»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 68074882

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or

Premium Member

Having LTE on often isnt worth the battery drain. How often do I need that kind of bandwidth over typical 4G?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I'm not saying you do but the technology sure has gotten better. It's useless as most people are capped or get throttled.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
jeebus, you aren't kidding...makes my home connection look like 1999.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to HiVolt

MVM

to HiVolt
im seeing similar numbers too...

Funny how the same guys on here are the early adopters

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to HiVolt

Mod

to HiVolt
I ran a speed test on Verizon with the 6 and got a 168 ping, 14.99/5.31 result and nearly pissed myself.

I never seen it that fast in Pittsburgh before by like a lot.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

2 recommendations

TheTechGuru

said by Mike:

I ran a speed test on Verizon with the 6 and got a 168 ping, 14.99/5.31 result and nearly pissed myself.

I never seen it that fast in Pittsburgh before by like a lot.

I get speeds like that and faster on my iPhone 5c on Sprint all the time.

I noticed the Sprint iPhone 6 is "Spark" compatible, can't wait to get one and see how much faster Spark is over regular Sprint LTE.

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Cody0 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Click for full size
It's pretty quick here in eastern WA on Verizon with the iPhone 6!

KrisAgopian
@107.161.181.x

KrisAgopian to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
Wow speed envy!
Thats crazy.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
No complaints here either..

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

what speed test app is this?

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to TheTechGuru

Mod

to TheTechGuru
You don't understand. Pittsburgh has always had shitty internet access.

Verizon 3G is like 500Kb/s downstream. Regular LTE was like 6. New stuff pretty much doubled the speed.

I'm okay with this.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

that's weird.

Pittsburgh is a pretty big city...at least, i think of it as one of the major US cities.

MAIZnBLUE
Premium Member
join:2004-01-15
Milan, MI

MAIZnBLUE to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
This is the best I have gotten thus far...

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 69367571
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Well at least for the next little while the killer app for 150Mb LTE will be running speed tests... Just like when 3G came out.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I'm not saying you do but the technology sure has gotten better. It's useless as most people are capped or get throttled.

My iPad is AT&T $30/mo. grandpa unlimited and not throttled or capped. It's my main device at home and I shut off the LTE as well. From 50/20 down to 5/1.
My iphone is grandpa unlimited and I shut off LTE to 5/1. Throttled down to about .08/.08 after 5gigs of use each month. Not capped. Streams fine even when throttled.

Unless there is something I don't know the higher speeds are still pretty useless to me. It cool to show off the speeds on here I guess but what is it a normal user do on the phone that benefit from the higher speeds other than paying higher prices each year?

RickNY
Premium Member
Bellport, NY

RickNY to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

what speed test app is this?

Speedtest.net in the app store

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

2 recommendations

djrobx to Majestik

Premium Member

to Majestik
said by Majestik:

Unless there is something I don't know the higher speeds are still pretty useless to me. It cool to show off the speeds on here I guess but what is it a normal user do on the phone that benefit from the higher speeds other than paying higher prices each year?

Consider that on a mobile device, you usually get some fraction of your highest speed due to signal quality or congestion. So when the highest speed goes up, the overall experience gets better, even if you don't ever really utilize the max speed.

In other words, the higher speeds means that you're that much more likely to be able to watch a youtube video without buffering in less than perfect conditions.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to HiVolt

to HiVolt
I tested VoLTE connection on my iP6+ today and goet a max of 14 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. That's pretty much double what I was getting on LTE beforehand. I'd LOVE to see this mythical 60 Mbps download speed but it ain't happening here in the land of Cleve.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx
In that case I don't need the higher speeds. Everything streams on half the speeds of 4G here with no buffering.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Not for everyone (this is in my wood and brick house 25 miles from NY)

did I do something wrong?

Tinkster
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster

Premium Member

Apparently your with Verizon which is your problem LOL. Have you tried outside of the home to see if its a major difference otherwise VZ is just not good in your area(for LTE at least).

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

said by Tinkster:

.... Have you tried outside of the home to see if its a major difference otherwise VZ is just not good in your area(for LTE at least).

1/2 mile from house (in car) 11.73/6.47/54 (down/up/ping)
8 miles from house 7.29/1.42/54

not great, huh?

Tinkster
Premium Member
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster

Premium Member

Not great not horrible either. Better than nothing.

RickNY
Premium Member
Bellport, NY

RickNY to Tinkster

Premium Member

to Tinkster
said by Tinkster:

Apparently your with Verizon which is your problem LOL. Have you tried outside of the home to see if its a major difference otherwise VZ is just not good in your area(for LTE at least).

I'm 50 miles east of NY on Verizon.. His problem is not "Verizon which is (his) problem" -- more likely an issue with the OP's signal strength and/or towers near his location not yet being turned on for XLTE.

To the OP -- you're showing just 1 bar of LTE service while running that test, so that is going to have an impact on speed. I had two bars and did a VoLTE call and ran the test and these were my results.

Keep in mind -- XLTE is *NOT* the same as VoLTE (although I do believe that towers that have been turned on for XLTE are also capable of VoLTE). To receive XLTE speeds - the cell site has to have been turned on for it, and requires no action on your part other than having an XLTE capable device. If you were connected to an XLTE enabled tower with an iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, or 6 plus (or any of the ~30 other XLTE capable devices on Verizon) -- you would have automatically been getting XLTE speeds with no action required on your part.

Now -- if you were connected only to LTE and tried to make a phone call, and during that phone call you weren't able to use data applications, then its one of two things: 1) the tower you are connecting to has not been turned on for VoLTE and/or 2) you didnt change your settings in Settings, Cellular, LTE to "Voice and Data"

Keep in mind VoLTE is not capable if you have ringback tones or subscribe to Cellular Caller ID with name -- they have to be removed from your account to enable VoLTE.

You may just have a combination of a weak signal and a tower that hasn't been turned on yet. I can tell you that not all towers in my area have been turned on yet -- just happens the ones near my home have been.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Here in Canada, the carriers initially released LTE On 2100mhz, that was limited to 75mbps... When they upgraded and simultaneously offer 2100/2600, if you have a phone capable of 2600 it will go a maximum of 150mbps. Other phones have supported 2600 for a while now, but the iPhone just played catch-up.

I don't know what the maximum speed is for the 700mhz LTE frequency that Verizon is using.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to The Dv8or

Premium Member

to The Dv8or
I have a 5c (provided by work.. personally can't stand it) and have my LTE on all the time, battery drain is minimal. If i don't play any heavy duty games (PvZ2) the battery will last 2 days.

Just tested the speed on Bell, about 30mb

Tinkster
Premium Member
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster to RickNY

Premium Member

to RickNY
said by RickNY:

I'm 50 miles east of NY on Verizon.. His problem is not "Verizon which is (his) problem" -- more likely an issue with the OP's signal strength and/or towers near his location not yet being turned on for XLTE.

How can you say his problem is not Verizon when it clearly is if Verizon did not turn the tower on in his area. Whom do you blame for his poor signal?

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Cody0 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Wwwoooooowwww for some reason when I first clicked the OP link I read that as a tens number not a hundreds number. Holy moly.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to HiVolt

to HiVolt
RickNY See Profile A good way to know if you're in a Verizon Wireless XLTE area is to go into field test mode and checking the serving cell info screen. Here you can see the frequency band indicator and download and upload bandwidth info. For Verizon Wireless customers, if the frequency band indicator is 4 and the download and upload bandwidths are 20 MHz, then it's an XLTE tower. I'd assume similar information could be found on other carrier networks if you know what frequencies and bandwidths to look for. To go into field test mode, enter *3001#12345#* on the dial pad and press call. To exit, simply press the home button.