spc
Search similar:

uniqs
redpenguin
join:2010-06-17
united state

1 edit

redpenguin

How to get a CableCard firmware downgraded?

To ABBJason or anybody else in the JTown/Altoona area that can get the ball rolling on this issue.

My buddy has an HDHomeRun PRIME, 3 digital (no analog) tuner unit, that allows you to watch live/recorded TV over Ethernet.

The issue is, ABB is using 1.5.3 built on Jun 6 2013 build.

This means that about 3 days ago many channels from Bravo & AMC, to FXX and NGC all say they are copyonce via CGMS. This issue means that free/open-source non-DRM supporting software such as MythTV cannot record the content in question. As Linux is installed on the recording PC, Windows Media Center is not viable.

According to SiliconDust, the makers of the unit, they said ABB needs to downgrade the CableCard to version 1.5.2 and lock it at that firmware, as it's a change CableLabs made to the specialization that if the cableco doesn't send CCI or the CableCard itself doesn't send CCI to the unit, it has to look at CGMS from the station which causes the issue.

Version 1.5.2 is from before this change and they have a bunch of users with various cableco's report this for a fact fixes it.

Yet at least one headend person did not understand the need for this.

I have attempted to email some of the headend folks and am still waiting for a response.
ABBJason
join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

I will try to get this to someone who can take a look at it.
redpenguin
united state

1 edit

redpenguin

Thanks again. ABBJason.

An employee named Kevin M has already downgraded it.

It is working perfectly now.

Thanks again ABB for restoring my service.

Had to email HeadEnd folks, because no disrespect, the customer service and cable tech route barely got me anywhere as they admitted they barely diagnose CableCards.
ABBJason
join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

Yeah there is a divide between how to enable a cable card, how to refresh the channel line up to it, and what firmware is and does etc. Sorry if it was a pain to get someone to take a close look.
JimmyK814
join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

I have the same exact issue. Where do I start?
redpenguin
united state

redpenguin

I know this is a tad late, but JimmyK814, I sent you some IMs not too long ago with contact info's for persons to contact.