spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kn00tcn
zero-zero
join:2006-04-19
Canada

kn00tcn

[Cable] procedure to add TSi to active rogers tv+hph line (OR replace it)?

i believe the current rogers modem that's being used is NOT supported by TS, so i'm wondering how this is going to work, what kind of time frame, how many tech visits, etc

it's an apartment, not a house, so i have no idea where the cable wiring comes from (for when techs put filters to block unused services)

1: what happens after the order gets placed on teksavvy?

2: i can buy from TS or choose an approved modem... but doesnt it also have to be approved or set up by rogers for the phone/tv? (i havent tried connecting directly to the modem yet to see what's on it, maybe some SIP settings? line stats?)

*OR*

3: how do i cancel rogers tv+phone then add teksavvy internet, is it safest to disable everything on the rogers end THEN have the TS service start/tech visit date? or is there any benefit to having the line stay active? (or should i have TS working then cancel rogers, noting to them that there is an active third party?)

as an aside, does docsis3 need new coax wiring within apartment units or it's more on the isp side? assuming the modem being used is also docsis3 of course...
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain

said by kn00tcn:

i believe the current rogers modem that's being used is NOT supported by TS, so i'm wondering how this is going to work, what kind of time frame, how many tech visits, etc

it's an apartment, not a house, so i have no idea where the cable wiring comes from (for when techs put filters to block unused services)

1: what happens after the order gets placed on teksavvy?

2: i can buy from TS or choose an approved modem... but doesnt it also have to be approved or set up by rogers for the phone/tv? (i havent tried connecting directly to the modem yet to see what's on it, maybe some SIP settings? line stats?)

*OR*

3: how do i cancel rogers tv+phone then add teksavvy internet, is it safest to disable everything on the rogers end THEN have the TS service start/tech visit date? or is there any benefit to having the line stay active? (or should i have TS working then cancel rogers, noting to them that there is an active third party?)

as an aside, does docsis3 need new coax wiring within apartment units or it's more on the isp side? assuming the modem being used is also docsis3 of course...

Do you already have Rogers Internet at home? If that's the case, I believe you can cancel your Rogers Internet for a future date and then ask TekSavvy to transfer your existing cable Internet service from Rogers over to them. You're correct that you'll need a new modem, but you'll just have to connect the coaxial cable to the new modem on the transfer date that TekSavvy gives you. No technician visit is required.

If you do not have Internet with Rogers, you will need a Rogers technician to install the service even if you have other services with Rogers at home. The technician should be able to ensure that both your TekSavvy cable modem and your Rogers TV and phone hardware are getting the signal that they need. Regardless of whether or not you need a cable technician to install the service, I believe that the activation fee is the same, but someone from TekSavvy can confirm that.

Upgrading from a DOCSIS 2 to a DOCSIS 3 modem does not require a technician visit. The differences are with the modem and with the cable plant rather than with any of the cabling in and around your home.

If you switch your Internet to TekSavvy and disconnect your other cable services with Rogers after having done so then assuming Rogers does their job correctly, your Internet will not be disconnected.