uniqs

seaman
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

seaman

Premium Member

DHCP for wireless clients

I manage a small network with a new 2012 server that is now running DNS and DHCP. The Netgear WNDR4300 had been previously handling DHCP. I obviously disabled DHCP on the router as to not conflict. Only problem now is that wireless clients cannot connect. The SSID is visable, the encryption and password settings are correct. I have updated firware and redone the SSID and password just for kicks. Clients simply will not connect with error "the network will not respond or is not available." The only thing I have not done (yet) is set the router back to factory defaults and start over. Am I correct to think that the wireless clients should be getting their IP address from the server runing DHCP?

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

1 recommendation

Hard Harry7

It seems your server is not responding to the DHCP request from client. Can you see the requests coming in server side? Maybe try restarting the DHCP service? Maybe try a static IP to make sure the AP is working correctly and its not some other wireless issue. Just make sure to set the gateway,etc to your server info.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm to seaman

Premium Member

to seaman
I agree with Harry sounds like the DHCP service is not running, is the access points or wireless devices (access points) on the same subnet?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to seaman

MVM

to seaman
Are wired clients getting a DHCP response from the new server?

There could be an issue with the Netgear firmware that breaks wireless when using the router as a router and DHCP is disabled.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to seaman

Premium Member

to seaman
Does the router have an IP address on the network?
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to seaman

to seaman
plug the uplink cable into the switch port side of the AP, not into the WAN port and report back

seaman
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

seaman

Premium Member

Thanks to everybody for the great questions and suggestions. I would like to systematically review and try each one. Afterwards, I will report back.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to seaman

Premium Member

to seaman
So you are trying to change the DHCP from the 4300 to the 2012 server? And this has never worked before? I'd check your subnet, is it the same as the 4300? And are the wireless clients set for DHCP mode?