Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

[Connectivity] Intermittent connection drop with good signals

Click for full size
Click for full size
Recently had comcast installed in our apartment unit and after some installation issues we finally have the service up and running. However, at least several times a day the connection drops out entirely. This usually lasts 1 - 10 minutes.

Usually I notice some part of the internet service stops working - streaming music stops, game disconnects, netflix pauses, or web pages just wont load. I run a ping to my first hop and notice it always times out. I check my signal page and notice usually the channels show "Not Locked." After 1-10 minutes, everything comes back working normally.

We had a tech come out and he changed us from splitting off another unit's line to our own line from the pole. This increased our downstream signal from about +4.5 to about +6.5 but both are still within range. It just seems that several times a day, the signal drops out entirely.

Part of the problem is it is unpredictable and usually pretty short lived so I can never get on the phone with tech support or show it when a tech visits.

I've included a screen shot of the signal pages during one of the drops. As you can see, the signal will be fine and then shows all not locked. We have one of the Technicolor TC8305C all in one units. I am wondering if that unit is the problem since the signal levels seem to be fine.

I know the direct forum is closed but anyone have a similar issue or know how to go about fixing this?

Edit: Chicago area, 60647
snipper_cr

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Anyone able to offer any insight? Problem still occurring as specified.
snipper_cr

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Any one please? Still getting this several times a day.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to snipper_cr

MVM

to snipper_cr
said by snipper_cr:

Recently had comcast installed in our apartment unit and after some installation issues we finally have the service up and running. However, at least several times a day the connection drops out entirely. This usually lasts 1 - 10 minutes.

Usually I notice some part of the internet service stops working - streaming music stops, game disconnects, netflix pauses, or web pages just wont load. I run a ping to my first hop and notice it always times out. I check my signal page and notice usually the channels show "Not Locked." After 1-10 minutes, everything comes back working normally.

Part of the problem is it is unpredictable and usually pretty short lived so I can never get on the phone with tech support or show it when a tech visits.

I've included a screen shot of the signal pages during one of the drops. As you can see, the signal will be fine and then shows all not locked. We have one of the Technicolor TC8305C all in one units. I am wondering if that unit is the problem since the signal levels seem to be fine.

Is there a Log File for the TC8305C that you can access? If so, then could you post a screenshot of that, as there could be some messages in that that could provide us a clue about what may be going on.

My best guesses right now:

1. Poor upstream SNR(s) [uSNR] or intermittent interfering signal/ingress noise causing the gateway to temporaily lose lock and then having to re-acquire/re-range.

2. An issue with that particular Technicolor TC8305C unit which requires that it be replaced.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to snipper_cr

Premium Member

to snipper_cr
are there log pages on that modem? Do you rent or own the modem?
It's likely a noise pulse but could be caused by something at your house, next door, or somewhere up the line.
The further out, the more people who would complain
keeping your own log/journal of every time/date it happens, might show a pattern. you could trade/rent a different modem for a month to see if that helps. and keep calling in for a tech, they can't fix what they don't know about

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Click for full size
Thanks for the replies guys. Here is a log from the past few days. If the log is off by an hour, the last 2 events at 903a and 904a were associated with something similar to the first post. Loss of internet connection followed by all channels going "not locked." After a few seconds, the channels show as "locked" and I get internet connectivity back. Total time is about a minute to two minutes.
snipper_cr

snipper_cr

Premium Member

I've been reading that those T3 timeouts can be associated with similar issues I am having - occasional disconnects and reconnects. Any advice for that?

Yes still having the problem so I guess this is a bump.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by snipper_cr:

I've been reading that those T3 timeouts can be associated with similar issues I am having - occasional disconnects and reconnects. Any advice for that?

From: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What do messages about timeouts mean?
quote:
T3 ( Ranging Request Retries Exhausted )

Explanation: The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also lower the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem's power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R03.0, Ranging Request.
As the signal levels and SNRs that you modem display all look OK, then, as I had said above:
said by telcodad:

My best guesses right now:

1. Poor upstream SNR(s) [uSNR] or intermittent interfering signal/ingress noise causing the gateway to temporaily lose lock and then having to re-acquire/re-range.

2. An issue with that particular Technicolor TC8305C unit which requires that it be replaced.

Give Comcast a call and tell them you want to check your upstream SNR (uSNR) readings.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Will the techs I reach on the phone know what that is and how to check it? If not who would I call/how to get a hold of them?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by snipper_cr:

Will the techs I reach on the phone know what that is and how to check it? If not who would I call/how to get a hold of them?

Yeah, it's kind of a crap shoot on what the response may be when you call in for that: »Re: [CustSvc] Modem Owners: How is Comcast tech support for connection issues?

If the CSR gives you a hard time, tell them to transfer you to technical support.

If that doesn't work, you can always ask netcool See Profile if he could check it for you.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by telcodad:

said by snipper_cr:

Yeah, it's kind of a crap shoot on what the response may be when you call in for that: »Re: [CustSvc] Modem Owners: How is Comcast tech support for connection issues?

If the CSR gives you a hard time, tell them to transfer you to technical support.

If that doesn't work, you can always ask netcool See Profile if he could check it for you.

Well it seemed for a while that the problem was fixed - we had no timeouts and the connection was fine until today when things were terrible - multiple disconnects/modem resets and T3 and even T4 time out (not sure difference). Attached is the log.

I tried calling comcast again and spoke with two different reps because the first one got disconnected. Neither of them had any idea what a T3 timeout was and insisted on sending a reset. I then explained it had been done many times before but they wanted to do it anyways. He put me on hold for a while to look up the error and explained that it was a problem between the modem and the comcast network. He then asked if I can clear my cookies for which I explained that if the problem is between the modem and network, why would I clear cookies - I humored him anyways and made sure he noted what we accomplished. I then told them I wanted to get our upstream signal level and signal to noise ratio. The tech directed me to a speed test web site for which I explained I didnt want speeds but signal levels. He then said that he was unable to view that information.

So yeah, 2 calls to tech support and none of them have any idea what I am talking about. They will not elevate it to a level 2 tech because the problem is occurring at the moment and they want to do basic level trouble shooting.

The call ended with me explaining that he was unable to address the T3 time out which causes connection drop for a period of 30seconds to 1 minute that was occurring multiple times a day and that he was unable to give me the upstream signal/SNR.

So, any help?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by snipper_cr:

said by telcodad:

said by snipper_cr:

Well it seemed for a while that the problem was fixed - we had no timeouts and the connection was fine until today when things were terrible - multiple disconnects/modem resets and T3 and even T4 time out (not sure difference). Attached is the log.
:
The call ended with me explaining that he was unable to address the T3 time out which causes connection drop for a period of 30seconds to 1 minute that was occurring multiple times a day and that he was unable to give me the upstream signal/SNR.

So, any help?

If you haven't already, I'd PM netcool See Profile about this.

If you send him your modem's CM-MAC address, he can check things, like the uSNR, at the CMTS for you.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

If you haven't already, I'd PM netcool See Profile about this.

If you send him your modem's CM-MAC address, he can check things, like the uSNR, and the CMTS for you.

copy, will do.