Edin702
join:2008-02-29
Virginia Beach, VA
Asus RT-AC68
ARRIS SB6183
ARRIS DG1670

Edin702

Got a Copyright Infringement Notice!

So I`m not sure what section to put this in, but it does have a bit worried. I have a small Server I use to backup files etc well someone has gained access to it via my TightVNC Server (I had a decent password on it) Unless there's something else but Its clean no spyware/Malware/Virus etc.

Anyway It had been awhile since I remotely logged onto it and on the desktop where a TON of folders, and a lot of things being seeded (Which I don't understand the persons purpose I ONLY have a 2Mbps upload speed lol)

I deleted everything and closed the TightVNC Server port including the service for now, and Today I got a Call from a toll free number with a message and it put me on hold, But I hung up and Called the ISP Tech support number to make sure it was a legit phone call and I got transferred to "Customer Service" and which I was told that they got a Claim from Viacom for Downloading Beavis and Butthead Season 3 (Which I own Several of there series on DVD no reason to be downloading them) There was only 1 claim which was that I told him the situation and asked me to make sure there was no files remaining and which I confirmed and he said he closed the ticket.

So Now what? Am I good? Anything to worry about? I read a lot about other ISP`s just sending a letter etc Saying dont do it again or Deleted or stop etc. But my ISP is a smaller ISP and I`m not sure if things would be different or not.

I do Torrent things, but usually only Phone Roms, Linux, etc.

Thanks

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

You should be alright, typically it's a 3 strikes type thing. And given that you explained what happened it may not even count as a strike.

BIGMIKE
Q
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Gainesville, FL

BIGMIKE to Edin702

Premium Member

to Edin702
I never get Notice use a vpn for long time

Edin702
join:2008-02-29
Virginia Beach, VA
Asus RT-AC68
ARRIS SB6183
ARRIS DG1670

Edin702 to andrewc2

to andrewc2
Okay, I know with Comcast they have the Strike thing, But Since its a smaller ISP Idk. This is my 2nd Copyright notice, BUT My other one was back in 2007 and it was a mix up with the IP address so it wasn't even counted most likely.

No Point in needing a VPN dont really do anything illegal lol.

I will admit to Downloading Windows 95, 98, extremely old software though lol But not through Torrents, But with most of the older software I have legal CD Keys I just no longer have the CD`s