All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Turbinator
join:2007-10-14
Mississauga, ON

Turbinator

I want to swith from DSL to Cable, what needs to happen?

I now the obvious answer, call the office and tell them.

However, what I am interested in are all the steps needed to insure a smooth, blackout free transition. Anyone gone through this process?

What are the fees I'm going to be charged?

I currently have DSL6 and frankly I am sick and tired of the 2.5 actual that I am getting, and the unstable nature of DSL. These century old copper lines where never intended to carry modern internet traffic through them. It is time for cable internet.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

You buying a modem from us or your own? This will help me give you more info.

Turbinator
join:2007-10-14
Mississauga, ON

Turbinator

I think I am just going to go ahead and buy a modem from you guys. This way I know it works. And I am eyeing the CABLE 30 150GB 44.95/month plan.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Ok. So. You will need to call in and place the order. You will need to mention that you are buying a modem from us. This should knock $20 on the activation fee for you.

If you don't have active cable services, you will need to provide us with three dates for a tech visit, if you have active cable, then I believe it's one date without a tech.

We will then notify you via email once we receive the confirmation of which day your service will be installed. You will then receive a call 24 hours prior from the incumbents to confirm and remind you of your appointment. On the day of the tech will be present if you need one and the service will be installed. My recommendation is to leave the DSL service active for about three days to make sure that your connection is stable and usable once that's been proven you can call in to disconnect the DSL anytime after that point. Since the DSL service is paid in advance you might as well just disconnect it whenever you're paid up until.

Then, to make some of your money back you can just sell your DSL modem.

If you post in the direct forum, we'll be able to give you an exact quote on how much all the fees are. I'm just not in front of my computer to go to give you an exact quote.

Cheers,

Andre
TSI Andre

TSI Andre to Turbinator

Premium Member

to Turbinator
Hold on. I just got done what I was doing so I'm almost home. I'll pop on and get you that quote.
TSI Andre

TSI Andre to Turbinator

Premium Member

to Turbinator
Voila:

With new modem (12 months of warranty)
Service $44.95
Modem $99.00
Shipping $10.00
Activation Fee $65.00
Subtotal $218.95
Discount ($20.00)
Total $227.41

With open box modem (3 months of warranty - tested before they go out)
Service $44.95
Modem $80.00
Shipping $10.00
Activation Fee $65.00
Subtotal $199.95
Discount ($20.00)
Total $205.94

There is also a rent-to-own option on the new modem which makes it a little cheaper up front but has low monthly payments added for the first few months.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Any open box DCM476 around at the moment?

(edit: for additional $20 off the total cost, if you are so inclined)

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

I am pretty sure we should have a few kicking around.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Turbinator

Premium Member

to Turbinator
said by Turbinator:

Anyone gone through this process?

The transition, as described by TSI Andre, is almost always smooth and painless. Just remember the cable modem will automatically start working about half an hour after the technician leaves your place--which confuses people--which I think is the point.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

1 edit

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Maybe cepnot4me See Profile can confirm whether or not the tech simply goes back to his truck, calls his central & advises job was completed. After which, the service can start to work at the customers premises.