spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mudiver
join:2011-07-26
Austin, TX

Mudiver

Where to post my ?

I would like to dump the Verizon Router and replace it with my old Netgear WNDR3700 router which I had just flashed with dd-wrt firmware but when Verizon showed up they said I had to use their equipment. This was two years ago, but today I went out to the ONT and plugged it in and was surprised when I looked at my phone and saw I was connected to the internet.

I paid 200 for the install but I don't own the service anymore , all I ever wanted was internet but it came with TV and telephone. I have a fios cable tv recorder right here but its not even plugged in. I use my PC, Hulu and Chromecast and Utorrent, plus WIFI for my cell. I have a TV antenna which gives me a much better picture if I want something local.

My internet speed is only 15 Mbs and I need my old router so I can bypass Verizon to get a faster broadband. Where are the old DSLreport guys that might give me a bit of help with this. I don't want to ask Verizon the time of day, like I said I just need the a faster internet, and a router that works without up charges, and one that allows for my privacy, second I just hate Verizon caused they have screwed me so badly in the past.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

The Verizon Actiontec router is perfectly capable of handling 15Mbps service. A different router won't go any faster. If you got your router prior to April of 2014, then you shouldn't be paying a rental fee for it.

A non-Verizon router can provide better WiFi than 802.11n 130Mbps, offer different network configuration and security options and more. It that's what you want, then go for it.

If the only FiOS service you have is internet, then it is easy to use a non-Verizon router. You'll need your ONT provisioned for Ethernet, then you can plug in any router you want. If your ONT is currently provisioned for MoCA, you'll need to contact Verizon to make the switch. Folks report that it's an easy phone call.

If you have TV service and going to keep it and use it, then the network configurations get a bit more complicated.

If you use your own router Verizon will not provide any support. For that reason, you should keep the Verizon router around in case you ever have a support issue.

The following FAQ will help you understand your options:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Enjoy.

Mudiver
Austin, TX

Mudiver

Thanks I read that and I am only looking for one tradeoff and that is to drop kick that verizon router
Mudiver

Mudiver to gs0b

to gs0b
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 77334995
Mudiver

Mudiver to gs0b

to gs0b
capable of handling 15Mbps service. A different router won't go any faster simply not true.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to Mudiver

Premium Member

to Mudiver
OK. Why is the carrier in the speed test labeled as Choopa LLC and not Verizon? Verizon is symmetrical speeds, or so I thought.

Mudiver
Austin, TX

2 edits

Mudiver

my internet is encrypted and they can not throttle what they don't see thats the long and short of it . Its not the same speed up and down here are where ever they think I am. I sure the hell ain't in Austin either lol sorry. You don't work for Verizon do you, I don't want to be talking to them because they freak out on me sometimes. I want to be far away from Verion folk. Where should I go to post question then.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

If the service is provisioned for 15Mbps, you can't got faster than that regardless of the router.

Thus, I'm a bit confused by your 99Mbps speed test result. That can't be from a line provisioned for 15Mbps.

If you're doing some compression between you and the speed test server, I could see how you can get faster than line rate results. But at that point, you're not testing the actual line rate.

We readers can only comment on the information you choose to share about your system. If you leave out important details, then you can expect to get answers that don't make sense to you.

Enjoy.

JoeyD
@108.34.219.x

JoeyD to Mudiver

Anon

to Mudiver
Some questions:
How is the Verizon router hooked up at this time?
What's the model number of the fios cable tv recorder? Does it work if you plug it in?
What do you mean you don't own the service anymore?
Do you currently have a paid service? If you hooked up your router and you have an internet connection, that surprises me.
You want "a router that works without up charges". What do you mean by that?
If Verizon has screwed you so badly in the past, does that mean you want service again? Hey, there's no guarantees about screwing or not, it depends on the luck of the draw or so it seems.

No, I don't work for Verizon and I don't know anyone there by name, and I don't have problems answering your questions. But I need to know more to give you a straight answer.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to Mudiver

Premium Member

to Mudiver
gs0b is correct, we normally deal with more detailed information in order to make good faith efforts to help diagnose problems. Why encrypt speed tests? No, I cannot say that the encryption would definitely affect the results, but I have never seen a poster use encrypted tests.

You may be getting a false result that is the result of two servers talking to each other. I get this sometimes at my work site. Because of the way our network is set up, we do not always get actual results to our individual workstations, we sometimes get results that show the speed to one of the server networks we use. I am physically in Georgia, but the speed tests will sometimes show me somewhere in Florida or Alabama. Those results are much faster than what we really get. Your attempts to hide your use of the World Wide Web might be creating a similar effect.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to Mudiver

Premium Member

to Mudiver
There are only two ways to ditch the Actiontec.

Run Ethernet to ONT.
Plug one end into your Netgear, the other into ONT.
Clone the Actiontec's MAC address and power off the Actiontec.
Call Verizon to switch from MOCA to Ethernet.
Profit.

Alternatively you might be able to find a MOCA-WAN capable MOCA Adapter. You can plug your coax and ethernet into it. There are not very many that are WAN capable though. See FAQ.

Either way, be prepared for Verizon to refuse support if you call in with any technical issues. You're on your own for troubleshooting when it goes down.

BTW, I have 50/50, running through the Actiontec just fine.