uniqs

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

[iPad] Upgrading iPad Mini to iOS 8

Sooooo, I tried to do at the title suggests.

Problem is, I am running Yosemite. It's not perfect. Whatever the case, as the iPad is being upgraded (and when it goes into DFU), the iTunes app crashes. It won't recover UNLESS iPad unplugged. Plugging in iPad renders the iTunes to crash.

So, all I am saying is this, if you really want to upgrade your iPad, and you don't have the 5 GB of free space needed for the upgrade, WAIT. If you are running Yosemite, the upgrade can't be done successfully.

I did restore on my MacMini, only all the data was gone. It was backed-up to the cloud, but forever reason, the cloud got deleted in the process.

So, just be careful.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Wife tried upgrading a iPhone 5 and her iPad (ver2??) to iOS 8 yesterday. Felt like the good old days of using XP! What a nightmare (extremely slow, a few resets to start over, etc.) Wish that there was a roll back option.
She's upgradable in 4 weeks, so there's no question she'll need to get a newer phone.

IMHO, iOS 8 should only be used if you have the latest (or close to it) version of each product.
Caveat updator

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to AppleGuy

MVM,

to AppleGuy
Just upgraded my iPad mini using Yosemite. No issues.

iOS 8 runs somewhat smoother on my iPad mini (which isn't much different than an iPad 2) than iOS 7 so far, so YMMV.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to haroldo

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

Wife tried upgrading a iPhone 5 and her iPad (ver2??) to iOS 8 yesterday. Felt like the good old days of using XP! What a nightmare (extremely slow, a few resets to start over, etc.) Wish that there was a roll back option.
She's upgradable in 4 weeks, so there's no question she'll need to get a newer phone.

IMHO, iOS 8 should only be used if you have the latest (or close to it) version of each product.
Caveat updator

I upgraded my iP5 (not S or C) to iOS 8 with no problems whatsoever, and it works fine, too. Not sure what the problem was with her install?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
My iPhone 5 has been fine since the update; the only oddity I've noticed is that some apps' notifications aren't showing up as set (Mailbox, for one) and others don't show up until I've opened up the app once.

Yahoo! Weather is a little chopping when slidingfrom location to location so I would consider that an app issue; other than that, no issues to report.

TrishM
inamood
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Brampton

TrishM to neuronbob

Premium Member

to neuronbob
said by neuronbob:

I upgraded my iP5 (not S or C) to iOS 8 with no problems whatsoever, and it works fine, too. Not sure what the problem was with her install?

Mine as well. Also updated my ipad mini just through wifi/cloud and no issues.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Just upgraded my iPad mini using Yosemite. No issues.

iOS 8 runs somewhat smoother on my iPad mini (which isn't much different than an iPad 2) than iOS 7 so far, so YMMV.

Yep, me too. Upgraded my iPhone 5s to iOS 8 (and then replaced it with the 6+ 3 days later), and my iPad Air as well. All from Yosemite. All no problem.