maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

10 years of uptime...

The Pirate Bay was founded in 2003, so it has been operating well over 10 years by now. And how much time has it been down in total? 10 days? Maybe 2 weeks? The worst raid where they took all the servers in Sweden caused them to be down for 3 days total. Other downtime was mostly DDoS, or quick, less then 24hr turnarounds on domain seizures.

The media industry has poured millions of dollars into trying to shut them down with lawyers in many countries, for many years. In addition a lot of tax dollars/euros/crowns/currency was spent by law enforcement trying to enforce the will of the media industry after yet another lawsuit.

Of course there have been convictions, and people have been sent to jail. (all have been released since the conviction too, Swedish court doesn’t put people away for many years on copyright infringement, the harshest sentence remained 10 months after appeal.

In short: The Pirate Bay can't be stopped. And should it ever be stopped, others have learned a lot from Pirtate Bay, and will setup a new site.... probably in days, if not hours.

Every effort ever tried by the media industry to shut down any form of piracy has failed. They managed to shut down central server based services like Napster, but piracy will just spread out to harder and harder to catch systems.

Next up is encryption. Although the TOR protocol is really only used for websites, a TOR-based network could service torrents as well, and the technology is pretty much already invented. If torrents get totally shut down by legal action of some sort, a encryption based network will probably be up and running within weeks, if not days.

Piracy cannot be stopped. They may be able to slow it down a little, at the cost of millions of dollars, but it can't be stopped.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

This is honestly why I love TPB, Even if I do not use it I love how it proves the futility of the attempts to fight piracy by force.

Costa
proud PIE-RATE
join:2007-07-06
Selden, NY

Costa

I'm a proud pie-rate, go fokk yourselves

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
Say what you will and argue all day and night about the legality of their service, but no one can deny the people that run TPB sure know how to keep it running.