All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wh7qq
join:2012-06-12

wh7qq

Heads-up for Dish/Exede customers

I'll put the moral of the story up front so you can read it first and go on only if you wish: If you are off-contract with Dish and looking at a different service, Call Dish first and haggle with them..."What will you do to keep my business...?"

I called first for some info several weeks ago and they offered to extend my "$10 credit" for 10 months. Today, I called to actually cancel and the sweet young thing finally got down to a $35 credit before I told her I had already signed a contract with Exede.

Been a Dish/Exede customer since June of 2012, generally pleased with the service as it is fast and dependable but worried because my dealer stopped supporting them and went to straight Exede and Dish would need a full month to schedule a service call at my location (remote Hawaii). After 2 yrs in a salty marine environment, I figured something would fail and I'd be stuck without service for a month.

At the same time, they ended the "$10/month credit" so I would now be paying $71/month for the 10G service. The Evolution 5G plan looked good because I never use more than about 4G in a month...don't stream and use the LNFZ for heavy stuff. Credit, shmreddit...its a $10/month increase in my cost.

How stupid is it to raise the rates in a competitive environment when the customer is no longer locked in, and then offer to cut their rates in half only when they start to cancel? They have long since recovered the cost of the installation so the non-contract customer is pure gravy. They should initiate a loyalty credit on their own and not wait until folks are ready to walk.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by wh7qq:

They have long since recovered the cost of the installation

With DBS and Satellite-ISPs, last I knew, they make the money after the contract has expired.

Its why their contracts have early termination fees, along with your credit card/etc info...

Subscriber churn makes a difference on their bottom line.
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to wh7qq

to wh7qq
DirecTV does the same thing with their service, as does Dish. And Sirius/XM for sat radio. Always offer "deals" to keep the customer happy if they threaten to quit, otherwise, they don't just "give" loyal customers a break.

That being said, I was one of the first DirecTV customers since its inception. This year, in honor of being a loyal, first-time customer, they offered me a VERY nice gift, saving me hundreds of dollars off my bill this year. Now that is a way to say "thank you". If only other companies started doing this, they might keep long-term customers more satisfied.