All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

[Signals] Does this look good after Single Booster splitter installed???

Click for full size
Signal Status
Okay so like my SURFboard SB6121 kept on cutting in and out daily. So the tech replaced the standard 3 way splitter with a signal booster splitter. Now my cable modem doesn't cut in and out anymore. are those signal readings levels at the correct levels they should be???

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

4 edits

MDA

Premium Member

Downstream is fine, but those last two upstream channels are off spec from the first two and borderline for a 3/4 upstream bonding configuration.

What is the signal booster rated down to in terms of frequency? Because it looks like it's having trouble under 30mHz or so.

T4 timeout means it also is trying to register with that channel, but is
having no luck. If all were t4 timing out, then you would probably see reboots again.

This might be an issue further upstream if it's not the signal booster, but again check/retighten all connections and see if it helps. I'm guessing once you pull the signal booster, are both upstream and downstream way off?

Tech was probably like "ok... I got his downstream to where it should be. He's got two upstream channels so that should be plenty. To heck with those other two (Or he didn't check after installing it) upstream channels". More channels, means more stable throughput at peak times so I would try to get this fixed if I were you. (Tech call or trying another amplifier + New splitters)
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

He first checked the 1) signal from the non powered 3-way splitter, 2) Checked the signal on the box that sits near my mobile home. He couldn't find the problem. He did tell me that he had other folks in my area have the same problem in my area so he went a head and installed the signal booster checked the level and said they were all great and now my modem is working fine. In my bedroom I use a Regal DS2DGH10 to split the outlet for my HDTV and modem. From what your saying I should be worried.
floydb1982

floydb1982 to MDA

to MDA
Click for full size
Signal status with new installed splitter.
I had a unused unopened 3-way Aneronix CMC2003H splitter that had been on the shelf in my back closet I came across while digging around my closet. I replaced the 2-way Regal DS2DGH10 with this 3-way and if I am reading this correctly my signal levels are looking a whole lot better than they were before.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by floydb1982:

I had a unused unopened 3-way Aneronix CMC2003H splitter that had been on the shelf in my back closet I came across while digging around my closet. I replaced the 2-way Regal DS2DGH10 with this 3-way and if I am reading this correctly my signal levels are looking a whole lot better than they were before.

Yes, all your signal levels look good now.

From the new readings, I'll assume that you (properly) placed the modem on the one "-3.5dB" port of that splitter.

The Regal is a good quality splitter, like the Antronix, so either that Regal had (or developed) a bad low end (below 30 Hz) response, or sometimes even just breaking/remaking long-time connections can fix low frequency issues, but in any case, it worked.