All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

theboyk
join:2004-10-04
Toronto, ON

theboyk

[Cable] TekSavvy MyAccount bandwidth usage double what my monitoring reports?

Hello.

I've been noticing higher-than-normal usage on my cable service via TSI (got an alert saying we'd used half our monthly bandwidth, even though we hadn't been home for over two weeks of that month, with no devices running, etc.—and yes, WiFi is secure and I'm not getting people stealing WiFi, etc.). Since then, I started paying more attention to the bandwidth usage (checking it daily). I've always used Tomato (Shibby) on my routers for monitoring bandwidth, and it's always been very accurate. As well, my DSL account (using the same model router, same Tomato/Shibby setup/build, etc.) gets consistent usage between my monitoring (again, Tomato/Shibby) and TSI MyAccount reports, but the cable is way off. Checking yesterdays usage (September 18th), Tomato is reporting 0.99GB total bandwidth usage (up/down, 24 hours), but TSI MyAccount is reporting 2.31GB usage for the same time period.

The cable connection is low-use (all the heavy bandwidth goes through my DSL account, and reporting between Tomato/TSI are very close), so it's concerning me this drastic different between what I see, and what TSI sees, when it comes to my cable bandwidth usage.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,
Kristin.

Viral
join:2011-09-10
Windsor, ON

Viral

Shoot an inquiry over to the Direct forum, I'd think someone's cloning your CM MAC Address if there's reported use during the time you've been away. Assuming you have no automated downloads (Steam/Origin/uTorr)
dallas1
join:2014-04-16
Oshawa

dallas1 to theboyk

to theboyk
The Tomato/Shibby monitoring Bandwidth is broken just turn it off

theboyk
join:2004-10-04
Toronto, ON

theboyk

Really? I've been using it for years and have never had issues with it before?
theboyk

theboyk to Viral

to Viral
Nope, no auto-downloads or anything else unaccounted for.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to dallas1

to dallas1
Yeah it's not broken. The data that's being provided to Tek is off, it's either high or low. I've seen the same thing on my end. An example: On the 16 I pulled 32.34GB, Tek reports 23.18GB, on 18th I pulled 6.93 Tek reports 7.26.
Mighty84mike
join:2013-10-15

1 edit

Mighty84mike to theboyk

to theboyk
Had the exact same thing. Let me tell you my story without overcomplicating it.

Back in august, Counter strike had one of it's biggest tournaments of the year. That being said, it was in germany, therefore streaming was late @ night, from 4amish - 2pm in the afternoon.

Anyways, if u link your twitch account and watch the stream, you can get gun skins in game, etc, etc bla bla bla.

The tournament ran from Thursday > Sunday.

here we go.

Go to bed, run the stream on mobile connection. Wake up in morning, either 1) turn it to high and watch until over, or 2, goto work and keep it on mobile connection.

Long story short, from thursday - sunday i used about 20gb per day. For the rest of the month, not streaming, or doing ANYTHING.... the usage portal continued to pull in 18gb-22gb PERDAY. Without even remotely doing anything as intensive as the streaming listed above.

Of course, tek savvy gave the usual b.s (check if someone is stealing your wifi, bla bla bla)

I was out an entire day and somehow still produced 20gb of usage that day.

Anyways, 301GB later, on august 26th, i had to literally TURN OFF my modem for the rest of the month to avoid overages.

As of september, i am now on zap the cap as I just don't trust the portal anymore. It's happened to me as well a few months prior, although it's quite hard to produce evidence as to how the portal is lying or wrong.

Sorry for the messy post, although i am a firm believer that the portal usage tracker is completely incorrect and it's a shame.

---edit---

just to put this into perspective, i looked up the usage.

The tournament ran from August 14th till the 17th.

8/14/2014 18.3
8/15/2014 21.41
8/16/2014 17.84
8/17/2014 18.96

And here is the usage thereafter. I would love Tek to explain to me how the usage below was similar to the usage above when I barely streamed at all and was out for one of those days.

8/18/2014 18.68
8/19/2014 19.82
8/20/2014 19.45
8/21/2014 19.73
8/22/2014 18.51
8/23/2014 18.67
8/24/2014 18.05

This is where i had to shut off my modem for the rest of the month.
8/25/2014 0.92
8/31/2014 0.01

Ottawa dude
@198.103.167.x

Ottawa dude to theboyk

Anon

to theboyk
I have a good one. My cable was between modems. They kept mixing up the proper MAC ID to use. In any event I was without cable for 3 weeks. In the middle of this period there was 17GB DL and 3GB UL. When I finally contacted TS about my service I mentioned this to them. The rep said they would look into it. In any event I have the router off, the modem on waiting for service and yet 20GB has been used when they knew service wasn't active and I was out of country with my family.

Just to say yes I think the meter may be incorrect.