spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Link Analysis Help

So, For the past five years I've been living in my house with no connectivity.

I'm ready to build a tower to connect back to my network.

I currently have a Trylon 56' I could put up on my end. With a mast I could get to 70' with a Nanobeam but that is push the height.

My GPS coordinates:

38 59 8.9628 N
75 46 6.2940 W

I have two options for remote sites:

300' here - can put a Nanobeam
38 46 2.2836 N
75 44 47.0040 W

Second possible 120'
38 55 19.9884 N
75 57 17.7300 W

So what are the odds it will work? Can somebody run a link analysis that takes into account the trees? Thanks!
jim_p_price7
join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK

jim_p_price7

Unless I got the coordinates wrong, site 1 at 300 feet looks doable. It's a 15 mile shot though, and with Nanobeam M5 400's at each end you'd be pushing the distance limit with those units. I used 60 feet at the receive end.

Site 2 is much less optimistic. It's 5 miles shorter, but you've got a few Fresnel incursions along the way.

Sign up for a free Ligowave LinkCalc account and you can check this stuff out for yourself in the future.
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

said by jim_p_price7:

Sign up for a free Ligowave LinkCalc account and you can check this stuff out for yourself in the future.

No shit. That was my first stop. There are other things to use like Radio Mobile that can take into account tree coverage. Hoping someone chimes in with that which I don't know how to use.
said by jim_p_price7:

Nanobeam M5 400's at each end you'd be pushing the distance limit with those units.

I have 15 miles links with Nanobridges so I'm not sure why that would be correct.
jim_p_price7
join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK

jim_p_price7

If my response offended you I apologize. Just sharing my experience.

Good luck with your link my friend!
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
said by wirelessdog:

Can somebody run a link analysis that takes into account the trees? Thanks!

Sorry, I no longer have Radio Mobile as it was installed on a Windows computer I used to have at work. I only have linux at home and have not tried to make it work through Wine.
Have you tried the Radio Mobile online version? I have not compared it with the local version so don't know how well it depicts tree cover. I know with the local version I had to tweak the landcover.dat file to get more realistic depictions.
»www.cplus.org/rmw/rmonline.html

margioa
Premium Member
join:2007-04-06
Nicaragua

margioa to wirelessdog

Premium Member

to wirelessdog
Click for full size
ds
Click for full size
ds-RMpath
Click for full size
ds
Click for full size
ds-RMpath
ptp-profileA.kml.zip
163,459 bytes
ptp-profileB.kml.zip
157,042 bytes

said by wirelessdog:

Hoping someone chimes in with that which I don't know how to use.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
You beat me to it bu five minutes
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

So, tower construction tomorrow. I have a 55' boom lift for said construction. From 55' I am not able to pick out the tower even the lights in the dark. Granted at just over 15 miles it might be a little tough for me to see.

Are there any other technical fun things we can do with this link to site A before I have failure tomorrow?

Thanks
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky

I'd recommend towercoverage.com to check your link out.

sorry about that, it had to be done! Is the link up at the other end, if you're already on the lift, can you just hold up a dish and try the link, maybe check to an existing signal.
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

said by prairiesky:

I'd recommend towercoverage.com to check your link out.

I tried but their site is down again lol.
wirelessdog

wirelessdog

I'll post more in a few hours when we have completed the work. Playing with Radio Mobile it appears I am brushing the tops of the trees at 60' which is 5' higher than I can see on the lift. If I drop the height to 55' it no longer works. Up to 70' and I am golden. So... the goal is to have the Nanobeam at 70' and we will see what happens.
wirelessdog

wirelessdog

Nanobeam at 70-72' no dice. -88 best signal. Guess Radio Mobile isn't that accurate on land cover unfortunately.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

Actually it is accurate when you walk the path for a ground truth, though sometimes you need to calibrate you tree height settings.
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

said by WHT:

calibrate you tree height settings.

There ya go.
bburley
join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB

bburley

I noticed that in the Radio Mobile settings used the Rx sensitivity was set at -80. If my memory is correct, in order to achieve max modulation scheme (speed) it should be set to about -73. Also the power output will reduce at max modulation.