Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: Russian bombers knock on Canada's Arctic doorstep

said by Gone:

Exactly. And whether we like it or not, Canada is a strategic ally for the Americans. No one fucks with us because doing so is of the same equivalency as fucking directly with the Americans.

And that's probably why my government would defend Canada. But I can honestly say that I would defend Canada not because it's in our best interests, but because it is the right thing to do.

We got your back, yo!

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
I'd hate to be the Russians in those crews playing chicken. "So what's the goal here? See how close we can get before being exploded out of the sky? Wonder if Aeroflot is hiring......."
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

And that's probably why my government would defend Canada. But I can honestly say that I would defend Canada not because it's in our best interests, but because it is the right thing to do.

I think that [both] factors are important.

For example the right thing to do would be to send some military equipment to Ukraine, but we send them freeze-dried meals and tents.

The right thing to do would be to establish a meaningful NATO base in eastern Europe as a deterrent, but we propose a "rapid reaction force" that would take a week to get into action.

Countries act in their own interests.

When it also coincides with the "right thing" that's a nice bonus, but it is insufficient on its own.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

1 recommendation

Ian1 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
If nothing else, it's a good starting point to start explaining to the young whipper-snappers what it was like to grow up in the Cold War, if we can pull them away from their "smart phones", Tweeters and Face-Spaces....... Although those things usually keep them off of my lawn.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to Ian1

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

I'd hate to be the Russians in those crews playing chicken. "So what's the goal here? See how close we can get before being exploded out of the sky? Wonder if Aeroflot is hiring......."

exactly they got a little to close for comfort, despite claims these exercises are performed on regular basis.
jaberi

jaberi to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
you will not get that with the slow poke Barack.

Harpo hit Vlad the hardest with the sanctions, and Vlad ain't forgetting that.....who is to say calculating Vlad can't send his planes to play some chicken with Canada when USA get busy in the mid east.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to jaberi

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

said by Ian1:

exactly they got a little to close for comfort, despite claims these exercises are performed on regular basis.

"Too close for comfort" is a relative term. Separation is measured in feet.
jaberi

jaberi

quote: DKS
quote:
"Two Russian Tupolev bombers got within 100 km of Canadian airspace in the Arctic"

"Russian bombers often fly near Canada's airspace and are often shadowed by Canadian or U.S. fighter jets controlled by NORAD.
But it is rare for the Russians to get as close as they did to Canadian airspace on Thursday."

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

U.S. and Canada Intercept Eight Russian Military Jets off North American Coastline

....Officials confirmed that on Wednesday night, two American F-22 fighter planes intercepted several Russian military aircrafts -- two Mig-31 fighter jets, two Russian Bear long-range bombers and two refueling tankers -- about 55 miles off the western Alaska coastline. A pair of Canadian CF-18 fighter jets halted two other Russian bomber planes roughly 40 nautical miles off Canada’s coastline early Thursday morning, around 1:30 a.m.

....(NORAD) spokeswoman Maj. Beth Smith told The Los Angeles Times that the Russian aircrafts were probably conducting “training exercises” off the western Alaska coast. But an official told CNN that the planes’ presence may be related to Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko’s recent stay in North America.

»www.newsweek.com/us-and- ··· iano_t=1

those two US F-22s could likely take out the two MIG-31s, the Bears and the refuelling tankers without breaking a sweat...Russia would best smarten up...the spanking will hurt...hard.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

you will not get that with the slow poke Barack.

But that may be the one time why it's good we have a right wing (led by Fox) to prod him if needed.
said by jaberi:

Harpo hit Vlad the hardest with the sanctions, and Vlad ain't forgetting that...

I agree about Mr. Harper, he has balls.
said by jaberi:

...who is to say calculating Vlad can't send his planes to play some chicken with Canada when USA get busy in the mid east.

Even when the US was maximally engaged in Iraq and Afghanistan, we had (and have) lots of planes. Don't worry on that particular account.

For its own selfish reasons if nothing else the US will not let Putin fuck around in North America. Obama has enough testosterone at least for that.
jaberi

jaberi to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

You do know this happens on an almost regular occurrence, right?

"Russian bombers often fly near Canada's airspace and are often shadowed by Canadian or U.S. fighter jets controlled by NORAD.
But it is rare for the Russians to get as close as they did to Canadian airspace on Thursday."
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Welcome to Nunavut!
Nunavutmut Tunngasugitsi!

They were merely attracted by the tourist advertising campaign.
jaberi

jaberi to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
don't you be talking about the FOX powerhouse preachers...lol

Barack's rhetoric is very confused, because his policy is confused.

Harpo keeps throwing money at Ukraine yet again and again, so another Ukraine Prez can embezzle Ukranians and live like a czar.
yet people think oh looky Harpo is helping Ukranians he has ba!!s to step up to Vlad....Harpo wants votes and making a name for himself on the international stage, up until now he was virtually unknown.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by jaberi:

Barack's rhetoric is very confused, because his policy is confused.

To keep our enemies off balance.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
That's what I wanted to ask, was the aircraft a Bear?
Interesting plane with its contra-rotating props, might be fun for a quick flight but that noise, and to hear it no-stop for hours at a time is damaging to your health.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to jaberi

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

quote:
"Two Russian Tupolev bombers got within 100 km of Canadian airspace in the Arctic"

Certainly not during the Cold War. People have short memories.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Sure, but it's typically Russia sending a signal when it does.

What signal is that - that russians are douche bags?
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by jaberi:

quote:

Certainly not during the Cold War. People have short memories.

I do remember this, so every time I see a big deal made out of Russian planes getting near, I'm like "OK, this is new how? Slow news day..."

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
They could send 100 bombers and no one would know what to do...........
Anav

Anav to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
already done.......
»www.telegraph.co.uk/news ··· ole.html
Anav

Anav to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
»www.themoscowtimes.com/b ··· 650.html

Lets see what Harper has accomplished......... besides a photo op.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

already done.......
»www.telegraph.co.uk/news ··· ole.html

That doesn't involve the Northwest Passage waters within Canada.

Russia and Canada meet at the north pole, there's no big surprise for the Russians to visit the pole.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

If they send 100 bombers (I assume you mean together) then the answer would be clear.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
PK. Not so sure on your analysis. The shoe is on the other foot now. Putin has resources and money and the US is bankrupt. Reverse reaganomics........

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Anav:

If they send 100 bombers (I assume you mean together) then the answer would be clear.

not only would they be picked up on sat/radar long in advance, they would likely get a few warnings/communications regarding their course...if they continued on and ignored warnings, they would be shot down...period...flying over a country with 100 bombers, has one likely intention...neither of us (Canada or USA) would call that bluff.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

PK. Not so sure on your analysis. The shoe is on the other foot now. Putin has resources and money and the US is bankrupt. Reverse reaganomics........

Russia's economy is in a shambles and is getting worse all the time. Foreign investment has declined sharply. Olympics were a major drain, as will be propping up Crimea.

By contrast, US stock market is at record high levels.

Russian military is underfunded, under-equipped, and undermanned.

Obviously Russia is still a formidable country.

But a lot of their current actions are the result of weakness, not strength.

Half of the reason for Putin's aggression abroad was his unpopularity at home. Now that he has beaten up his smaller neighbor he is popular again at home.