spc
Search similar:

uniqs

badsupport
@192.0.128.x

badsupport

Anon

TekSavvy is making me pay for the defective modem they sent to me

We are trying to connect dsl and teksavvy shipped a modem to us. And now they are saying I'm responsible for that modem and I have to order a new one. Unbelievably rude customer support to top it all off
badsupport

badsupport

Anon

a super nice technical supervisor clearly explained what everything was about.. And i'm only on the hook for a $25 dollar restocking fee (which is not as bad and only charged if modem is not actually defective)

I still don't think I should be responsible for $25 dollars if modem is even not defective since you guys can't tell me where the problem is and teksavvy should be responsible for making sure the products they ship out and service they promise is connected on their dime and not on the customer's shoulders.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to badsupport

Premium Member

to badsupport
Hi there,

The reason we have that restocking fee is that we are often faced with customer wanting to return their modems to us after purchasing them because their either got one given to them, changing providers that include one, etc... The cost is associated with us cleaning, testing and repackaging the equipment providing its in functioning order.

Now depending on the situation, there are times where we simply don't charge it, such as the service never worked or we had to move a customer to another technology.

Any who, glad things seem better based on your most recent conversation.

I'd like to investigate the rude associate you had spoken with. Can you please post in the direct with your account info and which agent was the one who was rude with you?

Thanks,

Andre

newTekusr1
@135.23.149.x

newTekusr1

Anon

said by TSI Andre:

Hi there,

The reason we have that restocking fee is that we are often faced with customer wanting to return their modems to us after purchasing them because their either got one given to them, changing providers that include one, etc... The cost is associated with us cleaning, testing and repackaging the equipment providing its in functioning order.

Now depending on the situation, there are times where we simply don't charge it, such as the service never worked or we had to move a customer to another technology.

Any who, glad things seem better based on your most recent conversation.

I'd like to investigate the rude associate you had spoken with. Can you please post in the direct with your account info and which agent was the one who was rude with you?

Thanks,

Andre

wow. "cleaning, testing and repackaging the equipment providing its in functioning order. "
And selling as Brand New to New customer. And also charging him for shipping and then asking him to colect from postal outlet. sounds LIKE Rogers OR Bell.
cha ching.

Azmodan012
join:2013-05-10
Chatham, ON

Azmodan012

No, they are sold as "Open Box" at a discounted price.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to newTekusr1

Premium Member

to newTekusr1
Nope. You assumed wrong. Open box.
kanatamike
join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON

kanatamike to newTekusr1

to newTekusr1
You only have to collect from a postal outlet if you're not home when they try to deliver. That's not Teksavvy's fault.
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n

Delivery man dropped the package on the floor?

I mean, there was a controversy of a fed-ex man throwing a tv over a fence when the client5 is already waiting outside.
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

1 edit

Webslinger to kanatamike

Premium Member

to kanatamike
said by kanatamike:

You only have to collect from a postal outlet if you're not home when they try to deliver. That's not Teksavvy's fault.

No. Everything Teksavvy ships as a parcel is marked "Card for Pickup", so no delivery attempt is made at all.

»www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc ··· empt.jsf

"We usually attempt to deliver all items directly to you, but in the following situations we leave a Delivery Notice Card instead:

If the item is marked as "card for pickup"
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred to badsupport

to badsupport
I actually like picking up things like this from the postal outlet because that means that they want to see ID and I get it, rather than my modem being left on the doorstep for the local kids to play soccer with.

brisk
@38.64.168.x

brisk

Anon

said by notfred:

I actually like picking up things like this from the postal outlet because that means that they want to see ID and I get it, rather than my modem being left on the doorstep for the local kids to play soccer with.

Many prefer not having to waste gas or more time after they've already paid for shipping, and a "do not safe drop" and/or signature required shipping option would ensure parcels aren't left at doorsteps. What Teksavvy does is to ensure no delivery attempt is made at all.
Expand your moderator at work
Aens
join:2012-11-09

Aens to notfred

to notfred

Re: TekSavvy is making me pay for the defective modem they sent to me

said by notfred:

It absolutely boggled my mind when a 3 grand parcel was left at my door when the shipment tracker didn't give any indication it was coming that day.

Yeah it sucks having to pick up a $150 item yourself from the local post office but it is certainly better than leaving electronics at your door step. It has happened with cell phones too that some of the big three ship out directly to your door. I can only imagine the game of he said/she said you'd have to play on the phone if someone jacked an on contract phone parcel.

newTekusr1
@135.23.149.x

newTekusr1

Anon

Simple solution. TS is lazy to choose option and if problem exists going to file insurance.
Receive so many packages, Cameras, Cell Phones. Only TS modem is to be picked up even after paying shipping charges.

We only make a safe drop if:

The item does not require a signature or collection of funds (duties, postage fees etc.).
A safe place exists that is sheltered from weather and cannot be seen by passers-by (e.g. inside a porch or storm door).
The sender has not requested "Do not safe drop".
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON

said by newTekusr1 :

Simple solution. TS is lazy to choose option and if problem exists going to file insurance.

Enough modems went missing to cause problems. The goal is providing Internet access so the more reliably a modem gets into the customer's hands the better.
Sketter
join:2010-10-18
Toronto, ON

Sketter to newTekusr1

to newTekusr1
I've had packages stolen from my front door.

I never want things left at my door, I rather pick it up.

Ian D Allen
If this were easy, everyone would do it.
Premium Member
join:2008-10-26
Ottawa, ON

Ian D Allen to badsupport

Premium Member

to badsupport
I have a similar problem: unable to return a defective modem for credit and buy one that works. Sagemcom 2864 modems don't properly handle DNS requests for unknown domains, but TekSavvy wouldn't let me return the defective product and buy one that works because it's out of warranty by a month. The problem is described here (from June):

»[DSL] Sagemcom 2864 DNS time-out on nonexistent domains

It took me a year to find the time to diagnose what the problem was; I always thought it was something misconfigured at my end. It never occurred to me that the modem was defective. I want to return this defective product for credit and buy a modem that works.
i_pk_pjers_i
join:2007-04-20
none

i_pk_pjers_i to Sketter

to Sketter
said by Sketter:

I've had packages stolen from my front door.

I never want things left at my door, I rather pick it up.

I would imagine it depends on where you live as to whether they would leave it. I ordered an NVIDIA GTX 980 from NCIX and chose Xpresspost shipping. I was on my way home when I noticed that the package was left on my porch, hidden quite well behind a post that my porch has. You would think that they wouldn't leave a $600 graphics card in a box on my porch, but it does happen. With that said, I'm not even mad because it saved me from having to pick it up. I live in a decent neighborhood in Whitby - not too rich or poor, and I trust my neighborhood, neighbors, and community not to steal anything left at my front door. I have ordered lots of things online and have had several things left at my front door - none of which have been stolen. Perhaps I wrote this comment partially to brag that I have a GTX 980, but my point still remains even if you don't want them to leave packages at your front door, they sometimes will anyways. If your package gets stolen, you can always take it up with the company who shipped it and they are technically responsible to re-ship it if it was stolen.

ftthuser
@206.248.149.x

ftthuser to Ian D Allen

Anon

to Ian D Allen
The easiest thing to do would be to manually assign the DNS servers on the modem. When DHCP clients connect they would then be assigned whatever DNS information you provided.

It's fairly straight forward to configure, just login to the Sagemcom and click on Internet (under Settings) and click on the DNS tab. Set it to manual and specify what ever DNS servers you would like to use. That should resolve the issues you've had.

Ian D Allen
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

Ian D Allen

Premium Member

No. Those DNS settings are not the DNS settings handed to clients via DHCP. They are the settings used by the DNS in the modem, and it is the DNS in the modem that is defective, not the clients selected. You cannot tell a Sagemcom 2864 to hand anything other than its own DNS server IP (usually 192.168.2.1) to clients, so you cannot work around the problem (unless you go to every client and manually over-ride the Sagemcom DNS with a working DNS, and even then you have to do this for every client, old and new, and keep fixing it every time the DHCP renews every client lease). No. I want to return this defective modem and get one that works.

ftthuser
@206.248.149.x

ftthuser

Anon

I stand corrected, I just tested it and it does not function in the way I thought it would. If your modem is out of warranty and can no longer be returned, why not just connect your own router and bridge the modem? I'm also not sure why you would need to keep fixing it, just assign a static IP address (or even just static DNS) for each device and leave it be. It should never change unless you change it.

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to Ian D Allen

to Ian D Allen
said by Ian D Allen:

I want to return this defective modem and get one that works.

I must be missing something. Domains that do not exist are not domains I tend to try and browse to.

Ian D Allen
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

Ian D Allen to ftthuser

Premium Member

to ftthuser
I've read that these modems don't bridge at full speed on 50/10 lines.

Yes, I have worked around the problem for my static machines. It doesn't solve the problem for new machines (e.g. guests) that use DHCP to get an address from the modem. I certainly don't want to edit their machine configs to work in my house; I want the modem to work properly.

ftthuser
@216.218.29.x

ftthuser

Anon

I'm not trying to question your reasoning that it doesn't do as expected but I'm having a hard time understanding the implications of the issue. Why would anyone need to do anything with non-existent domains? What problem does this cause for you?
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON to oceros37

to oceros37
said by oceros37:

I must be missing something. Domains that do not exist are not domains I tend to try and browse to.

Still the lookup should happen quickly and result in a NXDOMAIN result and not a timeout after 10's of seconds.

Bell users probably are not affected as NXDOMAIN results are hijacked by them so web users get redirected to ad laden search pages for the assumed mistyped domain.

Ian D Allen
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

Ian D Allen to ftthuser

Premium Member

to ftthuser
A modem non-reply to nonexistent domains caused two problems:

1. I run an ipv6 stack, so my browser would always query for the AAAA record first. My workplace didn't handle ipv6 queries properly, and the resulting failure caused a hang and time-out, at which point my browser tried the A record. Very slow.

2. I have a domain search list for unqualified domains. When I type in the domain "foo", the search list might try "foo.idallen.com", "foo.idallen.net" and "foo.idallen.ca". Each of the missing domains caused a DNS hang on the modem, requiring a time-out.

This (brand of) modem has been defective since the day I bought it; I just thought the problem was my problem, not the modem's problem. I want to return the defective modem and upgrade to a different brand that doesn't have this defect.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

we are often faced with customer wanting to return their modems to us after purchasing them because their either got one given to them, changing providers that include one, etc...

Exchanges should be free on defective items. I can understand charging a restocking fee on returned items for any of the above. I'm a little unclear with OP if he is wanting an exchange or he gave up and just wants to return the modem.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

And they are. I don't know either.
rhooper
join:2004-05-06
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

rhooper to Ian D Allen

to Ian D Allen
said by Ian D Allen:

I've read that these modems don't bridge at full speed on 50/10 lines.

When I last moved, I got to ditch the crappy rented Sagemcom (at the time you couldn't buy it), and now have a SmartRG, which is bridged. Teksavvy's IPV6 on DSL works beautifully with my PFSense box (on 2.1.x firmware). I routinely max 50/10 on it. (I also routinely max my 150/15 cable at the same time... downside to working from home and needing to get/push software images).
abcjak
join:2012-12-18

abcjak to badsupport

to badsupport
this is exactly why i get things locally when i can, and that's what i did when i needed a modem to switch to tsi.