion to them.

I disagree. The real zealots are those who jump on people for using premium. You seldom see a zealot trying to convert somebody who uses regular to switch to premium.

What gasoline do you think predominates at the drag strip? Those are not evangelists.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
You know our electric rates in CT. I try to avoid anything I need to plug in.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack in VA to StillLearn

Premium Member

to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

said by toby:

Higher octane petrol is a rip off, people who use it can not be convinced not to use it, it is a religion to them.

I disagree. The real zealots are those who jump on people for using premium. You seldom see a zealot trying to convert somebody who uses regular to switch to premium.

What gasoline do you think predominates at the drag strip? Those are not evangelists.

How many drivers buying gasoline run their vehicles on a drag strip? If the manufacturer doesn't require premium then don't use it.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to StillLearn

Premium Member

to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

said by toby:

I think he meant it is a waste to use it in engines that do not require it. And if so, he is correct. Engines typically found at the drag strip require higher octane rating because of the engine design. Most small engines do not require it.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by Jack in VA:

How many drivers buying gasoline run their vehicles on a drag strip? If the manufacturer doesn't require premium then don't use it.

I don't know. How many like to accelerate a little more briskly away from a light or toll booth? I don't know that number either. And I know you don't know either.

Your attack was fairly broad based rather than limiting its scope.
said by Lurch77:

I think he meant it is a waste to use it in engines that do not require it. And if so, he is correct. Engines typically found at the drag strip require higher octane rating because of the engine design. Most small engines do not require it.

Many people who run at a drag strip do so in totally stock (not "stock" in quotes) cars. They usually run less than 100 MPH in the quarter. They enjoy it. That's great. I mention drag racers because they measure the effects of things.

Many current cars come with knock sensors from the factory. They all have computers. The computer can control not only spark timing, but in some it can change valve timing. The computer can adjust things to get more power until the knock sensor says to back off. So premium reasonably is the choice at the drag strip for such a car. It also would be useful for some body who likes more acceleration or who tows a trailer and likes it when the premium keeps the towing vehicle from downshifting during some hills.

Now Jack's attack was broad. It was not limited to use in small engines. Some makers recommend against using regular: »www.echo-usa.com/Warrant ··· -Ethanol would be an example. Others engines that may run fine to begin with but accumulate some deposits that increases the compression ratio could benefit from higher octane. And what waste are you talking about for a trimmer? 44 cents instead of 41 cents?

I suspect ptrowski might pay 5 cents in CT for electricity rather than 41 cents. However the elecric either needs a cord or has a battery with limited endurance. The costs are small for any of these.

Am I advocating premium for most people or Jack? No way. It costs more. Those who want to get better acceleration or towing power from a car? Maybe, but I am not going to attack anybody for their preference. I may criticize unfair criticism, but I feel that is maybe a defense rather than an attack.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

You don't seem to understand gasoline and octane completely. Octane does nothing for performance. It does not make your engine more powerful, it does not make your car faster. Your engine dictates what grade fuel you need to run, not the other way around. This is a long standing myth, and one that the oil companies perpetuate. Now, with a smile and nod, I'll leave this quote and link and be moving on.
quote:
To wrap things up: no, you won’t see a power or fuel efficiency increase by running high octane fuel in an engine that has been tuned and designed for Regular gas, nor will doing so perform any extra ‘cleaning’ inside the motor. On the flip side, running low octane fuel in an engine built for Premium can increase the risk of engine damage and will certainly impact that unit’s overall performance. The next time someone tries to pass these myths off on you, you can try explaining to them how octane ratings really work – or you can just smile and nod, pay for your gas and move on.
»www.nicoclub.com/archive ··· ths.html
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

2 edits

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to toby

Premium Member

to toby
said by toby:

Which state do you live in? pure-gas.org has almost all of them listed.

I checked, only race fuel is available in non-ethanol where I am.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

You don't seem to understand gasoline and octane completely. Octane does nothing for performance. It does not make your engine more powerful, it does not make your car faster. Your engine dictates what grade fuel you need to run, not the other way around. This is a long standing myth, and one that the oil companies perpetuate. Now, with a smile and nod, I'll leave this quote and link and be moving on

Your dad was right when he told you that. However engines are different today. Many run fine on AKI 87, but some of those will give more power on AKI 89 or 92. I understand that goes against your beliefs.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Well that wasn't passive aggressive, was it? Now who is attacking who?

Some engines will, because they were designed for it. If not, your throwing money down your fill neck. That's my point.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
North, VA

2 edits

Jack in VA to StillLearn

Premium Member

to StillLearn

Now Jack's attack was broad.
Am I advocating premium for most people or Jack? I may criticize unfair criticism, but I feel that is maybe a defense rather than an attack.

There was no "Jack" attack. Just a post to someone who is obviously not understanding gasoline and octane rating. Nothing more. Several others has pointed this out to you.
quote:
With slight variations—depending on the crude oil and the refining and blending processes used in production—all gasoline grades contain the same amount of chemical energy. When combusted, premium (high-octane) gasoline and the less-expensive (and less-glamorous) regular, and all grades in between, provide the same amount of thermal energy, or heat, which an engine uses to generate the mechanical power that moves a vehicle.
»www.reference.com/browse ··· e+number

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by Lurch77:

Well that wasn't passive aggressive, was it? Now who is attacking who?

Some engines will, because they were designed for it. If not, your throwing money down your fill neck. That's my point.

Maybe...

What would you call a 10.5 compression ratio engine with knock sensors and variable valve timing... but whose owners manual specs 87 AKI gasoline? Designed for it, or not? I have that.

My butt dynamometer says more acceleration with premium, but not more mileage. Others with the same model report that when towing through hills, on the same hill 87 downshifts, and premium does not. That seems a lot more rigorous than a butt dynamometer. Now if I do get more acceleration for more money am I throwing money away? It depends on your point of view. I normally run 87. the price differential has gone up. But if I went to a drag strip I would go premium (before-hand to let the computer adjust its numbers adjust to the new fuel).
said by Jack in VA:

There was no "Jack" attack. Just a post to someone who is obviously not understanding gasoline and octane rating. Nothing more. Several others has pointed this out to you.

Several others "has"? or Lurch77 has? He is reasonable. And he is multi-faceted... but he is not multiple people.

Sorry to the others that I helped mess up this tool thread in response. I haven't bothered post to disagree with you lately.
System

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Anon

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course