join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

1 edit

ekster

Premium Member

Wasteland 2 is Officially Out

»store.steampowered.com/a ··· /240760/

And I love it.

Played it for some time prior to the official release and got in a little bit in after the official release and the huge update.

The gameplay stayed true to the original Wasteland and is pretty similar to the old Fallout (1&2).

The game can become easily unforgiving if you are not careful with your equipment and supplies. Ammo is scarce, so you cannot just shoot everything all the time. Got to make sure that you're close enough with that gun, or far enough with the sniper, or have enough enemies in the firing area of a shotgun before taking a shot, otherwise you'll run out of ammo quick. The dialogue and story that I've seen so far has been excellent.

The game is definitely not for everyone, but if you've enjoyed the old Wasteland and Fallout games, you'll definitely enjoy this one. It's a modern version of all the goodies of the traditional games.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

I'm on the fence about this, mostly because I haven't played the old Wasteland, or the old Fallouts. (despite owning them)

How steep is the learning curve, regarding movement, commands and all that, if you're basically used to an FPS control scheme?

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by El Quintron:

...because I haven't played the old Wasteland, or the old Fallouts. (despite owning them)

What the fuck is wrong with you? Fallout & Fallout 2 are two of the greatest games to ever be made and Wasteland is the Grandfather of them all.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
There is practically no learning curve.

There are just the traditional stats called CLASSIC (Coordination, Luck, Awareness, Strength, Speed, Intelligence, Charisma) that are all easily explained with mouse-over.

And there there is a bunch of abilities like in other RPG games that are also easily explained.

You might spend a bit of time on your first character creation (as you create 4 characters for your party.) and you might want to restart once or twice to get a good feeling of what abilities you like more and what's more useful... but the rest is pretty straight forward.

When a battle breaks out, you move around, get behind cover. You see your chances of hitting someone, how many points it will cost, etc. You might screw up at first as you get used to what's more important and how to stay alive, not waste ammo, etc. And it's turn based so you got time to think about what you will do without freaking out.

It's an easy to learn but hard to master type of deal.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Adalicia

Mod

to Adalicia
quote:
Fallout & Fallout 2 are two of the greatest games to ever be made

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

What the fuck is wrong with you?

I was occupied with other real life stuff when these games were release, which is beyond the scope of this thread.

When I actually got the games, I never really played them because I'd already played the shit out of FO:3 and NV.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

There is practically no learning curve.

There are just the traditional stats called CLASSIC (Coordination, Luck, Awareness, Strength, Speed, Intelligence, Charisma) that are all easily explained with mouse-over.

Thanks for that, sounds pretty straightforward in this case. I'll probably pick this up in fairly short order.

EQ

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to El Quintron

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

When I actually got the games, I never really played them because I'd already played the shit out of FO:3 and NV.

EQ

Jokes aside, in all seriousness you need to play those games.

While I think FO:3 and NV are decent games in their own right they cannot and should not be compared to the first two games. They share SOME of the same elements in the RPG aspects, some of the lore and the sense of humor but really...they aren't in the same ballpark.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Like I said, the hardest part in the beginning is probably character creation (if you want to customize your own party.)

The first time I launched the game, I must have spent 30-60 minutes creating my perfect party. Only to find myself, an hour later, with 2 characters permadead, everyone out of ammo and realizing my party sucks ass, so I restarted the whole thing and spent another 30 minutes making a decent party...

Some tips:

While you need to have at least one character that will stay away from the firefights who will specialize in first aid and surgeon (I picked my sniper for that), you should have at least two characters able to heal and revive.

Ammo is rare, but ammo other than handgun ammo is even rarer so don't have everyone going for AR, shotguns or snipers. And distance matters, so make sure they are able to fight outside their role with something else (someone with a sniper rifle needs to be able to use something decently at short range, someone with a shotgun at long range or when there is only one enemy in blast range to avoid wasting ammo.)

And have at least one or two characters proficient in melee to save ammo in less serious fights.

And you should really do your best to avoid all shots where the hit chance is low (I almost never take a shot if it's under 70% unless I am desperate), unlike in Fallout 3/NV, you really need to ration that ammo.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

Jokes aside, in all seriousness you need to play those games.

I really do, I went ahead and spent an afternoon pimping out the first Fallout with a bunch of mods, but then one of my kids got into trouble and I forgot about it.

So I know it launches @1440p, but that's all I know it does so far.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
Duly noted,

I like that you need to make logical choices in order to be successful. I'm going to try and have a balanced party, I'll probably have to start over a couple of times though.

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

Gundy to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
Dude bros, I picked this game up a few nights ago and the rage factor with this one is in large amount.

For the love of christ, is there a issue with being under leveled before certain fights? I have been following the main quest and things got harder and harder until finally I am up against enemies with 150+ HP and just DEMOLISHING me before I can even get my turn.

I turned down the difficulty, but I'm honestly wondering if I went to far forward in the main quest... or.. yeah.. I'm mad.

It's a great game, but the punishment for messing up on some battles is ridiculous. Having to reload a battle more than 5 times puts a lot of anger in me for the game.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to ekster

to ekster
Explain to me why this is good. What makes it so captivating?

I am also guilty of never having played Fallout 1, 2 or Wasteland. I was into RTS more (since the original Dune in DOS) and didn't have the funds back then to indulge into all the games I wanted.

AND NOW I HAS ALL THE SPACESHIPS!

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to Gundy

Premium Member

to Gundy
said by Gundy:

For the love of christ, is there a issue with being under leveled before certain fights? I have been following the main quest and things got harder and harder until finally I am up against enemies with 150+ HP and just DEMOLISHING me before I can even get my turn.

This is not the type of game where you rush into the battle. I know I had that problem in the beginning, but I managed to work around it after many attempts. Small tactic adjustments made big changes for me.

For example, do you use your area to the best advantage? Standing next to walls, in corners, behind cover, not only makes you harder to hit, but also gives you an improved chance to hit, and combined with crouch and/or ambush, can make your shot really deadly. Just changing the spots where you stand and how you draw in the enemy (instead of charging them) can turn the battle quickly.

Do you also use explosives? They're rare and expensive... but in a pinch, they do some serious damage if you really need to use it. There are also explosives on the map that are worth blowing up at times.

If there are tight spots on the map, it's worth to waste a turn or two to get to them and block it to keep your support untouched while someone with a shotgun starts blasting 3-4 baddies per shot. Also pay attention to weapon types... there's no point wasting ammo on an unarmoured enemy, and energy weapons are completely wasted on them, whereas brawling with someone armoured is pointless, whilst the energy weapons would be devastating to them.

And you can also take a first shot at the stronger enemies before the battle even begins, with your sniper from safety, as or as whole team with everything they got.
ekster

ekster to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

Explain to me why this is good. What makes it so captivating?

I suggest you watch some of the game play videos to see if you'd enjoy it. It's really not a game for everyone.

But as for why I find it awesome... it's a basic 'here are your guns, here is your ammo, and here's a wasteland. Now go do your job.' There are no wacky RPG abilities or non-stop action. It's a slower, carefully planned game where you got to think about your spot, your angle, the shot you will take (or not). Where rushing thoughtlessly into the battle unprepared can get one of your chars permakilled in a single round.

Then there is the well written story and dialogue, and the choices of what you will do and how you will do it, who will you appease and who you will piss off, who will you save and who you will leave to die, etc.

This is a pretty balanced article with the pros and cons
»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· for.html
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Gundy

to Gundy
Make sure you have at least one toon with high charisma and good language skills (kiss-ass, smart-ass and/or hard-ass) and use that character for all dialogues. They're essential to pick up followers (you start with 4 characters but can pick up three more). One of those followers is at the Ranger base and can be picked up right after you find Ace's body (literally the first quest of the game) and is lvl 14, which helps A LOT when the rest of your group is lvl 2-3.

Another good idea is to make sure every toon you have has both a ranged ability and a melee one, with corresponding weapons equipped. Make sure you distribute your ranged skills and ammo type so each toon uses a different type of ammo.

I like the game but there's one thing that's really annoying me. You can't really have a standard party template (i.e. tanks in front, ranged in back, etc), unless there is a way and I just haven't figured it out yet. Even the original Baldur's Gate had that system, I can't believe a new game doesn't.

Marduk
join:2004-09-05
West Chester, PA

Marduk to ekster

to ekster
Oh man I miss playing Wasteland and Mars Saga on My C64. I'm going to have to check this out.

Hows this game holding up after a few months? Still playing it or is it on the shelf?
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

I finished it in about 30 hours but a lot of quest bugs and such are fixed by now, should be a very enjoyable experience for you.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to Marduk

Premium Member

to Marduk
The games is great. All the major bugs are fixed, the content is awesome and for fans of Wasteland, this game delivers.