All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

igirl
join:2011-02-05
Manteca, CA

igirl

[Tampa] Sarasota - Does BHN have an ISP Cache?

I do web design and have been having a heck of a time seeing changes appear to my sites after I've immediately uploaded them. Sometimes it never does update no matter how many times I upload - until I go away for an hour or two and then, magically - the updates are seen! (Tested on multiple devices and browsers of course)

I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off or reset this ISP caching myself?

I read the following online about the possibility that the fault may be the ISP
Internet Service Provider Cache

In the same way that your web browser has a cache of recent web pages, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may be doing some caching on your behalf.

In some (rare) cases, even though you are using shift-refresh to get new data from a webpage, the pages still seem to be old. This may be because your Internet Service Provider also has a cache and their cache may not be set up quite right, and they are not downloading the latest web pages.

When you encounter this problem you will have to communicatie with your ISP to fix this problem
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Negative...you see this more in Sat based service providers than land....but it could be your host actually. Who is your hosting provider?

igirl
Manteca, CA

igirl

Thanks so much for your reply!

The host is FatCow - I'll have to check with them next then. It's very difficult to track down. Thanks again!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to igirl

Premium Member

to igirl
Here is your answer btw

»www.fatcow.com/knowledge ··· bid=7269

igirl
Manteca, CA

igirl

You beat me to it

Thanks again! Many thanks!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to igirl

Premium Member

to igirl
This is very annoying thing....frankly if they aren't willing to turn it off or can't I would find a new host. Yes...there are a few advantages but none that outweigh the headaches...hosting is cheap...you can do much better.
swbrains
join:2004-04-14
Land O Lakes, FL

swbrains to igirl

to igirl
Just wondering... Did you try deleting the browser's cache/temporary internet files? Also, most browsers support CTRL+F5 as a "forced" refresh of the current page NOT from the cache. Try it next time you upload a new version of a page and see if it helps.

I do web development as well, and often upload several changes per *minute* when working on something, and they're always returned immediately except when the browser itself caches it, which I can easily control or disable. If the host somehow forced a multi-hour cached version back to me, it would drive my productivity to a halt.

You may also want to see if your browser has a "Delete Cache" add-on/extension/toolbar button that you can use to quickly delete the cache and enforce a refresh of the physical page rather than a cached copy. I use Chrome and they have several cache-delete button extensions that work well for this purpose.
swbrains

swbrains to igirl

to igirl
Just found this on their knowledgebase:
"File Management: How to Manage Your Server-Side Caching"
»www.fatcow.com/knowledge ··· eID=1909
Hope it helps... seems it indicate you can disable server-side caching for various file types.

Even with the server cache disabled -- be sure to use your browser options to force fresh copies when you reload the page after a change. The browser cache may still apply even after disabling the server-side caching.

igirl
Manteca, CA

igirl to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
They do provide for turning the caching off or customizing it - it's just set to on by default... they use Akamai browser caching.

Thanks again!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by igirl:

They do provide for turning the caching off or customizing it - it's just set to on by default... they use Akamai browser caching.

Thanks again!

Yay!