Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

JJV to Tyler

Premium Member

to Tyler

Re: [Equip] name that device

They share access with other providers.

CableWiFi® is a wireless network name created through a collaboration of U.S. Internet Service Providers including Bright House Networks, Cablevision, Comcast, Cox Communications and Time Warner Cable. It gives our Internet customers access to a collective nationwide network of over 250,000 WiFi hotspots.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Tyler

MVM

to Tyler
said by Tyler:

This could be offtopic, but why would Comcast's hotspot locator show hotspots in a non-serviced area and it shows them as called "CableWiFi"

"CableWiFi" is a collaboration among Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Bright House Networks and Cox to allow their HSI subscribers access to each others Wi-Fi networks: »www.cablewifi.com/

EDIT: I see that JJV See Profile beat me to it!

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

I'd say it's because it's now Washington's gateway to refreshment!

Ah, yes. The town and county have really been pushing the vinyard + brewery + distillery industry here. Its replaced the farming that died out in the 90's.

So that would explain why Comcast did it so early - did not think that could be the reason but I guess getting ready for future tourism was a good trigger.

RE Cablewifi - Comcast's access points in VA have 3 SSID's - xfinitywifi, coxwifi, CableWifi.
Coxwifi as the other big Cable MSO in VA is Cox.
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

rendrenner to Tyler

to Tyler
said by Tyler:

This could be offtopic, but why would Comcast's hotspot locator show hotspots in a non-serviced area and it shows them as called "CableWiFi"

The CableWiFi is a partnership with other cable companies. Xfinity user credentials will work on a cableWifi AP.

As far as the outdoor AP's Comcast is installing, how soon do you think there will be Wifi calling added through an app from Comcast?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by rendrenner:

As far as the outdoor AP's Comcast is installing, how soon do you think there will be Wifi calling added through an app from Comcast?

IDK, but Comcast is apparently working on that now:

Comcast reportedly considering Wi-Fi mobile phone service
By Chris Welch, The Verge - April 8, 2014
»www.theverge.com/2014/4/ ··· -service

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Comcast already has wifi calling through the xfinity connect app, but you need CDV. Each secondary email on the Comcast account gets its own phone number, the primary email uses the CDV number.
The app works great - good voice quality and it can work over a 3g connection.

This new plan looks like a way to combine it with a cellular service and sell it as a package. Interesting.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to bradyr

MVM

to bradyr
said by bradyr:

is the backhaul on all the ones you've been installing just coax or are they able to use fiber as a backhaul? if the AP has a built in cable modem, i would think the access point would have limited bandwidth available and would choke out after only a few users were connected

(this is with me not knowing how much bandwidth is given per user, i would hope at least 10-20Mbps down/up to make it compete with LTE).

you'd want at least a gigabit (full duplex) backhaul from each 802.11n access point if you want it to be future and growth proof at all.

said by Darknessfall:

I don't know about the outdoor hotspots, but I know the home gateways give 16/2 Mbps speeds out. I would assume that the speed is shared and not for each user.

said by Cable Employ:

It is a "standard" cable modem in each one with a WIFI antenna. I don't remember the provisioned speed for each one, but they said they can handle 25 users at a time without any problems on the speed. They just get connected to an open tap port like your house would be with an RG-11 jumper, and then powered from the coax plant.

While I was in town this evening, I ran some speed tests on the public xfinitywifi hotspot there (»Re: [WiFi] Comcast's Public Outdoor Hotspots ) using my smartphone, and the best result of the three tests that I ran showed speeds of 24.8 Mbps down and 5.9 Mbps up.