Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

1 edit

Madtown

Premium Member

[Equip] Good wireless router for Blast?

»www.amazon.com/RT-N66W-D ··· ?ie=UTF8

I would like to know if this is a good wireless router to achieve 105 mbps on WiFi?

Also if anyone has any suggestions on what router to buy, feel free to post them here.

OT: Is it true that external antennas are better than internal antennas on wireless routers? Of all the wireless routers I had, I only had internal.

Mod Edit to change "Group" from WiFi to Equip: The WiFi category refers to Xfinity Hotspot WiFI & related. ~Sunny See Profile

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

2 recommendations

Coelispex

Re: [WiFi] Good wireless router for Blast?

I got a T-Mobile variant (TM-AC1900) basically an $200 ASUS RT-AC68U for free. Got it 2 days ago. They waived a $25 deposit (offered until 9/25) and got a free shipping from them.

Highly recommended. NETGEAR Nighthawk is also another great choice.
T-Mobile's WiFi calling + Comcast IPv6 = Win/Win

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

»www.amazon.com/RT-N66W-D ··· ?ie=UTF8

I would like to know if this is a good wireless router to achieve 105 mbps on WiFi?

Also if anyone has any suggestions on what router to buy, feel free to post them here.

OT: Is it true that external antennas are better than internal antennas on wireless routers? Of all the wireless routers I had, I only had internal.

The first question, how much DO YOU want to actually spend? Do you think you would cut back on cost to get something not top end?
Do you have any AC devices? Are they upgradable by getting AC adapters(laptops, etc)? Are you including the price of adapters in your budget?

If you find the RT-AC68U T-mobile version, I would go with that automatically. As I was typing, I see someone mentioned it. It's $99 if you don't have T-mobile or have prepaid.

It's currently not available(OOS) as far as I can see for non postpaid customers. So you may have to look in another direction.

With the antenna question. It sort of depends. Some internal systems could probably beat external. The thing with external is that you can adjust them. Internals could be primarily focused on covering one floor and if you're living in a multi floor house, you'll lose out.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

1 recommendation

Wayne99021 to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
I have a Netgear R7000 AC router and really like it.
The reach and wireless speed is great. I watch 3D moves on Netflix on my smart TV 44 feet from the router through 3 walls one with cabinets and never a flicker. It does have 3 external adjustable antennas.
It did have problems with IPV6, but Netgear did some firmware updates that fixed that problem.
I understand that the Asus AC routers are also very good too.
I am on the 105/20 tier and my last speed test was 124.86 down and 24.33 up so it will be OK for the tier you will be getting.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

I don't have any AC devices.

I have a HP Laptop Window 8.1 and it's Wireless N, Xbox 360 and a Moto G from Cricket.

I am planning on buying a PS4.

I want to spend less than $150

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

I have a HP Laptop Window 8.1 and it's Wireless N, Xbox 360 and a Moto G from Cricket.

What do you care about hitting 105+ Mbps on? Just the laptop then? Since the others won't be able to no matter how hard you try on wireless as far as I know.

Also, are you going to be on multiple floors? If so, how many?
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

said by Madtown:

What do you care about hitting 105+ Mbps on? Just the laptop then? Since the others won't be able to no matter how hard you try on wireless as far as I know.

Just the laptop.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

said by Darknessfall:

said by Madtown:

Just the laptop.

You don't have T-Mobile, do you? As mentioned above?
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

No I don't have T-Mobile, I have Cricket Wireless.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

said by Darknessfall:

Oh, opps lol. I just forgot you mentioned that.

How many floors will you be using the laptop on? I asked it above, but it was an edit so you didn't see it.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

said by Madtown:

said by Darknessfall:

Oh, opps lol. I just forgot you mentioned that.

How many floors will you be using the laptop on? I asked it above, but it was an edit so you didn't see it.

I live in a one story apartment.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

I live in a one story apartment.

Maybe try what I suggested in the other guy's thread? It should work out for you too.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· orebbr=1

Then purchase
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· orebbr=1

I would look out for the T-Mobile router if it comes back in stock for online orders for non postpaid though if you can find it.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

The 1st link, do I hook that up to my cable modem just like my current wireless router. I ask because that does not look like a wireless router, and how big is that?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

The 1st link, do I hook that up to my cable modem just like my current wireless router. I ask because that does not look like a wireless router, and how big is that?

Yes, you just hook it up. It's a router.

It's around this sort of size perspective of this D-link photo:

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Devious to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· rts/view

Will show you prices and how the router ranked compared to others in the same class.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

said by Madtown:

Not bad. A baby can particularly hold that. I thought it was real big. IDKY I thought that.

I tried looking for it on Amazon, but couldn't find it, does Amazon has it too?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

said by Darknessfall:

said by Madtown:

Not bad. A baby can particularly hold that. I thought it was real big. IDKY I thought that.

I tried looking for it on Amazon, but couldn't find it, does Amazon has it too?

»www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCI ··· 0CN8BO8E

It costs $10 more on Amazon.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to Coelispex

Premium Member

to Coelispex
said by Coelispex:

I got a T-Mobile variant (TM-AC1900) basically an $200 ASUS RT-AC68U for free. Got it 2 days ago. They waived a $25 deposit (offered until 9/25) and got a free shipping from them.

Glad someone else in IL has gotten it too I got mine the day it dropped at T-Mobile for free

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to Coelispex

to Coelispex
wow, kind of a steal at T-mobile on that Asus

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by train_wreck:

Yeah, I'm still trying to keep myself from getting it once it comes back in stock for $99 since I don't have T-Mobile postpaid.

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

said by train_wreck:

Yeah, I'm still trying to keep myself from getting it once it comes back in stock for $99 since I don't have T-Mobile postpaid.

I needed a new router, Since mine was currently dying. This new one is awesome
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to iNick

to iNick
said by iNick:

said by Coelispex:

Glad someone else in IL has gotten it too I got mine the day it dropped at T-Mobile for free

Got mine too. No $25 and free ship. What a sweet deal.

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

said by iNick:

said by Coelispex:

Got mine too. No $25 and free ship. What a sweet deal.

That's awesome! I went there Wednesday to be told, they got a memo that's said we can't sell until the 24th... Which is the day they start charging the $25 for it. So I called a few stores and I found one in Lockport, IL who didn't read the memo and gave me it no question's ask.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Hah, that's funny. I'm still waiting on mine to get here. Should be tomorrow.

67845017 (banned)

I just got notified that I'm backordered. Still free, but backordered. Crud.

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

I just got notified that I'm backordered. Still free, but backordered. Crud.

I mean free is free right? maybe they can switch the shipping address to your local T-Mobile Store and just switch they take the one you have coming and you take the one in the store?
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Free is free, and since I'm really not in a rush I'll let it get here when it does. They said 5-7 days to send, which isn't too bad if that's true.

67845017 (banned)

Well, they overnighted it yesterday and I'll get it today. T-Mobile is really a fantastic company.

67845017 (banned) to Madtown

to Madtown
The router is so much better in terms of signal strength and speed than my older Asus N routers that I've taken all the N ones out. I used to have three routers to get a decent signal everywhere--one on each level of the house including the basement. This one reaches everywhere that I tried. And not including basement, the house is 3700 sf. The 2.4 GHz signal touches corner to corner on the main level and is almost as strong in the finished parts of the basement. The 5 GHz band isn't as strong by its very definition, but it's still very good.

The best $00.00 I've ever spent.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

»www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCI ··· 0CN8BO8E

Well it has came down in price. I can't wait to get the money to buy this router so I can finally achieve 105 mbps over WiFi.