spc
Search similar:

uniqs

fifreak
join:2002-06-27
New York, NY

fifreak

1080p cable box output and new box

I called support today to ask if they have HD DVRS that output 1080p.  They said yes and scheduled an appointment for box swapout.  I tried to find info online if TWC supports 1080p output on boxes and cant find anything so I find what the tech said to be suspect.  Does anyone know if newer boxes output at 1080p?  Also in general, is there amny benefit for me to swap out my SA Explorer 8300HDC with whatever the newest box is?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by fifreak:

Also in general, is there amny benefit for me to swap out my SA Explorer 8300HDC with whatever the newest box is?

You may get a bigger hard drive. As for 1080p there is no programming that supports that so obviously pointless.

Hob

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to fifreak

Premium Member

to fifreak
Just ask for the cisco 8742 if in cisco market

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

And if a Motorola/Arris Market?

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

1 recommendation

OpTiC

Premium Member

A Motorola DCX 3510M I actually use in my house .

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

As for 1080p there is no programming that supports that so obviously pointless.

Yeah, I was gonna say I didn't think any channels broadcasted in 1080p. Maybe some movies on demand could be in 1080p since Blu-ray supports it?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Suit Up:

Maybe some movies on demand could be in 1080p since Blu-ray supports it?

Not to my knowledge.

Hob

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by fifreak:

Also in general, is there amny benefit for me to swap out my SA Explorer 8300HDC with whatever the newest box is?

You may get a bigger hard drive. As for 1080p there is no programming that supports that so obviously pointless.

Hob

Wait, none of the on-demand stuff at TWC is 1080p? I know regular broadcast channels are always 1080i maximum, but DirecTV has quite a collection of 1080p movies in their on-demand selection. (and their boxes do output 1080p, it shows 1080p on the front display when you play a 1080p movie).

I would have expected cable operators to match that a long time ago. I mean, DirecTV started 1080p on demand about 3 or 4 years ago already.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

A Motorola DCX 3510M I actually use in my house .

Ditto.
antdude

antdude to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
said by maartena:

said by hobgoblin:

said by fifreak:

Hob

Wait, none of the on-demand stuff at TWC is 1080p? I know regular broadcast channels are always 1080i maximum, but DirecTV has quite a collection of 1080p movies in their on-demand selection. (and their boxes do output 1080p, it shows 1080p on the front display when you play a 1080p movie).

I would have expected cable operators to match that a long time ago. I mean, DirecTV started 1080p on demand about 3 or 4 years ago already.

I don't think any cable companies does 1080p yet? I read that DirecTV have superior DVRs over cables'. :/

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to maartena

MVM

to maartena
Almost everywhere you go, everything is still 1080i or less. Check to see if your Cable box flips to 1080p the next time you view On-Demand.

DirecTV has 1080p On-Demand, but it requires you have decent Internet. That is delivered over IP. I've not seen anything delivered at 1080p over satellite.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
said by maartena:

Match what? Direct TV are delivering their 1080p content over the internet, they are not delivering it over their satellite.

Hob

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to fifreak

Premium Member

to fifreak
None of the TV providers except for direct has 1080p. Direct TV only has 1080p on demand depending on the show you're watching.
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
u are misinformed and u keep trying to defend twc u must be an employee of that discusting place

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by 91862239:

u are misinformed and u keep trying to defend twc u must be an employee of that discusting place

Please enlighten myself and the other members what misinformation I have posted?

I would appreciate the discution.

Hob

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by maartena:

Match what? Direct TV are delivering their 1080p content over the internet, they are not delivering it over their satellite.

Hob

Wrong. They deliver pay per view over satellite in 1080p as well. There are some 80+ channels between 101 and 200 that play 1080p pay per view over satellite.

Consider yourself enlightened

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by maartena:

Consider yourself enlightened

Well we live and learn, thanks. What actual difference will the end user see on this on demand content compared with a 1080i version?

Hob

NYC33
@66.249.83.x

1 recommendation

NYC33

Anon

What's the difference between 1080p and 1080i?
Extra Options
The difference lies in how the display lines are scanned. While both resolution standards display 1080 vertical lines, with 1080i the lines are "interlaced" - meaning the odd-numbered lines are painted on the screen first followed by the even-numbered lines. With 1080p, the lines are displayed consecutively in a single pass, as opposed to the odd-numbered lines alternating with the even-numbered lines.
1080p delivers a picture that's
smoother and cleaner. In fact, no HDTV standard surpasses 1080p in terms of picture quality. Furthermore, DIRECTV broadcasts in a 1080p format called 1080p24, which is optimal for movies, to give you a cinematic experience in the comfort of your living room.

There you have it.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Sounds like great marketing language.
But thanks.

You have a link to that cut and paste?

Hob
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts

said by hobgoblin:

But thanks.

Hob

»support.directv.com/app/ ··· 1080i%3F

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

But thanks.

Hob

It's well know common knowledge. Definitely a difference on large screens between 1080i and 1080p. You can differentiate them on my 65 plasma..

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by chamberc:

It's well know common knowledge. Definitely a difference on large screens between 1080i and 1080p. You can differentiate them on my 65 plasma..

Thanks. Any actual channels broadcasted in 1080p?

Hob

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by hobgoblin:

said by chamberc:

Hob

No, and probably not going to happen. 4k is going to be the next standard. The FIFA World Cup this year had several games broadcasted in 4k, and the Sochi Olympics tested several events in 4k. The 2016 Summer Olympics is set to be broadcasted in 4k completely.

As far as "4k readiness" goes, according to a recent news report DirecTV will be ready to broadcast in 4k in 2015. Two new satellites are being launched in early and late 2015 to give them the capacity.

Just as HD way back, it will probably start with a few "special" channels (similar to Discovery HD Theater back in the day), probably with a bunch of specialty Olympic channels in 2016. It also sort of depends on how TV stations will start to pick it up. Most studios have been filming in 4k for several years already, so the content is there.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Do I need a curved TV for this? I thought that was the next best thing.

Hob

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Meh... that's all to your preference. I can't say I have experience with either 4k TV's or curved ones.

But they are coming down in price a bit. I'll stick with my 1080 TV for quite a while longer, no real need to buy 4k TV if there is barely any content for it. And there really won't be till 2016 or so.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Curved TVs are like 3D TVs. A passing fad.

4K on the other hand is great for those 60+ inch screens.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Indeed they are. PPV movies rated at 1080p are indeed delivered via satellite.
ke4pym

ke4pym to Suit Up

Premium Member

to Suit Up
said by Suit Up:

said by hobgoblin:

Curved TVs are like 3D TVs. A passing fad.

4K on the other hand is great for those 60+ inch screens.

I would say 4k is a passing fad as well in the average home. We may very well see displays come by default as 4k enabled as manufacturing technology advances and TV companies having a desire to sell, sell, sell, sell the latest and greatest thing. Content? It's going to be restricted to special use cases and perhaps pre-recorded content via BluRay or Netflix on special occasions.

The typical home will have no use for 4k as their eyes will be unable to perceive the changes.

Theaters and wealthy home theater owners? Yeah, they're going to drive 4 and 8k and get the most benefit from it.

fifreak
join:2002-06-27
New York, NY

fifreak to OpTiC

to OpTiC
Am in NYC / Brooklyn area. What should I ask for? Is there any way to make a specific box request ahead of time?

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by chamberc:

It's well known common knowledge. Definitely a difference on large screens between 1080i and 1080p. You can differentiate them on my 65 plasma..

Hob

I have no idea, I'm commenting on the visual differences between 1080i and 1080p. The only 1080p source material I have is Blu Ray and my chromecasts. The other factors, comparatively to my TWC channels, of course are compression and bitrate.

PQ is a big deal to me, thus why I dropped DirectTV so long ago. DirectTV PQ is far below that of TWC, but not because of resolution, but rather because of bitrate.