dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ambitious159
join:2014-09-20

ambitious159

[Cable] How do I setup wireless router for personal usage?

Hi- I recently ditched Rogers and joined Teksavvy.

I am using Thomson Technicolor DCM476 modem (the one they tell you to use) and got an ASUS RT-12N d1. I successfully flashed Tomato by Shibby and learned how basic stuffs such as bandwidth limiting, bandwidth monitoring, etc. However, I do feel that I should get to know how QoS and all the other things I should know about router for personal use (for my 1 bedroom apartment that I am living in alone). Is there anywhere on the web that I can learn how these functions work? It's a little challenging for a newbie like me to follow... Thanks in advance!

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

If you're living alone, you shouldn't need QoS. QoS is used to ensure a minimum Quality of Service for various internet traffic, for example if you are downloading a file or streaming video, to ensure it doesn't saturate your connection so much that is slows or drowns out VoIP traffic. »chillingsilence.wordpres ··· -tomato/
»www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· l.68795/

You can set up your router with a free DDNS service and then sign up for a free line monitor on this site. »Line Monitoring - then you get cool graphs and data like this: »/testh ··· ?view=60

Under Administration > Admin Access, you can select an alternate skin. I use bluedream which has a slimmer header, so everything fits on the screen without scrolling all the time.

You can setup a guest wireless network so friends can use your internet - but not access your network shares. »somethingk.com/main/?p=323

You can use the Wireless Survey under Tools to see what the best wireless channel to use might be.

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON

Fraoch to ambitious159

to ambitious159
Good forums to learn about this:

»Wireless Networking (yep, a subforum right here)

»forums.smallnetbuilder.com/